Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

interlocking dreadlocks what it is and why its not recomended ever

Peaceful Dread
@peaceful-dread
14 years ago
24 posts
That was done to my dreads once, but they have recovered now. And I don't know about the vanity part of it, I never looked worse in my life than after that treatment. And it took about 6 months for my dreads to recover.But I don't feel that those ppl fooled me. The man and the woman that tried to help me where hairdressers from Uganda and I am sure that their true intention was to help me.
updated by @peaceful-dread: 07/23/15 03:19:01PM
tthomas
@tthomas
14 years ago
2 posts
I forgot to add I have African American hair which was interlocked once. My hair has been free from gels and wax for a while now. I guess I'm just a little impatient because they aren't locking as fast as others told me they would. My hair is soft but curly at the same time. The back is locking fast than the top. There are all types of stylists that say "don't wash it" but I learned very quick I have to wash my hair! The first few times they came almost completely unraveled but I retwisted to help them form and keep the parts. My desire is to have manicured locs not just neglected ones.
shine166
@shine166
14 years ago
18 posts
yer I now wish I had never cut them... it makes me sad to think how much ive lost to the scissors. Infact I used to hate cutting them so much that I kept the dreads in a bag :).Its just Ive needed to work in the past doing jobs that really were not suitable for 2/3ft of hairIm 100% certain no wax is left... all the hair on my head has grown in the last 3 years and ive not waxed for 4/5.... I may be wrong but im sure im not. I will check the wax removal thread though as you say, to see wot gwan rawsum said:
hey shine 166, how is "that hair long gone"? Did you cut them? Don't cut them and more importantly get the wax out.. no matter how briefly you used it it will likely STILL be there causing havoc .. as proven by many after the fact of cutting their dreads and dissecting them.. check the 'wax removal' thread on the top bar :)

shine166 said:
TBH that sounds about right mate, il admit I got briefly sucked into tyhe whole wax thing.. not for long theough.... and that hair is long gone. Is it too late to go natural ? The only info given so far from another forum is 'cut em' and after 7 years thats not something to be taken lightly for me
Peaceful Dread
@peaceful-dread
14 years ago
24 posts
hehe... I can see how stupid it looks. I know I wrote it like that, but I did not mean to make that connection. I meant that they where taught to do it like that in Uganda.. and the woman even had it herself. So I have no reason to believe that she intentionally wanted to destroy my hair in order to make money. rawsum said:
oh puhlease, borders don't define a persons integrity ..

Peaceful Dread said:
That was done to my dreads once, but they have recovered now. And I don't know about the vanity part of it, I never looked worse in my life than after that treatment. And it took about 6 months for my dreads to recover.

But I don't feel that those ppl fooled me. The man and the woman that tried to help me where hairdressers from Uganda and I am sure that their true intention was to help me.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
doesnt mean they were tpught to do it right and african hair can survive it better ..sytill not a smart thing to do to any hairand most likely they learned the method from 1 of the big interlocking pushers like sistalocs Peaceful Dread said:
hehe... I can see how stupid it looks. I know I wrote it like that, but I did not mean to make that connection. I meant that they where taught to do it like that in Uganda.. and the woman even had it herself. So I have no reason to believe that she intentionally wanted to destroy my hair in order to make money.

rawsum said:

Peaceful Dread said:
That was done to my dreads once, but they have recovered now. And I don't know about the vanity part of it, I never looked worse in my life than after that treatment. And it took about 6 months for my dreads to recover.

But I don't feel that those ppl fooled me. The man and the woman that tried to help me where hairdressers from Uganda and I am sure that their true intention was to help me.

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Peaceful Dread
@peaceful-dread
14 years ago
24 posts
Exactly, the problem is that even the hairdresser can be misled... the same way most of us ppl have been misled, including myself. That is why this forum is so important. I hope you have put good search words in the meta tag... so that we one day will end up as number one on every possible search engine, whenever someone is trying to find out how to make dreads via the internet. =) We are currently behind both knottyboy.com and dreadheadhq.com on google, I see now. =( (My search was "how to make dreadlocks".) soaringeagle said:
doesnt mean they were tpught to do it right and african hair can survive it better ..sytill not a smart thing to do to any hair
and most likely they learned the method from 1 of the big interlocking pushers like sistalocs

Peaceful Dread said:
hehe... I can see how stupid it looks. I know I wrote it like that, but I did not mean to make that connection. I meant that they where taught to do it like that in Uganda.. and the woman even had it herself. So I have no reason to believe that she intentionally wanted to destroy my hair in order to make money.

rawsum said:

Peaceful Dread said:

NaturalWomyn
@naturalwomyn
14 years ago
849 posts
I get what you're saying Peaceful. I don't believe that everyone who promotes a harmful dreading technique is intentionally trying to screw us over. I believe that many are simply misinformed and uneducated. It's unfortunate but we see it here a lot as well people were simply given bad advice and then passed it on as truth. It doesn't make it any better but the intent isn't always malicious. Peaceful Dread said:

rawsum said:

Peaceful Dread said:

Nikita Cox
@nikita-cox
13 years ago
1 posts
I have seen interlocked locs last that long

soaring eagle said:
really then why does our site f=ger fiund bt about 15 people a day searching terms like "why did interlocking cause my dreads to fall off" or why are my roots so weak from interlocking

interlockings been well known to be the worse thing u can do long before the term interlocking existed, it was originaly "root flipping" but the word got out that root flipping was devestating so they changede the name to stay in business

have you ever seen any sisterlocks or nappy locks lasst 10 years?
i havent
melaG
@melag
13 years ago
1 posts

actually, interlocking dreads is taking 4 baby dreads and sort of weaving them or interlocking them to form a thicker dread.

what you're talking about, that root thing, i am strongly against as well- i can see that just damaging the dreads altogether.

but yeah....

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

where did u hear that? thats i dunno forced congoing interlocking is whwn they force the dread thru the roots..bad bad bad idea

melaG said:

actually, interlocking dreads is taking 4 baby dreads and sort of weaving them or interlocking them to form a thicker dread.

what you're talking about, that root thing, i am strongly against as well- i can see that just damaging the dreads altogether.

but yeah....

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1

/ 16

Dislike 6

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form