Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Any Dready Scientists?

Jayke Watson
@jayke-watson
11 years ago
118 posts
Hey guys,So I'm in year 11 at the moment and I'm planning on going into biological sciences, most preferably mycology (the study of fungi) but botany would be just as cool. I was just wondering if any other dreadies were in the biological sciences field and had any advice?Peace and love,Jayke
updated by @jayke-watson: 01/13/15 09:52:34PM
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
11 years ago
2,702 posts

Ha! I'm a bio major, right now. And I'm working at a field station studying the effects of nitrogen, and carbon on local and invasive species by studying the mycorrhizae in the roots. Most of which is arbuscular mycorrhizae.

I'm also doing work with ectomycorrhizae in the NJ Pine Barrens

It's loads of fun. But be warned. You don't spend nearly as much time out in the woods as you may think you will. Most of your time is staring down a microscope, counting to infinity.

What are you thinking about doing with mycology? Most schools make you do your undergrad in biology. Then, you might be able to focus towards ecology. Don't bother focusing on microbiology. It's mostly the study of bacteria, not fungi.

My best advice: Find someone near you who studies mycorrhizae. If you can't find that, then find someone who studies general soil ecology. Mycology has started becoming a major focus in the last 20-30 years, in soil health. So any good soil ecologist will at least know something about it.

From there, do a lot of reading. I can hook you up with some good books on the subject. Read, read read. Then, when you find someone to work with, ask if you can do your own project dealing primarily with fungi

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

1 members soon to or currently working for nasa

i got dready freindswho are mathemiticuians pheoretical physicists etc

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Jayke Watson
@jayke-watson
11 years ago
118 posts
That's great Baba! How are you liking it? Yeah don't worry I know :P well mycological findings are almost nonexistent in Australia because nobody has been bothered to record anything they find so people are always dying because no one records when fungi are poisonous or beneficial or anything at all so I'd just like to study the breeding cycles and put together a database of some sort so that it's easier for people to identify and forage for edible fungi :) and I think it's just ridiculously cool how similar they are to animals and plants at the same time.
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
11 years ago
2,702 posts

I hear you. I guess that's why I haven't come across anything about what species or varieties grow down there.

Check out "The Fifth Kingdom" by Bryce Kendrick. I picked up a copy of the third ed. for $2. The second ed. is ok, but still claims that fungi is a kingom separate from animals. If you want the most up-to-date info, get the third.

Also, check out: "Magical Mushrooms and Mischievous Molds" George W. Hudler

"The Ecology of Mycorrhizae" Michael F. Allen

If you can find any of them cheap, look into Dr. John Dighton. He's the guy I'm working with. Apparently he's on of the big names in mycology research.

Also, look for "Mycelium Running" by Paul Stamets. He's another huge name in fungi research

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form