Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Showers are killing my dreads

ZiggityZack
@ziggityzack
11 years ago
10 posts

I T&R them a month ago when my hair was 3 to 3 1/2 inches long, and it seems like whenever I take a shower they really unravel. I know they are suppose to unravel somewhat but my hair is so straight and fine that I almost have no doubts that they won't dread after they completely unravel?

Did I not T&R them tight enough originally?

I dont know?

updated by @ziggityzack: 01/13/15 09:52:23PM
the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

Hi Ziggity Zack. You are right that the T&R might unravel completely. Some do, some just loosen. Never re-tighten them though. Your Question "Did I not T&R them tight enough originally"- you don't want to do them tightly ever, if you do they would not mature properly. I have a few thin ones that I did too tight, and they are definitely not dreading how they should, instead of loosening, shrinking and thickening, they have stayed tight and are just zig zagging along and in no way in shape or form do they look like my maturing dreads, That is why they say that T&R is one step forward and two steps back, they need to loosen & or fall out. T&R are only the blueprints to your dreads, they are not dreads at all. Your hair was pretty short to start with, so that is probably why they are all coming out. Maybe your hair is telling you that is just wants to dread freeform/neglect method.

At you local drug store, in the vitamin section, there is a product you can buy called Biotin for under $`10. Take the 6000mcg strength and in 3 months you will notice hair growth. Dreads like to start to form on hair 6 inches or more, shorter than that they will section for sure, so don't worry, but the knotting process may or may not happen until they grow.

Be patient and don't worry, and don't re-tighten, hang in there....Peace

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

they are only 3 inches

the roots and tips tend to have up to 3 inches loose

this is why 4-5 is concidered minumum to alow 1 inch to hoefiully satay

u need to let em grow be patient

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
ZiggityZack
@ziggityzack
11 years ago
10 posts

Ok Thanks. Here is a timeline of my hair. So starting from the root. And my hair is 4 inches now:

One month ago when I first T&R them: The first inch is my hair coming out of my scalp, the next 2 inches are T&R and the last inch is my ends.

Now: First 1 1/2 inches are hair coming out of my scalp, Next 1/2 inch is still barely T&R'ed and my last 2 inches are my ends that have unraveled.

And these are the ones that haven't unraveled. I have a few that have unraveled completely, mostly on the back side of my head. Since my hair is so short should I just brush the areas out and just wait til they are 5-6 inches and re-do them but leave the ones that stay for now? Im guessing no, its just frustrating when it looks worse and worse everyday. Im so tempted to re T&R them haha

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

jusrt leave em be

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Hannah Moore
@hannah-moore
11 years ago
68 posts

I have the same thing going on. I have very fine straight and short hair about 4-5 inches butI only did my tnr on the 14th.. Most of mine at the back have come out now and the resthave loosened, only a few are still 'tight'. But like the others said the tnr should loosen and is expected to come out otherwise it cant lock up properly.

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form