Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Any tips for visually reducing a large forehead?

dizzy
@dizzy
11 years ago
21 posts

Hello, i'm currently in the process of obtaining natural dreads. I'm only a short ways in and i already have a question.

Is there any way to make my forehead appear smaller? I have a slightly larger than average forehead due to a hairline that's kinda far back. It's not from hair loss or anything, i was born that way and it runs in the family.

I really don't want any bangs/fringe because i want to keep as much thickness as i can. Could i style my dreads a certain way to take attention off my forehead? I'm afraid i might accidentally accentuate it with the wrong style.

Attached is an extremely unflattering early-morning picture showcasing my hairline. To give you guys a better idea of what i'm dealing with.

Thanks in advance for any helpful answers.

updated by @dizzy: 01/13/15 09:54:07PM
Jayke Watson
@jayke-watson
11 years ago
118 posts

It might just be me, but in that picture your forehead looks totally normal so I think maybe just have your dreads like the way you've got your hair in that photo?

Peace

dizzy
@dizzy
11 years ago
21 posts

I don't think i'd be able to do that with dreads because my natural hair's slightly wavy and my hair dreads straight. So it wouldn't have the same effect, since my natural hair kinda curves around the bulk of my forehead.

Jayke Watson said:

It might just be me, but in that picture your forehead looks totally normal so I think maybe just have your dreads like the way you've got your hair in that photo?

Peace

Hannah Moore
@hannah-moore
11 years ago
68 posts

I agree with Jayke you hairline looks normal to me... If it bothers you still when you have dreads then you can just try out different ways to have them and see what you like =]

Angel Frye
@angel-frye
11 years ago
409 posts

Scarf wraps. That's about the only thing I can think of right off hand. It might look really cute, too!! Your style changes a bit when you get into locking up your hair.

I have the same issue, dizzy. My Irish/Scottish forehead is just... wow. A billboard. A scenic route with freckles. A sun reflector. Those are just a few self deprecating things I've thought of over the years. lol But I've just learned to live with it and laugh at it as part of my heritage.

I have found that having the hair up on top of the head can distract the eyes a bit and make large facial features seem smaller. So loosely flipped in a pony tail pseudo-bun, maybe? I wear it like that a lot out and about. You just put your hair in a loose pony tail but don't pull it all the way through.

It's kinda like how a person with a lot of long hair doesn't seem like they have such a big ass but when they chop all their hair off up in a pixie cut suddenly all you can stare at is their barn wide ass. It's not barn wide, of course. It's just the visual balance is lost from top to bottom from what you're used to seeing on them. I've had this happen a lot with friends who suddenly got in the mood to 'lighten up' their hair style. They' find that they don't like their lower half in the mirror anymore. Weird, huh?

So if it's all a visual trick and it's all about balance then maybe wearing your hair higher up will make eyes focus up there instead. Try it and send use some pictures from different angles. Just bear in mind that as you lock up that everything changes. It gets wild and hair for about a half a year so you'll automatically be fuller on top. That in itself might be all the change you need.

Sweet,
@sweet
11 years ago
133 posts

Just make sure you have a mall peice of hair left out of dreading for a very thin fringe, you don't have to have it cut straight across, it can be made wispy, this will reduce the look of a larger forhead alot. Another thing is don't have a middle parting have it going to the side, that will make a very big difference.

Not that you need to do so - your forhead looks fine, but i know how it feels if we see ourselves in a certian way and we want to balance things out. As you get older you will realize that your forhead is beautiful and unique.

Peace :)

the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

You look just fine to me, beautiful in fact. No one will be looking at the forehead that you see, they will be looking at your beautiful dreadlocks.......peace

Angel Frye
@angel-frye
11 years ago
409 posts

The center-part thing doesn't really get to be an issue as you get further into your first year so no worries if you do let it stay parted in the middle. Why? Because you'll find that as your sections firm up that you can flip them any way you want. Easy peasy lemon squeezy, as my kids say. It might not seem as natural at first but as the locks mature it looks more natural, trust me.

Having slightly shorter locks in the front can help, too! YES! That is very true. I trim/taper mine so that I have shorter locks that are only as long as my cheekbones or my chin while the rest of my hair is longer. I'll always keep that fringe because it does frame the face nicely with my hair up. If the fringe slips free from an up-do then it looks very nice.

Big foreheads are sexy. At least that's what my husband says. I think I read somewhere that at one time it was thought that the bigger the forehead the smarter the person? And sheesh, back in the middle ages women used to purposely pluck their hairline to give themselves a bigger forehead!

dizzy
@dizzy
11 years ago
21 posts

Awh, thanks very much you guys. I suppose it really doesn't look as bad to other people as i thought it did. I got teased a lot for it when i was little so i guess i just kinda got traumatised.

Thanks again though, i'll keep what everyone's said in mind :)

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form