Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Hair length/thickness issues?

dizzy
@dizzy
11 years ago
21 posts

Hello, i wasn't sure if this would fit in any other category. Please correct me if i'm wrong.

Alright, i've got a couple things i'd like to stop worrying about.

1. My hair is quite long, down to the middle of my back. I do have layers, however, and i will grow those out to the same length before i dread.

But i was wondering, using the tnr method and then going natural, how much shrinkage should i expect? I have quite fine, straight hair though there's a lot of it.

I'd like to keep as much length as possible and i want to know if i'd have to grow my hair much longer in order to have at least chest-length dreads.

2. Second thing, thickness might be an issue. I have tons and tons of super-fine hair. It can look flat due to it's texture even though it's so thick it takes over an hour to blow-dry. If i use, say, 3/4 inch sections when i dread my hair, should that suffice?

I'm scared that they might look too thin or too sparse. I want nice, medium-thickness dreads about 1/2 inch to 3/4 inch in diameter. Should i be able to accomplish that with my hair type?

Thanks ahead of time :)

updated by @dizzy: 01/13/15 09:54:01PM
the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

Okay, lets start with your first question: SHRINKAGE. You can't get around it, no matter what method is used. My hair was almost at my waist when I started and 11 months into my journey most of it was at my shoulders. In order to mature, the sections loop, zig zag and slowly creep their way up to become the thickness of where the hair meets the scalp, that is your mature dread size.

So even starting out with the twist & rip method, the sections will appear thinner until mature, those will shrink, no way around loosing length. But again, the Biotin will help. Once the hair shrinks, it does grow fairly quickly.

The longer the hair, the more the shrinkage. You can have layered dreads or just cut it all the same length, depending how short the shortest is.

Okay, thickness or thinness is not an issue for dreadlocks. Whatever method you use, you really should let you hair section naturally first, it takes about a couple of weeks. After they go into sections on their own, you can divide any into smaller sections or you can join a couple to make them bigger. Assorted sized sections is awesome. The sizes you want are perfect. Your hair type will do this, so no worries.

You will be amazed how thick your super fine hair will look with dreads, you won't believe it is yours....peace

Oh yeah, don't blow dry dreadlocks, they will dry out

dizzy
@dizzy
11 years ago
21 posts

Thanks for the information! I was afraid you'd say that about the shrinkage but i suppose i'll have to deal with it. I usually have my hair pulled back anyway so shorter hair shouldn't be too strange.

And i hardly blow-dry my hair anyway since it takes so damn long, haha.

Peace.

the Barrellady said:

Okay, lets start with your first question: SHRINKAGE. You can't get around it, no matter what method is used. My hair was almost at my waist when I started and 11 months into my journey most of it was at my shoulders. In order to mature, the sections loop, zig zag and slowly creep their way up to become the thickness of where the hair meets the scalp, that is your mature dread size.

So even starting out with the twist & rip method, the sections will appear thinner until mature, those will shrink, no way around loosing length. But again, the Biotin will help. Once the hair shrinks, it does grow fairly quickly.

The longer the hair, the more the shrinkage. You can have layered dreads or just cut it all the same length, depending how short the shortest is.

Okay, thickness or thinness is not an issue for dreadlocks. Whatever method you use, you really should let you hair section naturally first, it takes about a couple of weeks. After they go into sections on their own, you can divide any into smaller sections or you can join a couple to make them bigger. Assorted sized sections is awesome. The sizes you want are perfect. Your hair type will do this, so no worries.

You will be amazed how thick your super fine hair will look with dreads, you won't believe it is yours....peace

Oh yeah, don't blow dry dreadlocks, they will dry out

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

u can tnr or go natural growing it longer to have dreads be longer bckfires as longer hair shrinks more

just let it dread dont worry bout layers or sizes let it dread naturaly it will dread fast and beautifully

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Amanda12
@amanda12
11 years ago
46 posts

I was going to comment but the Barrellady said almost everything I was going to say. I would also say your dreads most likely wont shrink to the same length, cutting it to the same length wont necessarily mean your dreads will be the same length in a few months.

dizzy
@dizzy
11 years ago
21 posts

The reason i'm concerned about the layers is because they're a lot shorter than the rest of my hair. I had layered sideswept bangs which are now starting to grow out, but much of the hair is shorter than chin length. So i'm afraid it'd look just plain stupid to get dreads before it all evened out. One of the layers only goes down to the top of my cheek.

I think i'll just wait until they get to about shoulder length.

Amanda said:

I was going to comment but the Barrellady said almost everything I was going to say. I would also say your dreads most likely wont shrink to the same length, cutting it to the same length wont necessarily mean your dreads will be the same length in a few months.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

it will make no diference when u dread every hair knots up chaoticly so some hairs may go from 2 feet to 3 inches others 1 1/2 feet the short hairs long hairs will all dread up and blend and u wont notice a diference u can start from a mohawk bald or mullet and in the end wont be able to tell at all

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
dizzy
@dizzy
11 years ago
21 posts

Thanks, that comforts me a lot. Starting tomorrow i'm going natural. Maybe a few twist and rips just for fun.

soaring eagle said:

it will make no diference when u dread every hair knots up chaoticly so some hairs may go from 2 feet to 3 inches others 1 1/2 feet the short hairs long hairs will all dread up and blend and u wont notice a diference u can start from a mohawk bald or mullet and in the end wont be able to tell at all

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form