dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

To Bang or not to Bang?

Marissa Victoria
@marissa-victoria
11 years ago
34 posts

Hey peeps,

So I've been on my journey now for 6 Months now, half year mark woohoo !! :)

My bangs are also getting quite long and my plan WAS to keep em long until my dreads were formed so that I could keep em from getting eaten by the other dreads.

Once all the dreads were together I was gunna cut my bangs so that I could have some bangs and dreads because I frankly like the look of both. But nowwww my bangs are pretty long to the point where they are wanting to dread and I'm re-thinking if I should even cut them and if I should just let them dread?

But I just can't decide because I do like how dreads look with a lil bit of bang; at the same time I feel like they are going to want to dread and don't know if I want to maintain the bangs orrr let em dread?

ALSO my other concerns are that idk how they will section and I'm hoping I don't look too scalpy if they do dread.

Sooo to bang or not to bang?

updated by @marissa-victoria: 02/05/18 06:03:38AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

let en dead i mean cmon look at you youd look silly with bangs but a full head of dreads? wow

and yea thats what it wants so let it have what it wants it will look better in my opinion without bangs

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Jess8
@jess8
11 years ago
10 posts

i have long bangs like you, and i left mine long and undreaded. i personally like how it looks. i don't have to do anything to maintain my bangs...just wash them like normal and they get enough finger combing from me running my hands through them to keep them from dreading. i don't brush or comb them. i like the versatility of being able to put it up in a pomp or just leave them down if i have my hair up, that way they kind of soften the look a little.

i don't think it looks silly at all, and that's really more of a personal opinion, not a reason why she shouldn't do it. in fact, i kind of resent that comment, being a dready with bangs. aren't we supposed to do what feels right instead of doing what other people think you should?

Marissa, do what you think looks best. you can always change your mind. don't let someone saying you'd look silly influence your decision.

Marissa Victoria
@marissa-victoria
11 years ago
34 posts

Im gonna let em dread I think :)

It's what it wants your right !!

They are gunna go slow I think though, because the hairs on the side of my face havent really formed yet from the oils on my skin I'm thinking?

But I feel like the bangs are also going to be skinny.

BlasphemyBlack
@blasphemyblack
11 years ago
35 posts

ive got longish side bangs, and in the course of a year ive dreaded and un dreaded some of it a few times as i couldnt decide if i wanted to keep it loose. i personaly prefer having some lose hair around my face so im keeping my bangs

but it is ur decision, go for it if it makes you happy. and if you chnge ur mind its not like u cant undo it!!

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

its not silly on everyone on some its cute but for her i say letem dread

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

It's a personal choice really. I like them both ways....dreads that is..... Looks nice and soft when gals have updo's with undreaded long bangs. And of course. looks awesome when all hair is dreaded. Only you know what would be best for you.

I will say that you are still young, don't know what your future profession would be. But due to stigma by some, dreads all piled nice on the head and soft bangs would maybe, and I mean maybe, open more doors than a full head of dreads...

I know I'll get a lot of comments for that one, but I believe it to be true in general.....they look beautiful right now.....peace

Randall Wilson
@randall-wilson
11 years ago
4 posts

i think you should dreadd:D

Marissa Victoria
@marissa-victoria
11 years ago
34 posts

Thank you all so much for the support and advice !!

As far as my job goes, I work at a Yoga studio that just recently hired me knowing I have dreads;

and in the Yoga world, I'm pretty sure its accepted; and I do plan on being a yoga teacher along side with a degree in Nutrition.

But ultimately ya'll are right about it being how I feel, and if they are going to dread I should just let em dread. I think I'm being hesitant because I feel like they are two very different looks in a way; the softer like everyone notices and then the softer.

I'm not really worried about what other people think, I just am hoping I like the way they turn out on me when I look in the mirror, which isn't often and thats why I need help with this lol

My gut is telling me to let em dread, so I'm pretty sure thats what I'll end up doing, and your right I can undread them if I miss the bangs; but for now, I won't fuss with them if they get teeny knotted, and see what happens. :)

Now I just wonder how they will section... hrrrmmm :]

Bibbsey
@bibbsey
11 years ago
4 posts

I have short bang's and A head of dread's and I really don't thnk it look's silly , Blessing's to you xx

Jess said:

i have long bangs like you, and i left mine long and undreaded. i personally like how it looks. i don't have to do anything to maintain my bangs...just wash them like normal and they get enough finger combing from me running my hands through them to keep them from dreading. i don't brush or comb them. i like the versatility of being able to put it up in a pomp or just leave them down if i have my hair up, that way they kind of soften the look a little.

i don't think it looks silly at all, and that's really more of a personal opinion, not a reason why she shouldn't do it. in fact, i kind of resent that comment, being a dready with bangs. aren't we supposed to do what feels right instead of doing what other people think you should?

Marissa, do what you think looks best. you can always change your mind. don't let someone saying you'd look silly influence your decision.

updated by @bibbsey: 07/03/15 03:14:40AM
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form