dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

dreads and jobs

Marianas Trench
@marianas-trench
15 years ago
20 posts
exactly. Dress code means everything in the US katie said:
[But i see locked peeps in all kind of jobs here and it is completely illegal to discriminate against people for their appearance when hiring.]

not in america. you can't discriminate against people based on their race, religion, etc, but an employer is able to turn you down if your appearance doesn't fit into their dress code.

updated by @marianas-trench: 07/22/15 05:22:25AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
15 years ago
29,640 posts
only if you allow itdress code cannot ever under any circumstances restrict religios freedoms..periodthey can say "we dont allow that" but the momment you say sorry, but you hasve to respect my religion then they have to allow it..period no more argument or you can take them to courtwether you wear muslim garb or dreadlocks or the lil hare krishna thing or the hindu dot..if your beliefs and your looks are linked then they must resapect that under every circumstance.. but you are responcible for saying yopu know your rights Marianas Trench said:
exactly. Dress code means everything in the US
katie said:
[But i see locked peeps in all kind of jobs here and it is completely illegal to discriminate against people for their appearance when hiring.]

not in america. you can't discriminate against people based on their race, religion, etc, but an employer is able to turn you down if your appearance doesn't fit into their dress code.

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Marianas Trench
@marianas-trench
15 years ago
20 posts
Yes... but we are also responsible for being truthful. I like dreads, but they are not protected in my case. I can't say it's part of my religion bc it's not. soaringeagle said:
only if you allow it
dress code cannot ever under any circumstances restrict religios freedoms..period
they can say "we dont allow that" but the momment you say sorry, but you hasve to respect my religion then they have to allow it..period no more argument or you can take them to court
wether you wear muslim garb or dreadlocks or the lil hare krishna thing or the hindu dot..if your beliefs and your looks are linked then they must resapect that under every circumstance.. but you are responcible for saying yopu know your rights
Marianas Trench said:
katie said:

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
15 years ago
29,640 posts
sure it iswhats your religion?even if you have no "religion" just the belief that humans should live a natural existence is a spiritual belief.but wether your christian jew buddhist muslim hindu wican pagan etc etc etc theres dreading within them all.. as far as im aware, only hare krishnas dont. Marianas Trench said:
Yes... but we are also responsible for being truthful. I like dreads, but they are not protected in my case. I can't say it's part of my religion bc it's not.

soaringeagle said:
only if you allow it
dress code cannot ever under any circumstances restrict religios freedoms..period
they can say "we dont allow that" but the momment you say sorry, but you hasve to respect my religion then they have to allow it..period no more argument or you can take them to court
wether you wear muslim garb or dreadlocks or the lil hare krishna thing or the hindu dot..if your beliefs and your looks are linked then they must resapect that under every circumstance.. but you are responcible for saying yopu know your rights
Marianas Trench said:
katie said:

--
Giuliano Pagano
@giuliano-pagano
15 years ago
55 posts
Too bad Obama didn't have dreads
echolynnrain
@echolynnrain
15 years ago
72 posts
@ Kath and William R...lmfao.@ Didj...man. I wanted to come to you before as your sister to ask for nutritional advice but now I REALLY have to send ya a message after reading thu this thread.I'm gonna become a professional pot grower...I've finally made up mind about what I want to be when I grow up. Haha. Yep! Pot farmer all the way...my dreads ( my babies)and plants (my other babies) could only enhance the energy and experience of one another as I see it...it's a win-win situation. Customers will be too happy and stoned to care what my hair looks like. Lol
mike e
@mike-e
15 years ago
2 posts
i'm a small business owner, a transportation company in hawaii for the elderly and disabled. i was a little worried about getting dreads as my clientele would think of me differently. a few a raised an eyebrow or two but no biggie. jus gotta be me.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
15 years ago
29,640 posts
i was outside the courthouse in tulsa oklohoma (yes bible belt) yesterday, and an elderly woman dressed nice possibly a lawyer taps me on my shoulder and says wow you have thye most beautiful hair i ever sawi never worried bout getting dreads since i never wanbted a so called straight job in my lifebut i never expected such possitive reactions from such conservative people..especialy elderly folks who tend to really love em(only once one elderly woman said "that looks just aweful" at which i replied..i know your old and miserable..but you do realize most people can still hear what ya say dont ya? ) mike e said:
i'm a small business owner, a transportation company in hawaii for the elderly and disabled. i was a little worried about getting dreads as my clientele would think of me differently. a few a raised an eyebrow or two but no biggie. jus gotta be me.

--
Melanie2
@melanie2
15 years ago
99 posts
I work as a general assistant in a supermarket and I had dreads when I was hired. The company I work for (one of the UK's major supermarkets) employs people from all walks of life, all religions and so on....not descrimating in any way, all you need to prove is that you can do the job. I started on a three month temporary contract and have now been there over a year. Considering I had'nt been in ANY paid employment for 17 years prior to that due to health issues and having children, I think I've done pretty well so far. : )People have complimented my dreads many times and children sometimes want to touch them because they've never seen anything like it before.
ratcakie
@ratcakie
15 years ago
60 posts
im live australia,and have never seen any issues, one of my good friends is a library assitant he is a completly gothy type, died and radomly shaven hair style/s, peircings every where,tattoos, bangles/braclets etc, (no dreads, but most dreads look more sedate that what his his hair does),so idont know ,maybe if you out west or sumthing this may be a problem but cant say i agree completely on the aust bein "behind the times"... shaun saunders said:
Australians are sooooo far behind man not just employers but parents and teachers justcoz i have different hair to the "norm" that iam gonna work worse??

Kath said:
I'm now a stay at home mum. My kids don't discriminate so I havent had any experiences as of yet. lol

Before I dreaded though, I worked as a Library Assistant where even wearing denim was a no-no. So I definately do think that there is still a lot of discrimination going on.

I know Australia is still a fair way behind other countries, so it might be less of an issue in the states? I'm not sure. Looking forward to hearing other people's experiences though.

/ 16

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form