Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Methods for "tidying up" young dreads

Koko Earthling
@koko-earthling
11 years ago
0 posts

Tying them up and wearing a hat are both awesome ideas that I can definitely stick to until I move out :) I've been messing with different ways to put them up, and I'm actually really enjoying accessorizing! Haha. I didn't think of doing these things, now I realize, cause I've never liked putting my hair up and messing with it/making it look nice :p it was too complicated for me, but with dreadlocks it's a blast!! This is my favorite way to put them up so far, it's kinda like what you suggested, Jackie! Just with a bun :)

It's so easy to do! I don't even need to look in a mirror :D And I love how you can just tuck locks behind locks, it's a process that builds on top of itself haha. Thank you all for your advice! I feel so much better, I am back at 100% confidence and words do not bother me ^_^ <3 my babies

updated by @koko-earthling: 07/22/15 07:04:12AM
Kerry LoCo
@kerry-loco
11 years ago
46 posts

Love the picture! Great hair style. I think your parents will appreciate the fact that you are trying to make yourself "presentable" for them and should be pleased with how nice you look.

Koko Earthling said:

updated by @kerry-loco: 02/05/15 10:12:49AM
the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

Don't palm roll at all, Read posting by Baba Fats and what happened to his due to palm rolling. It weakens the dreads and down the road when they get longer they start to break off. Have healthy dreads and DO NOT PALM ROLL...peace

John Hooper said:

The only thing i can think of, is palm rolling, but you can't do that every day, it will damage your dreads. You should only do that if you're going to a very formal event. Like rafael said, the tam is a good idea too.

Whatever you do please don't crochet..its torture to your hair..just have patience and (judging by the pictures) it wont feel so long until they look tidier by themselves ;)

Jackie Turner
@jackie-turner
11 years ago
76 posts

you're welcome! I like the bun! It's cute! My hair isn't long enough for a bun so i had never tried that. Go to youtube. there is this one girl with blonde dreads, she british. and she is skinny. that is all i can remember about her. but she does some cute stuff with her dreads to. there is one i started using everyday where she put it in a high pony and then pushed the dreads foreword like a spider then put a head band in. i use it every day, although my dreads are much shorter and it doesn't look near as good. something to look at!

Koko Earthling said:

Tying them up and wearing a hat are both awesome ideas that I can definitely stick to until I move out :) I've been messing with different ways to put them up, and I'm actually really enjoying accessorizing! Haha. I didn't think of doing these things, now I realize, cause I've never liked putting my hair up and messing with it/making it look nice :p it was too complicated for me, but with dreadlocks it's a blast!! This is my favorite way to put them up so far, it's kinda like what you suggested, Jackie! Just with a bun :)

It's so easy to do! I don't even need to look in a mirror :D And I love how you can just tuck locks behind locks, it's a process that builds on top of itself haha. Thank you all for your advice! I feel so much better, I am back at 100% confidence and words do not bother me ^_^ <3 my babies

updated by @jackie-turner: 02/05/15 10:12:49AM
Angel Frye
@angel-frye
11 years ago
409 posts

Even now, at around 9 months my mom still harasses me about my hair. Just Sunday she started in on me and I had to let her know, yet AGAIN, why I quit brushing my hair. "It's not a statement. It's either this or I shave my head. Take your pick. Because my hair is too much of a pain in the ass to even try to brush anymore. I CRY it hurts so badly. You don't have to deal with that mess every day. I do. It's my hair. Leave me alone."

Sometimes it is too much and I do just twist my hair up in a bun. Eventually I'll stop doing that, though.

Thankfully, you'll be out in three months or so and you won't have to listen to them quite so frequently. Wear a hat. Tie them up. Something. ANYThing to not lose the progress you've already made.

What's really intriguing to me about natural neglect dreadlocks when put up in a bun is that on certain people you can't even tell that the person has dreadlocks. It just looks like super curly hair.

John Hooper
@john-hooper
11 years ago
21 posts

thanks, baba fats already has sent me the video where he shows the damage done to his dreads by palm rolling, and i've almost stopped doing it completely :) thats why i said she should only do it for a very formal event, i did way too much palm rolling in the first days, and i've seen it can easily get out of hand and be damaging..a few of my dreads already got skinny roots, but since i stopped while i'm still early in my dreading journey, i'm sure they'll repair themselves :)

the Barrellady said:

Don't palm roll at all, Read posting by Baba Fats and what happened to his due to palm rolling. It weakens the dreads and down the road when they get longer they start to break off. Have healthy dreads and DO NOT PALM ROLL...peace

John Hooper said:

The only thing i can think of, is palm rolling, but you can't do that every day, it will damage your dreads. You should only do that if you're going to a very formal event. Like rafael said, the tam is a good idea too.

Whatever you do please don't crochet..its torture to your hair..just have patience and (judging by the pictures) it wont feel so long until they look tidier by themselves ;)

Koko Earthling
@koko-earthling
10 years ago
0 posts

I know what you mean! Some people like my manager for example still say theyre not real dreads hahah they only see me with my hair up and it still from certain angles passes as just curly haha

Angel Frye said:

Even now, at around 9 months my mom still harasses me about my hair. Just Sunday she started in on me and I had to let her know, yet AGAIN, why I quit brushing my hair. "It's not a statement. It's either this or I shave my head. Take your pick. Because my hair is too much of a pain in the ass to even try to brush anymore. I CRY it hurts so badly. You don't have to deal with that mess every day. I do. It's my hair. Leave me alone."

Sometimes it is too much and I do just twist my hair up in a bun. Eventually I'll stop doing that, though.

Thankfully, you'll be out in three months or so and you won't have to listen to them quite so frequently. Wear a hat. Tie them up. Something. ANYThing to not lose the progress you've already made.

What's really intriguing to me about natural neglect dreadlocks when put up in a bun is that on certain people you can't even tell that the person has dreadlocks. It just looks like super curly hair.

/ 2
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form