Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Dread hawk

Andy3
@andy3
11 years ago
4 posts
I've had my dreads two months now. I started with just getting twist put in my hair. It seems to working good but backcombing or natural would be better. But anyways I'm just trying to get through the beginning stages so I can enjoy my dreads. I just got some organic shampoo bar I'm gonna wash them and get that junk out the lady used for twisting them. Hit me up. I'm learning as I go seeing no o e around me dreads there hair or has hair like mine. I have African American curly hair but I'm not mixed.
updated by @andy3: 01/13/15 09:52:32PM
the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

Hi there, I don't know what gunk was put in your hair by the lady, but may I suggest you use dawn dish soap to get it out, strong enough to work for wax. Was it wax she used? If so, you will have to use this several times. Neglect/Free Form dreads are the healthiest to grow, then the Twist & Rip method, then Backcombing (which damages the hair). If your dreads seem to be working, why would you want to backcomb instead? . Organic shampoo won't do the trick to get the gunk out. You should be washing them 2-3 times a week in the first few months. Have you been keeping them clean or did she say not to wash them? Let us know so you will like yours so much more, we want you to enjoy your journey and not wish you did them another way. ...Peace

Andy3
@andy3
11 years ago
4 posts
She used locking gel it just not the best kind or smelling but I checked and its a water based product. She said to wash at two months. Idk if she knew what she was doing. I've been letting just naturally go after a month she said come back to re twist them I said bump that. The gel has left a stain on my pillow case. I haven't washed them and they have grown a good amount. I haven't washed them also cause some of the ones at the front of my head a loose and I don't want them to come undone. Idk what to do about hem so I joined this place. Thanks for the help btw.
Andy3
@andy3
11 years ago
4 posts
I'm getting the satsuma bar on Saturday to finally wash my hair.
Andy3
@andy3
11 years ago
4 posts
Would baking soda wash wok instead of Dawn?
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
11 years ago
2,702 posts

Baking soda is a salt. It is great at exfoliating your scalp, and getting dirt out. But it's not good at getting greasy, oily, or waxy residues out. Once you get the gel out, you can use BS or Vicki's soaps without any problem.

The dawn soap will be great. But like it was said, before, you'll need to use hot water, and multiple washes to clean it out, completely. And by that time, all of the locks, in place, will more than likely come completely undone.

So here's the bad news. If it's been under 1 month, I'd really recommend brushing them completely out, and starting over from scratch.

Since your locks will start unraveling anyway, in your first few washes, it'll pretty much seem like most of them went back to your normal texture. By completely starting over, you can avoid all of that gel and hassle over how to clean them. You'll be able to wash them whenever you want to, however you want to.

And for the other shoe... From your profile pic, it looks like your hair is pretty short. Maybe 3 inches. That's a bit short to start seeing any progress. Most people don't see progress until their hairs is 5-6 inches long.

But all is not lost. If you start over, you will see progress much faster than you ever would with that gel and other gunk in your hair. Also, they will feel lighter and not leave any stains on your pillows or anything else your head touches.

There is a vitaminsupplementcalled Biotin, that you can take which promotes hair growth. It takes about 3 months to start working, but once it does, it really speeds up your growth.

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form