Dreadlocks Site Highly Recommends dreadlockshampoo.com

HashFlare
Dreadlocks Forums

How often do you separate baby dreads?

Angel Frye
@angel-frye
4 years ago
409 posts

Hell no! Stay away from rubberbands. Rubberbands kill dreadlocks.

I'm around 9 months in and I wash three times a week, separating every other wash, once my hair is dry. I can't stand doing it when it's still damp. Sensitive scalp. Makes me cry.

I think the best way to know if you need to separate is to try to put all your hair up in a high ponytail. If you feel like your hair is folding up instead of gently all being pulled back toward the ponytail then that means you've got some work to do. You've got locks that are pulling in the opposite direction of how you're trying to manipulate them and that means they're caught in some way. Sometimes even some scissors are needed.

The more mature the locks get the easier separating becomes and you don't have to do it as much.

updated by @angel-frye: 07/02/15 10:53:46PM
OliviaJonas Aley
@oliviajonas-aley
4 years ago
30 posts

I like the reference to kudzu vine. I can't say I've heard that before!

Kerry LoCo said:

I have to separate mine daily because they cling together like kudzu vine. I'm afraid if I skip a couple of days they'll all congo into one. LOL

updated by @oliviajonas-aley: 07/23/15 08:10:31AM
Diego F.
@diego-f
4 years ago
73 posts

ever had to separate EVERYDAY. Today i still separate most of my formed dreads everyday, and the baby ones too.

Michelle Stone
@michelle-stone
4 years ago
7 posts

after I asked I read another thread and now replies here..and yeah, ok, I am def saying NO to rubber bands!! :) I will just have to keep separating them every day. good to know I'm not alone in needing/having to do this on a regular basis.

Sweet,
@sweet
4 years ago
133 posts

Every time i wash my dreads is when i separate, doing this while the hair is wetn is MUCH easier, the hair is in a more elasticated state when its wet and the process of wash is what mattts the dreads up most.

Larra Juab
@larra-juab
4 years ago
76 posts

Heeeeey brother! I would like to share my experience, during my first 3 months I needed to separate it 4-6 times a week because it was really dreading up real quick. But after I reached my 3rd month mark, I only separate it like 1 or 2 times a week because they are now teenagers (nearly mature). I guess, the speed of the dreading process really plays a big role. The faster your hair dreads, the more often you need to separate it. That's all from me, much love! Happy dreading to everyonee ~ :D

Ojas Acharya
@ojas-acharya
4 years ago
173 posts

hi there.. :) separation depends on how thick/thin u want ur locks to be. as far as i am concerned i separate once in a week or two. some may need to do it more often depending on the hair type. all i do is hold each of my sections and pull them up, if it pulls another adjacent section along with it i do the separation bit. thats how simple it is. i understand though that some people might have super knotty hair and in that case u should separate more often (maybe every day or after every wash). over-separating however can put u one step backwards in ur progress i feel since u need to give enough time to ur hair to hold on to each other and let the sections develop properly before any separation is done.

Arkynstone GypsyFae
@arkynstone-gypsyfae
3 years ago
37 posts

I was wondering this too. I separate almost every day. Sometimes I go two days if they seem to not be eating each other too much. I want them to be more random and natural in size and shape, but I don't want any to be huge. My largest is about an inch and a half.

/ 2
Dislike 0

Share This

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
Contact Form