Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Dreadlock Shampoo

Jackie Turner
@jackie-turner
11 years ago
76 posts

I know the featured members say that the dreadlockshampoo.com bars are good for locks. I have been using baking soda wash and acv rinse since I started dreading, and that's all. My head gets itchy and my dreads are brittle and coarse feeling. I'm not sure if your dreads are supposed to feel like this when the are young, or if its the washing. I have been dreading for 3 months now. I thought about trying a few different soaps from different shops and I just cant bring my self to buy it without actually getting some reviews on it. I want soap that smells good that will also keep my dreads from coming undone, or even progressing them. I want to make sure that my dreads are healthy as well, nothing damaging, of course. So, any recommendations?

updated by @jackie-turner: 01/13/15 09:54:06PM
Thane Andrew Fox * Dancing Fox *
@thane-andrew-fox-dancing-fox
11 years ago
7 posts

I would seriously recommend the Shampoo Bars from dreadlockshampoo.com. They smell great and what they do for your hair is even better. After you changed your shampoo to a more dread appropriate one you probably noticed that your hair felt much more coarse as time went on. This is normal. The introduction of the baking soda wash has changed the texture of your hair. This helps it to become caught, tangled, and knotted much more easily. I have heard the Baking Soda Wash is something that really varies from person to person. But if you're dead-set on a shampoo that smells good, is good for not only your hair and scalp but for the environment as well -- Then I seriously seriously seriously recommend the Bars from the site listed above. They have done so much for me and all the different varieties of scents gives you a veritable smorgasbord of healthy dreadlock goodness. I'm tellin' you this because it worked for me. Either way I am happy you've taken up the dreadlock journey and either way you choose to go I wish you happiness, peace, strength, endurance and most of all lots of love! :)

Hope this was helpful.

Thane

Jackie Turner
@jackie-turner
11 years ago
76 posts

Thanks alot! You have completed my purchase! :)

the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

Just out of curiosity, what ratio were you using for the baking soda and did you really use the ACV each time?

I personally use the liquid from Dreadlockshampoo and will use the bars when my dreads are completely mature.

peace

Jackie Turner
@jackie-turner
11 years ago
76 posts

I wasn't really measuring the amount. I did the first time and after I estimated my amounts to match. Sometimes I use a little extra of each when I haven't washed in a couple of days. I also drop 5-10 drops of tea tree oil in my baking soda.

Should I buy the liquid and use it until my dreads mature? I have already bought them but I don't want to ruin my dreads or stop their progress.

the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

Ratio is fairly important when using the baking soda wash /acv rinse. I used it for my first year. If you already have the bar, then use that, just wet the bar, rub it with your hands and then rub the scalp, when you rinse it out it will run through the hair. When your dreads are mature, then you can rub it on them. I bought the liquid shampoo and what I do is fill a squirt bottle, like the one used for dyes, and add the amount of shampoo I would use before dreading, then I squirt it all over my wet scalp, the thin tip helps to get it everywhere. Because I add water, it also runs down through my dreads, (15+ months but not mature yet). Then when I rinse it out, some more runs through my dreads. I do gently rub the scalp with the shampoo in.

Just in case you want to ever exfoliate the scalp with BS, use this ratio. Mix 1/2 cup of BS to 5 cups water, pour over head and leave on for 10 minutes, rinse out well. Always, always follow up with the ACV rinse or your hair will dry out. So, mix 1-2 capfuls of ACV to 5 cups water, pour over rinsed out head and then rinse the ACV 1 minute later. The ACV softens the hair, is a natural conditioner for dreads and balances back the hair PH from using the BS. Without using it, the hair gets fried......

peace

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

thats why i stopped the baking soda and why ill only use dreadlockshampoo now

and its not just the feature members that would recomend em its pretty much everyone that ever used em and they smell awesome and my dreads..and scalp have never been healthirr have not hadan itcg=h since the switch

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form