Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

How to respond to people's reactions

Hannah :)
@hannah
11 years ago
21 posts

I am a little over 3 weeks into my dreadlock journey. I'm 15 and still in high school, so it's a little rough. In the past, I have had dreads many times for 2 weeks or less. However, this time I have a really great feeling about it, and I don't plan on brushing them out any time in the near future.

Today the comments were pretty rude. Things like "Me and this girl were talking about you. Your hair is like...sectioned. I swear, if you're doing that dreadlock thing our friendship is over." ...things like that.

Anyway, the comments really don't bother me much but I never know how to respond. Nobody knows that I am growing dreadlocks yet because I didn't know if I would stick with it. So I always just reply something like "Nah" and change the topic. Should I just be honest with the people who ask? I've been considering posting a status on facebook just to get it out there that Im growing dreads. This way everyone will know and they wont have to murmur about me (even though this may cause more talk).

I just want to know how you all went about this. Thanks!

updated by @hannah: 02/03/18 02:58:53PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

id say

if the friendshoips over cause of how i wear my hair then it never was a friendship to begin with so fine with me dreads help me know who my true friends are anyway

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
NaturalDreads01
@naturaldreads01
11 years ago
170 posts

Yeah, talking about my hair with others is always kind of weird, because most people don't understand that hair naturally locks.. so I get what you mean by that.. I personally would just tell everyone that you are dreadlocking your hair.

Kelly3
@kelly3
11 years ago
333 posts

I spent all my teenage years sporting dreads (13-19). If you are of a sensitive nature, you may be best to wait until you are mature enough to take criticism, because you will definitely get it. This is just a part of having dreads. It is not to say that you will only receive negative comments. Many many people will compliment you, but you have to be able to take the good with the bad.

I would actually say that it is more difficult to go through when your growing up. Teenagers can be so rotten. Really horrible. But you will come to know who is worth spending time on and who is really your friend. If someone doesn't want to hang around because of how you wear your hair, then they can fuck right off.

Now, how should you deal with it. Laugh off the negative and thank anyone who compliments you. wear your hair proudly and embrace the mess. Just explain that you are growing dreads the natural way. If they are interested then explain more. If not, don't bother. When they judge, and they will, let them judge. You know who you are and what you are about, but how could they!?

NaturalDreads01
@naturaldreads01
11 years ago
170 posts

thought I would give you some good Bob Marley quotes that can relate a bit to your situation

Who are you to judge the life I live?
I know I'm not perfect
-and I don't live to be-
but before you start pointing fingers...
make sure you hands are clean!

-Bob Marley

Life is one big road with lots of signs. So when you riding through the ruts, don't complicate your mind. Flee from hate, mischief and jealousy. Don't bury your thoughts, put your vision to reality. Wake Up and Live!

-Bob Marley

The truth is, everyone is going to hurt you. You just got to find the ones worth suffering for.

-Bob Marley

Dread Munky
@dread-munky
11 years ago
5 posts

Aslong as it makes you happy, grow your dreadlocks... my mom hates my dreadlocks to the core but i dont mind her...

Earthstudios
@earthstudios
11 years ago
108 posts

Having dreads makes it easier to weed out the people you want nothing to do with. It's like they are shitty people repellant lol. And on the other hand they are like awesome people magnets :)

Happy journey's....

John Hooper
@john-hooper
11 years ago
21 posts

Well, as everybody else said, you'll have to get used to negative comments..just don't feel ashamed when people aren't liking your dreads, just be happy they look good enough that people notice them, and be proud of your hair and the choice to dread it.

Even though I've been mostly getting positive comments, a few people didn't like them, and a guy went as far as to ask me loud enough for everybody around to hear him "aren't you ashamed to get out of your house looking like that?". I had the urge to get into a fight with him, but then I just said "I'd be more ashamed if I didn't, just because you don't like it." And I felt much better and any bad feeling I might've gotten from his comment immediately faded away, and I was left with self confidence and even more love for my hair haha

Just be proud of who you are and remember you don't have to follow anybody's opinion but yours. And next time you see those "friends" talking about you, just look at them, shake your dreads, and smile at them. ;)

Rude Bwoy
@rude-bwoy
11 years ago
40 posts

I notice I get a lot of weird looks from people, and its funny cause my hair doesn't look THAT bad yet however the top looks like a completely messy horse maine...Lol

Just today I was walking around Kroger, I had several people give me the double look. But to my surprise most of the woman who took a second look and made a weird face, then looked at me and smiled flirtatiously.

I think its partially because I am doing my own thing with confidence. The way I am carrying myself, I got the energy that I feel and look good. So when people look they go UGH WTF E....Aw he's kinda cute I guess. Hahaha

If you are walking around trying to lurk in the shadows, and turning your head away when someone looks at you, of course evil will feed off of that weakness. Hold your head up and let these fools know god made you look that way, they will then have no choice but to respect your confidence, or attack you out of jealousy.

Just keep your hair smelling nice, and when people hate on your or say its dirty, offer them a smell and feel test vs their own hair. And see who wins.

Pete
@pete
11 years ago
67 posts

Hello Hannah, let my start off by saying that you seem like you could really do this.

Being in high school and growing dreadlocks can be pretty difficult due to ego.

Don't care what other people say, they can't decide for you.

I've used to be very high ego kid and it was hard when i started dreadlocks, people we're asking things like do i wash my hair, daily they asked.

Just answer those questions with patience, and never get frustrated.

Good luck with your journey sister, Jah Bless.

- Pete 15 Yrs

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form