Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Dreadlock removal method

Circle Dancer
@circle-dancer
11 years ago
121 posts

Thanks for the tip. I am removing mine. I loved them but they got too heavy and I couldn't stand it anymore, always pulling on my scalp and causing horrible headaches. :( I really don't understand how people grow dreads down to their knees. I could barely hold my head up straight.

I've only removed a few of them part way. It's been two days and a lot of work, I can't even imagine how long it's going to take until I'm done.

updated by @circle-dancer: 07/22/15 07:32:50AM
April Mersinger
@april-mersinger
11 years ago
1 posts

So I basically joined this to share a bit about my success with removing my dreads. I don't know if this is how I go about doing so but here goes nothing. The post that I am replying on was perfect! Super useful info and great tips. Couldn't agree more with most of what Mary had said.

So about 2 years ago, I decided to dread my hair. I was all out on my hippy thing. Living in a tent in the woods. I let my boyfriend use 2 Wendy's (fast food restaurant) forks, pomade (BAD DECISION but it was all we had) and the dirt that was already in my head to get them going. It worked pretty well aside from the super greasy head I had for about a week or two. It took them 6 months or so to start looking good but I was loving it. I let nature do the rest.

About a year later, I ended up pregnant. They were looking great! UNTIL (or so I thought) I started putting on all of that baby weight. I was feelingvery unlike myself and started thinking a lot about the baby and getting a bit tired of all the comments on my hair and when I was going to "take those damn things out". When our house started filling up with all of the baby stuff, it really began to set in that I wanted my regular long hair back. I was sure that I was just hormonal and that I would regret my decision to remove them but I went with it anyway!

So like I said, I love long hair. There was NO WAY I was cutting them out. Just no way! There were down to the middle of my back so I could only dream about how long my hair would be if I took the time to brush them out. The baby was due in 7 days before I began. I dreaded the thought of being in labor with my head full of dawn dish soap and conditioner when she decided to exit the womb so this motivated me ALOT!

It took me six days. Six days, pretty much around the clock. My boyfriend was working a lot so he helped for about 4 of those hours but for the rest of it, did it all by myself. I cried and smiled. It was painful and beautiful. After you take out the first three or so the feeling is so motivating and promising. Trying to get out the pomade was the hardest thing I have ever done. I stood in the shower for maybe and hour at a time scrubbing it with dawn dish soap and olive oil. It helped break it up a little. But the real savior came in the conditioner. Two big bottles of conditioner and a knotty boy kit (which I do not suggest... it smelled lovely and had the pet comb in the kit so it wasn't a total loss) but any good conditioner will save you!!! Just comb and comb and comb!!!

Personally, I do not regret it! My hair is beautiful and healthy again. However, I would dread my hair again. And maybe will someday go back :) but for now, I am happy! I hope this helps someone who is just as nervous about it as I was. This thread helped me get a lot of useful info. So I thought I'd share my story as well. I attached a before and after (sorry for crappy quality).

Blessings to all,
April Mersinger

I have some photos and anyone who has additional questions can e-mail me at amersinger26@yahoo.com. I hope this helps someone just like me

CoriElaine
@corielaine
11 years ago
173 posts

If you cut them at the root, what would there be left to comb out?? O_o

Apollo said:

the way i removed my dreadlocks was i got scissors and cut them at the root and i combed the rest out

/ 2
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form