@matthew
15 years ago
109 posts

updated by @matthew: 07/22/15 05:21:53AM
Tomasu
@tomasu
15 years ago
66 posts
I'm a Locomotive engineer at the local train depot here in Cleethorpes (UK)...they couldnt care what i have in my face, on my skin or growing out of my head..as long as i Get the job done haha
Jake Cantrell
@jake-cantrell
15 years ago
5 posts
i'm a part time employee at a grocery store, i specificly work in the produce department. i put dreads in after i was hired. and a few people asked questions about it and those cruel kids that dont understand made jokes. but my bosses dont care. as long as i'm doing a good job and keeping up with my work thats all that matters.
Zynobek
@zynobek
15 years ago
21 posts
This is my story...I am a FT healthcare professional & have been for 22 years (loctitian is only my side job ;-} )10 years ago, while working for a large hospital, I was told that dreadlocs were not an acceptablehairstyle and to get rid of them & my nose ring.Well, that never happened...LOL... but there were constant comments and memos from management stating that I was out of compliance. They wouldn't fire me just tried to make my quit.Anyway, I stuck it out and fought it until 2 years ago when I had to change jobs due to department closure, economy..etc and now I work for a private diagnostic lab.I walked into my interview not hiding my dreadlocs or nose ring...During the interview I said (to my now boss), "If there is a problem with my locs or nose ring, please tell me now, because they don't come out."His response " What does your hair & nose have to do with your ability to do your job?"(OMG...WOW..not the response I was expecting)Most of my patients love my locs, especially when I dress them up with jewels or colored yarn to match my scrubs.My only problem is finding a way to keep my locs up and out of they way without getting a headache, hair bands and tams are not an option on the job. ( I hate hair pins.)Any suggestions?????
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
15 years ago
29,640 posts
you got dreads tie a dread round the rest of emu can also use like a silk scarf or strip of material to tie round emive always just used my dreads tho Zynobek said:
This is my story...
I am a FT healthcare professional & have been for 22 years (loctitian is only my side job ;-} )
10 years ago, while working for a large hospital, I was told that dreadlocs were not an acceptable
hairstyle and to get rid of them & my nose ring.
Well, that never happened...LOL... but there were constant comments and memos from management stating that I was out of compliance. They wouldn't fire me just tried to make my quit.
Anyway, I stuck it out and fought it until 2 years ago when I had to change jobs due to department closure, economy..etc and now I work for a private diagnostic lab.
I walked into my interview not hiding my dreadlocs or nose ring...
During the interview I said (to my now boss), "If there is a problem with my locs or nose ring, please tell me now, because they don't come out."
His response " What does your hair & nose have to do with your ability to do your job?"
Most of my patients love my locs, especially when I dress them up with jewels or colored yarn.
My only problem is finding a way to keep it up and out of they way without getting a headache, hair bands and tams are not an option on the job. ( I hate hair pins.)
Any suggestions?????

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Zynobek
@zynobek
15 years ago
21 posts
I've tried that...maybe it's just my head or position of my locs when I put them up.I work a 12 hour nightshift and 1/2 way through the shift I have a headache. I've wraped my hair in a bun using my other dreads and that worked initially, but I usually have to let my hair down by morning put, it in a simple ponytail, and cover it with my lab coat. soaringeagle said:
you got dreads tie a dread round the rest of em
u can also use like a silk scarf or strip of material to tie round em
ive always just used my dreads tho

Zynobek said:
This is my story...
I am a FT healthcare professional & have been for 22 years (loctitian is only my side job ;-} )
10 years ago, while working for a large hospital, I was told that dreadlocs were not an acceptable
Well, that never happened...LOL... but there were constant comments and memos from management stating that I was out of compliance. They wouldn't fire me just tried to make my quit.
Anyway, I stuck it out and fought it until 2 years ago when I had to change jobs due to department closure, economy..etc and now I work for a private diagnostic lab.
During the interview I said (to my now boss), "If there is a problem with my locs or nose ring, please tell me now, because they don't come out."
His response " What does your hair & nose have to do with your ability to do your job?"
Most of my patients love my locs, especially when I dress them up with jewels or colored yarn.
My only problem is finding a way to keep it up and out of they way without getting a headache, hair bands and tams are not an option on the job. ( I hate hair pins.)
Any suggestions?????
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
15 years ago
29,640 posts
u can try this and it might be lil hard to explain (if your able to figure it out from my explanation maybe u can make a vid..lol)take a handfull from 1 side twist em ok lets start with a clump by your right ear twist clockwise so if you take that twist and pull it around your head towards the front the twists go from the bottom over the top as they go towards the ends (yea hard to explain)now youy'll have 1 twist and lotsa loose dreadstake the loose dreads forward of the twist base and add em to the twist in the same direction (dreads below twist go over it then tuck down over the top) continue all the way round your head ticking every loose dread into place tightlyit forms like a crown of dreadsi tried to find anything on google but failedtheres a movie called dreadheads thats pretty much just dead tour kids (eek the movie even mentioned melting candles into dreads..eek) but they show how to do it in that movie(was very disapointed after downloading that only watched 15 minutes of it)i know u probly cant figure that out by that description Zynobek said:
I've tried that...maybe it's just my head or position of my locs when I put them up.
I work a 12 hour nightshift and 1/2 way through the shift I have a headache. I've wraped my hair in a bun using my other dreads and that worked initially, but I usually have to let my hair down by morning put, it in a simple ponytail, and cover it with my lab coat.

soaringeagle said:
you got dreads tie a dread round the rest of em
u can also use like a silk scarf or strip of material to tie round em
ive always just used my dreads tho

Zynobek said:
This is my story...
Any suggestions?????

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
ShadowsLight
@shadowslight
15 years ago
4 posts
I teach yoga, so the people I work with either accept the dreads in a sort of "well-that-figures" attitude, or they don't even "see" them because they aren't the sort of people who get wound up over things like hair, body modification, and so forth. The funniest looks I get are at corporate jobs - say I teach a lunch hour class in an office of some kind - and then it's usually the person at the front desk who prefers to stay in their cubicle during lunch anyway. But that's okay.I've lately gotten to a place where I absolutely don't mind the weird looks, the way people avoid me in the hall, or the way they talk about me like I can't hear them. I don't go out of my way to cause a stir, but I've stopped dumbing myself down in public just because some people think that the way they choose to present themselves is the ONLY way.Also, I've had to pick up random part-time jobs (yoga isn't necessarily the most lucrative, uh, "career") and I never had an issue related to my hair, tattoos, or piercings. It's true that if you carry yourself and present yourself like a pro, people are blinded to the dreads, for the most part, anyway...
Marianas Trench
@marianas-trench
15 years ago
20 posts
Well, unless they have a policy that says for men "short, neatly combed hair"
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
15 years ago
29,640 posts
policy cannot contradict religious freedom\ Marianas Trench said:
Well, unless they have a policy that says for men "short, neatly combed hair"

--