Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

When can i start decorating?

dizzy
@dizzy
11 years ago
21 posts

Hello, i apologise ahead of time if there's already a topic about this but i looked without finding any results.

Anyhow, i'm only a couple days into natural dreading but my hair is sectioning very quickly and knotting up! I was wondering when i'll probably be able to start wearing beads, hair wraps, charms etc. in my dreads. Right now they're basically just the width of yarn but i have a feeling they'll thicken up fast.

I know it varies from person to person, but could someone give a rough estimate?

Thanks in advance :)

PS attached is a photo of how far my dreads are already.

updated by @dizzy: 01/22/20 09:33:16AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

i started by putting wraps n beads in straight hair

so u can at any time..but

heres a few things to remember

dreads fatten up..beads dont

wraps dont

when u wrap a dread too young (x pattern wrap may flex enough to not be as bad not surw tho) when u wrap a dread it keeps that real thin while the roots can get 4 times fatter in months

a bead will leave a thin spot where the bead gets stuck with thick area above and below

if u take em out move em around etc its not a big deal

u can decorate anytime but remember what your dreads are doing and you'll know what to do

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
dizzy
@dizzy
11 years ago
21 posts

Thanks, i'll keep what you've said in mind before doing any of it.

soaring eagle said:

i started by putting wraps n beads in straight hair

so u can at any time..but

heres a few things to remember

dreads fatten up..beads dont

wraps dont

when u wrap a dread too young (x pattern wrap may flex enough to not be as bad not surw tho) when u wrap a dread it keeps that real thin while the roots can get 4 times fatter in months

a bead will leave a thin spot where the bead gets stuck with thick area above and below

if u take em out move em around etc its not a big deal

u can decorate anytime but remember what your dreads are doing and you'll know what to do

Sunflower
@sunflower
11 years ago
95 posts

You can straight away, I have a hair wrap which was made even before I began my locks (so the wrap is now around a year old) and the hair which grows just dreads up :) I also had beads straight away in, and some fell out but it didn't really bother me. I do have 2 beads which are permanently stuck in there (the middle/bottom of my locks curl up and go crazy so are much thicker there) and so they cant be removed but its also part of the beauty :) I prefer having feathers or shells in my hair attached with string, so it can always be cut out if you dont want it anymore

Kubilay KAPUCU
@kubilay-kapucu
11 years ago
76 posts
Im not an expert or anything but i hear that the beads can get "eaten" i guess by the maturing dreads. So the only way u can get them out (if u want that is) is to cut through and get it. dont recomend doing that because the hair will get weaker and weaker as a result unhealthy and wilting dreads.Hope this will helpPeace from Turkey!
amethyst777
@amethyst777
11 years ago
95 posts

When I started I put a few beads in places that wouldn't stay separated and they became permanent. I kept a couple, but since I used wooden beads, I just squeezed them with a pair of pliers and got them off pretty easily. So decorate away, just maybe use something that can be broken off if you decide you don't want it anymore.
I did a wrap with embroidery thread, and it almost got eaten, it was way harder to get out than the beads. So, that's my experience :)
Good luck!

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form