Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Funny Herbalism Quote

Jayke Watson
@jayke-watson
11 years ago
118 posts

It doesn't specify who was the original author of this quote but I thought it was funny/though provoking enough to be worthy of posting.

'A Short History of Medicine:

2000 BC: Here, eat this root.

AD 1000: That root is heathen, say this prayer.

1850: That prayer is superstition, drink this potion.

1940: That potion is snake oil, take this pill.

1985: That pill is ineffective, take this antibiotic.

2000: That antibiotic is artificial. Here, eat this root.'

- Unknown Author

updated by @jayke-watson: 02/14/15 05:49:35PM
Kelly3
@kelly3
11 years ago
333 posts

You'll find that most people still stick with the pills and anti-biotics.

Jayke Watson
@jayke-watson
11 years ago
118 posts

While I'm sure the majority are happy pumping themselves full of overly enhanced and modified chemicals, there is a strong movement going back to the natural ways that are much more accessible and better for us long term.

Kelly3
@kelly3
11 years ago
333 posts

Better for us long term? Any references to back that one up, or is is just pure conjecture? If you want to chew on roots you're more than welcome to, but when I'm sick I want medicines that have been demonstrably shown as effective. Having said that, I avoid anti-biotics unless I really need them. But when I do need them, I have no objection.

Jayke Watson
@jayke-watson
11 years ago
118 posts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paracetamol_toxicity
I never said you have to eat random plants you find that haven't been tested. I have no objection with testing things, and if a herb or other natural medicine hasn't been shown to work then I won't take it. You're just assuming that any natural medicine hasn't been tested and is totally useless.

Kelly3
@kelly3
11 years ago
333 posts

You don't know what I assume. It was you who said that modern medicine is not as good for you. However, I would postulate that medicines have been subject to far more more rigorous testing. The compounds in the plant material that has been shown to be ineffective is discarded and the active molecules are purified or synthesised.

As regards to your link, wikipedia is the worst place to get your information from. Any hack can put info up there. Furthermore, that one specifically deals with overdose of paracetamol. Stick to the dosage guide and you are likely to be fine.

Jayke Watson
@jayke-watson
11 years ago
118 posts

'...when I'm sick I want medicines that have been demonstrably shown as effective.' in response to a post about the uses of natural medicine. I don't really see what you're trying to achieve here seeing as this was just a post about something I thought was a little bit funny. Obviously I know wikipedia is not the most reliable source but it the easiest to access and I'm currently trying to get ready for bed and I've seen friends in hospital from following the recommended dosages for a few days due to build up in the liver.

Kelly3
@kelly3
11 years ago
333 posts

Well, that's something I've yet to encounter, but i cannot say it doesn't happen. Fair enough though. Although, I must say, I find more comedic value in things that I observe to be true (funny because it's true syndrome). I just don't see us going back to roots and leaves. But hey, we're an ocean apart. take care, guy.

Tara C
@tara-c
11 years ago
644 posts

I've always had this thing of, natural stuff can't do anything or people would take them more, and medicines are best because they've been tested. Since getting sick and trying all sorts of creams, treatments, pills, etc., I've found that medicines can be just as useless. It's about finding the right thing, but I've never found any help in natural remedies either, so I think it differs person-to-person. Great quote though, certainly is thought-provoking :)

Kerry LoCo
@kerry-loco
11 years ago
46 posts

I agree with Tara C., definitely thought provoking. ;-) Things work differently with different people - some OTC or script Rx works better and with others, herbal remedies.

As for which is better, I believe Mother Nature created the herbal remedies and also encouraged us to evolve with brains to solve medical mysteries. The best society would honor a balance and cooperation between the two.

/ 4

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form