Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

removing crocheted extensions with minimal damage

Aya Heartright
@aya-heartright
8 years ago
91 posts

So I have several crocheted extensions that I would like to remove. I noticed that some would, thankfully, be pretty easy to cut out without ruining the integrity of the original dread but some are pretty good in there.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to remove them without simply cutting the dread above? My friend seemed to put the extension hair up about an inch or two on the original dread on some, making it impossible to just cut without cutting my own hair in the process.

updated by @aya-heartright: 01/13/15 09:52:35PM
the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
8 years ago
1,302 posts

Aya, how long have you had them in for?

Since I don't know, I suggest you cut them below your original hair, like maybe an inch, and then slowly work with your fingers or comb to get them out, just take your time and work at it. Try gentle tugs once in a while just in case it will come out...Peace

Aya Heartright
@aya-heartright
8 years ago
91 posts

Ranging from 6 months to a 3 months I believe. I just went through a manic episode and pulled them apart. My suggestions to others with the same issue:

Jojaba oil. Seriously, I didn't use this until like the 4th one and I really should have started out with it. Only issue is it makes the subtle differences of the hair colors blend more =/

Seam ripper: Makes it so you can pull apart extension by individual hairs.

Insane pregnancy hormones: Now I don't suggest getting knocked up just to take your dreads out; however, transferring that insane nesting urge tometiculouslypull apart dreads is helpful.

I'm surprised that only took me a little over an hour. I got 6 extensions out with surprisingly minimal damage to the loc. I'm not sure if this is a common method or not but it seemed like they were only held on in certain areas and I could pull apart the ones that were involved by default rather than completely knotted in.

Maybe I will regret it in the morning because my hair is much shorter now but at the moment I feel a weight lifted off me. I enjoyed having my husband's hair locked with mine but the energy was so different having just a few crocheted in vs. a while bunch.

the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
8 years ago
1,302 posts

Glad it was not so difficult for you once you figured it out. Your hair will now be free to dread to maturity and love you for it. If you don't like the length, go to the drug store and purchase Biotin 6000mcg strength. Taken daily, in 3 months you will see your hair growing, fingernails too. If you can't find that strength and lets say you find 2000mcg, then take 3 pills a day to equal 6000. you can find it for under $10. ...peace

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form