Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

dreads and jobs

HealingAmungTheTrees
@healingamungthetrees
15 years ago
93 posts
I am another stay at home mom. As long as everyone is fed, schooled, and has clean clothes to wear they don't care how I look ;)I am trying to get into a new paranormal investigation team and I had an interview with a group this morning. They did not seem too bothered. They did mention that they ask anyone with longer hair to pull it back so it does not fly in front of the camera but that is all. I don't think my hair is long enough to get in the way and I am not sure that dreads wave in the breeze like regular hair anyway. I am more worried about being discriminated because many of these groups require a uniform that includes the wearing of pants. I don't wear pants (I wear skirts) because of a moral belief. I have to convince them that I can do anything in a skirt that they can do in pants. I decided not to bring that up until I see if they invite me to the group.
updated by @healingamungthetrees: 07/22/15 05:18:27AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
15 years ago
29,640 posts
are u pentacostal or something?isnt that 1 of theyre thingsoh but wait u also cut your jhair b4 and i think they dont or at least the women let it grow very long MommaCrunch said:
I am another stay at home mom. As long as everyone is fed, schooled, and has clean clothes to wear they don't care how I look ;)

I am trying to get into a new paranormal investigation team and I had an interview with a group this morning. They did not seem too bothered. They did mention that they ask anyone with longer hair to pull it back so it does not fly in front of the camera but that is all. I don't think my hair is long enough to get in the way and I am not sure that dreads wave in the breeze like regular hair anyway. I am more worried about being discriminated because many of these groups require a uniform that includes the wearing of pants. I don't wear pants (I wear skirts) because of a moral belief. I have to convince them that I can do anything in a skirt that they can do in pants. I decided not to bring that up until I see if they invite me to the group.

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
HealingAmungTheTrees
@healingamungthetrees
15 years ago
93 posts
Nope not pentacostal...
HealingAmungTheTrees
@healingamungthetrees
15 years ago
93 posts
Jess your dreads are a lot longer than mine so I am sure you could get a little breeze action!
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
15 years ago
29,640 posts
mine are too heavy and even a strong wind dont blow em alotbut theres so much of em they can act like a sail and a real good wind can get ya flyin, or stop ya in your tracksi love a good storm tho..wild weathers so much fun

--
gypsywoman
@gypsywoman
15 years ago
5 posts
Well mine dont blow in the breeze but if you twirl they do lol!ill try and add a photo... soaringeagle said:
mine are too heavy and even a strong wind dont blow em alot
but theres so much of em they can act like a sail and a real good wind can get ya flyin, or stop ya in your tracks

i love a good storm tho..wild weathers so much fun
shaun saunders
@shaun-saunders
15 years ago
64 posts
Australians are sooooo far behind man not just employers but parents and teachers justcoz i have different hair to the "norm" that iam gonna work worse?? Kath said:
I'm now a stay at home mum. My kids don't discriminate so I havent had any experiences as of yet. lol

Before I dreaded though, I worked as a Library Assistant where even wearing denim was a no-no. So I definately do think that there is still a lot of discrimination going on.

I know Australia is still a fair way behind other countries, so it might be less of an issue in the states? I'm not sure. Looking forward to hearing other people's experiences though.
Hayley Turner
@hayley-turner
15 years ago
49 posts
Well I'm a philosophy student at York University but I've been taking a gap year since this time last year. I was working in an office for a government agency (Learning and Skills Council) on the phones for 8 months, when I asked my boss if I could get away with dreads he smiled really widely and said 'Not a problem, chick', he's a massive punk and an awesome guy so there was no problem.Since then I've started doing training to become a door supervisor for something I can do around uni hours. I don't think I would have many problems there as long as I tie my hair up for safety reasons. I'm not an aggressive person, a bit of a pacifist really so I figured giving people a lot of hugs and just generally being 6ft3 would help me in that role.I think that a lot of jobs I might want to do in the future would have a problem with it though. But to be honest, as someone has already said any employer who has a problem with it isn't worth working for.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
15 years ago
29,640 posts
i could hug you :)but yea the fact is you can do dreads in almost any joband at least here its technicaly ilegal for them to descriminate against ya for dreadsaltho sometimes it still might hafta go to court Hayley Turner said:
Well I'm a philosophy student at York University but I've been taking a gap year since this time last year. I was working in an office for a government agency (Learning and Skills Council) on the phones for 8 months, when I asked my boss if I could get away with dreads he smiled really widely and said 'Not a problem, chick', he's a massive punk and an awesome guy so there was no problem.

Since then I've started doing training to become a door supervisor for something I can do around uni hours. I don't think I would have many problems there as long as I tie my hair up for safety reasons. I'm not an aggressive person, a bit of a pacifist really so I figured giving people a lot of hugs and just generally being 6ft3 would help me in that role.

I think that a lot of jobs I might want to do in the future would have a problem with it though. But to be honest, as someone has already said any employer who has a problem with it isn't worth working for.

--
Didjeridurian
@didjeridurian
15 years ago
292 posts
I own my business so getting hired was easy enough.As for clients and customers... I wear my personality fully exposed to all I encounter. I am able to get along with just about anyone due to the multitude of backgrounds I have come to align with over my life. I have a passion for nature and health that people recognize instantly. Either it keeps people away or it brings them very close to me. As long as I can back up what I say and more importantly PRACTICE what I am saying with positive results I can not be denied by those who are open to accept the truth of experience. People know I came from mental illness, intense drug use, obesity, poor health etc and have gotten to where I am now.Bottom line is they all know I am different and that is what attracts them to me. LOL Look around people, it seems to me that the normal folks didn;t really get it right. So anyhting I do physicaly to my appearance, as long as I remain hygenic of course, is welcomed and respected by my clients.Of course there is somewhat of a learning curve and some people get slightly alientaed but they either come around or simplify your life by leaving it ;-)Best advice I can give is just always be respectful, joyful, friendly, and show people yourself through your actions and expression. That way they don't have to look at your hair, clothes, etc. to deterine who you are. If you let your physical appearance define you than how can you blame someone else for using your hair as a judge of your character. The personality makes the hair, the hair shouldn't make the personality. Dreadlocks aren't cool, cool people with dreadlocks are cool.

/ 16

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form