Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Itchy Scalp

Brynn
@brynn
11 years ago
7 posts

Any suggestions on what to do about an itchy scalp? Practically just got mine and my head has been itching...to the point of getting annoying. I've scrubbed my hair at the roots but still seems to itch, could be the shampoo I'm using but who knows. Any "natural" remedies or any advice would be much appreciated!

Cheers!

updated by @brynn: 02/14/15 10:49:26AM
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
11 years ago
2,702 posts

Get a small spray bottle. I use a 6oz bottle. Add about 20 drops of peppermint oil, a good squirt of jojoba oil, and fill the rest with water. Shake well, and go nuts. Peppermint oil have a very nice cooling property which helpalleviate itchies. You can add other oils to it for scent, but the peppermint is the one you really want. And ALWAYS use wither jojoba or sweet almond oil, too. Both of those are applicator oils. Most essential oils are pretty caustic to your skin if you use the in high concentrations. An applicator oil will help keep you from burning yourself with the EO's.

What are you washing with now?

Brynn
@brynn
11 years ago
7 posts

Thanks! I will certainly try that! It actually has stopped being so itchy, so I think the itch may have been my hair follicles healing ( I latch hooked)

Right now I am washing with something called "everyday shea shampoo" it has about 4 ingredients in it, something fairly natural but I was unsure if it is residue free. I found a place that sells dr.brooners so that's what my plan is for dread care in the future.

Baba Fats said:

Get a small spray bottle. I use a 6oz bottle. Add about 20 drops of peppermint oil, a good squirt of jojoba oil, and fill the rest with water. Shake well, and go nuts. Peppermint oil have a very nice cooling property which helpalleviate itchies. You can add other oils to it for scent, but the peppermint is the one you really want. And ALWAYS use wither jojoba or sweet almond oil, too. Both of those are applicator oils. Most essential oils are pretty caustic to your skin if you use the in high concentrations. An applicator oil will help keep you from burning yourself with the EO's.

What are you washing with now?

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
11 years ago
2,702 posts

Check what your water quality is like before using Dr. B's. While it's become the "go-to" soap for locks, what most people don't know is that castile soaps don't work well in hard water. I don't know where you're at in the sates, but check to make sure. I can't seem to get the pic to load on this message, but you can google "hard water in the US" and see what your area looks like.

Castile soaps are great, but none of them work in hard water. They leave residue and buildup in your locks.

the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

updated by @the-barrellady: 02/05/15 10:12:49AM
Brynn
@brynn
11 years ago
7 posts

Neat! Thanks you both, I certainly live in a soft water area at the moment so lucky me! Ive heard a lot of good reviews for that soap, so I will just go with that. Thanks for all the info !

the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

Forgot to mention After you wash and rinse your dreads, finish off with a cold head rinse, as cold as you can take. This gives the scalp comfort, is refreshing, stops some itching and closes the pores.....peace

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

the latch hook probly iritated the hell out of your scalp thats really a horible thing to do to dreads..practicly torturee

did a salon sdo it or did you do it cause u got bad info off youtube?

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Brynn
@brynn
11 years ago
7 posts

I will do that for sure! The itch has pretty much resided but I figure my scalp is still healing, so it will probably take some time for it to completely stop.

the Barrellady said:

Forgot to mention After you wash and rinse your dreads, finish off with a cold head rinse, as cold as you can take. This gives the scalp comfort, is refreshing, stops some itching and closes the pores.....peace

Brynn
@brynn
11 years ago
7 posts

I agree! I'm sure my scalp is very angry with me right now. I did get bad info off of youtube indeed, the reason why I decided to start them this way (before I realised how bad it was) was because of the job I work. Though knowing what I do now, I wish I wouldve just gone with the neglect method and delt with the consequences at work. But oh well, what's done is done.

soaring eagle said:

the latch hook probly iritated the hell out of your scalp thats really a horible thing to do to dreads..practicly torturee

did a salon sdo it or did you do it cause u got bad info off youtube?

/ 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form