again not all but yea many

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1

updated by @soaring-eagle: 07/25/15 12:02:43PM
Sam8
@sam8
12 years ago
9 posts
I'm not sure where you're getting your information but its inaccurate at best. Interlocked dreads do not cause baldness anymore then regular dreads do if they are done correctly. It's a hair method that's been around for hundreds of years and sure people may have had hair loss but they do with regular dreads and many other hairstyles as well. You're portraying interlocked dreads as something dangerous and unhealthy for your hair/scalp when that is not the case. People get them without any problems at all just as they do regular dreads.The statements you've made are unfortunately wrong and not fact based but that is because you have not been trained how to do them nor had them done by someone who's trained how to do them.You are under the impression that you have to tighten the hair until its up against the scalp, this is not true and to do so would not only be harmful to the hair but would cause your locs to fall incorrectly. Anyone properly trained would/will know that and thus not do it. As for how they are made or maintained it depends on the method the person chooses, while they are similar no two are the same making everyone who gets them look slightly different, hard to tell if you don't know what to look for.You say that the damage is caused by putting the hair through gaps and twisting the roots, unfortunately that's not accurate. First you never twist the roots of the hair ever, if you were to do that you'd cause damage to the root that would result in hair loss. But again you don't really know the method (obvious by your statements) so you're going off of stories from people who had their hair done by someone who didn't know what they were doing.As far as threading through the gaps, in someways that's true but not in the way which you describe it. Yes you do thread the hair however it's not haphazardly as you imply nor is it random. The hair must be threaded on a specific pattern in order to see the desired result. This causes no damage or strain to the hair when done correctly. It results in very beautiful locs just as with regular locs.I think it's wrong of you to not fairly portray the process in an accurate and correct manor. There's nothing wrong with having an opinion be it good or bad about something but when you don't state the facts accurately, either because you don't know them or you don't care to that's not right. There is evidence all over the Internet of people with interlocked dreads from various different methods and not a single problem do they have. Yet you don't mention that here, why not? To imply as you have that it ruins the hair if everyone who has it is simply NOT true. If you have a site where you give out information pertaining to something that information should be fair and accurate to the best of your ability and this is not that. I hope you'll revise your statements to show both sides of the story and that you'll do more research into the various interlocking methods so that you fully learn and understand how the process works.In my opinion I don't like freeform dreads I think they look unkempt and depending on where one wants to go career wise that's a look that won't fly. However I know how the process works to get them and so I won't make blanket statements that they're dirty,bad for your hair, get bugs or anything else as that's just not true. That being said all of those things are possible and have happened to plenty of people with them but again that's due to human error not the style it's self and to blame the type of dread and not the person who's supposed to be maintaining or starting them would be wrong. Bad things can happen with any locking method but that's not the fault of the method itself but do to something else normally human error.Blessings,Sam
Sam8
@sam8
12 years ago
9 posts
@Enacra I'm not quite sure why you're coming at me in this tone and way or what exactly your issue is with a difference of opinion or my stating the facts on a method that the OP doesn't know that much about. No I'm not "the same Sam" but I did read her or his post and obviously I agree with it! And no I don't need to have the last word in anything but when I see misinformation touted as fact that bothers me. You can not give blanket statements about things as I said in my post as have others, it's not right. However unlike you I didn't come at anyone with an attitude or nastiness as you did me. I simply stated the facts (which are easily verifiable) and my opinion about other methods.There is nothing wrong with having an opinion so long as you state it's your opinion and not fact. The OP says its fact that interlocking your dreads makes them break off, you go bald, or in other ways damages your hair and that is not true. Can it happen yes but it can with any dreading method or any other type of hairstyle.I'm new here too and I'm going to hope that everyone isn't as rude as you've come off to be. I wish you the best and hope the next time you disagree with someone you'll phrase it better.-Samaria (For clarification)
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

sam you are wrong and completely missinformed

ok if your not tightening them to the scalp why do it at all? thats the whole reason ppl do it

when you create a gap then push the dread through how do you do that without the hairs twisting? think about what your saying

heres a simple diagram

||

//\\

thats the dread with the gap take the dread put it through the gap what happens to the roots on either side?

|

xx

they get twisted 180 degrees around tightly and the dread itself gets thinner

and

every single (almost) person ive ever seen thast interlocked was going bald..every 1

in fact google interlocking ..image search and you see nithing but scalp scalp scalp

a scalp without hair i]on it is what now? say it with me class...bald

yup thats right

--
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

and we dont need to "do it correctly" or incorrectly to see the results and have to help hundresa even thousands undo the damage its caused

in fact your right it was used a long time..when it was called root flipping but then everyone who ever heard of it said dont root flip it causes dreads to break

so guess what

salonds didnt stop root flipping they just changed the name!

now that interlocking is known to be bad..again by its new name some are starting to call it rooting looping or other names

just changing the name doesnt end the damage

but thats how salons "do it right"

change the name

so sam lets see your scalp?

--
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

sam you may think interlocking gives u a "fresh" or "tidy" look only cause salons make u believe you shouldnt have hair between dreads

you may start out like this in 1 ye\ar

but in 10 end up like this

\

nope shes not going bald

you might not be able to drive a truck beteween the gaps but a matchbox car should never fit between the hairs on the head

no they arent twisted are they?

look how wide the section is how thin the interlocked root is you start with bidg secxtions so u have room to go bald?

note a healthy dread the dreads the same size as the section not 1/10th the size with hair pulluing in painfully from far away

only dolls used to look like this and those dolls had holes in their heads where the hair came through..what happened to the rest of her hair? its not there (isnt thatwhat bald means?) odviosly she dont shave around each dread

--
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

a freinds gphere a sweet 77 year old african american woman she showed me pics of her,,i thunk grandson? (pics will be posted in a dew says or so shes having him join too ) his dreads get the salon that did them alot of business..he thinks they look great..but at 16 hes already going bald his mom..bald wears a wig the result of braiding amd pulling it back tight (till her eyebrows reached the top of her skull) his dad has healthy normal unmaintained dreads..but most of the rest of the family is goibg bald from interlocking twisting or braiding

the mom who wears a wig keeps trying to tell him hes going bald but he only believes whatthe locticians say

andcause they use his scalpy pics to advertise hes proud of his baldness

but to most ppl we see that we cribge we feel the scalps pain

its not healthy ..its not pretty its not tidy

its diseased

its destructive

its ruining yiyr dreads scalp hair

and when yiur bald your self confidence

--
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

exactly then its only 10 sessions till u have a severe issue ..a recoverable 1 if u stop soon enough ..keep it up too long an d theres nothing u can do but buy wigs or blow 10's of thousands on transplants

these ppl often blow 10-20 grand at salons before the dreads fall off and they have to seek medical help to recover..costing another 20-50 grand to repair the damage the salons caused

Amanda said:

Here is the progress of a man with interlocked dreads after every time he got them tightened.

BEFORE:

AFTER FIRST SESSION:

AFTER FIRST SESSION (back):

AFTER SECOND SESSION:

AFTER THIRD SESSION:

See how he has more and more baldness each session? Eventually he will become permanently bald from this, if he isn't by now already. This IS NOT healthy!

--
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

around the hairlines this is getting more advances stage the solution to thinning locs? twist dozens of locks tightly together to look k]like thicker locks but then style it in a tight bun wich is pulling from interlocking pulling from twisting pulling from the bun tripple traction action traction alopecia at accelerated speeds

and yes they still say its "tidy"

can u imagine a year or 2 from now being stick with thin strips of hair and this weird balding pattern

look how thin the point is where it was interlocked this 1 had healthy dreads for years then interlocked and this is the damage caused

--
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

Ok, I may as well post my 2 cents now.

I have interlocked a few of my locks back in the day. 6 years later, and a ton of natural growth on top of those interlocked segments, I can say that interlocking/root flipping does make your locks weaker. If done once, it doesn't affect the whole lock. It only affects that part of it. But if done continuously, it will destroy your locks by thinning them out dozens of hairs at a time. I don't have the same damage that is shown in the pics posted, but I only did it once. That's what happens if you continue to mess with your roots.

Now, This isn't an issue for African textured hair because, lets face it, it's naturally frizzier. But... Interlocking creates an ugly weave/braided pattern that never goes away. It gets covered up a bit by frizzies and loose hairs, but it's always there underneath, and always will be. Interlocking your locks flips your hair a complete 360* through a hole poked in your locks. That hole itself is damaging to make. I know that it can be done by just flipping it through the loose hair at the root. But think about it. You have a section of hair that is, say, 1 inch square. You put the lock through the center of it. Now you have a lock held on by 2 sections of hair that are only 1/2 inch. That's nowhere near as strong as the original section. So to "fix" it, you push it throughperpendicularto that whole. Now you have the same lock held on my 4 sections only 1/4". Not only that, but those 4 sections are strained. A minor tug pulls out hair from your scalp all along the edges of all 4 sections. If you tugged the original 1 inch lock, you may pull out a few hair, but only 1/4 as many.

That weave pattern will never lock. Hair may tangle around it. But that section of hair NEVER locks, itself. Tangled, knotted hair will always be stronger than it. Take a rubber band, for example. I urge you to use a real one to see what I'll try to explain. Rubber bands are elastic. Obviously your locks are elastic, but healthy mature locks should be spongy and flexible. Tie a knot it the rubber band. What is the weakest part of the rubber band, now? The band that is loose and flexible, or the area right by the knot? Say the knot is where the interlocked portion is. Hold the band there and pull it until it snaps. If you have a good rubber band that doesn't have any rips in it to begin with, it will snap either right at the knot, it within a few mm of it. That's what interlocking does. It creates a weak spot.

/ 16

Dislike 6

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form