Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

some new dread questions

Jessica9
@jessica9
12 years ago
27 posts
my dreads are a week old today .i noiced when i made them (took 3 days ) that they are kinda bumpy .its just the way they turned out i guess . they were made by twist and rip,but i had to back comb the hair slightly or the twist and rip wouldnt hold .will the dumps even out ?i assume so, but it just really bugs me. and i just want to palm roll the heck out of it.i just got 40 dollars worth of beads, and i really want to wrap a few but i heard thats bad for new breads. so im waiting.also ,my ends are really weird and are blunt , can i just comb them out a little ?ill be posting in this thread with any other questions that pop up .thank you !
updated by @jessica9: 02/14/15 09:51:51AM
Ixchel
@ixchel
12 years ago
597 posts

bumps are normal, get used to them because you will surely get more before they tame down (they do pull in a tame down but you may still have small lumpys here & there). palm rolling is pointless & temporary at best, damaging at worst. don't worry about it.

you can wrap new dreads just use small sections of wrap or open wraps & switch them often. but beads are the easier/better option if they will stay in.

you can gently comb out your ends a bit, there is directions somewhere for this. olive oil will help loosen it but only use very little & only get it where you want to brush it out (i forget what type of brush you can use, sorry).

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

Bumps and loops mean that your sections are knotting. As knots and tangles form different hairs grab hold of other hairs further down or further up the shaft. That's where the loops come from. It's a good sign. They do eventually flatten out, but in the end, they are still there, to a point, but look more like texture than loops. You'll never end up with perfectlysymmetrical locks.

As for combing out the tips I'd recommend jojoba oil, before olive oil. While olive oil will work, jojoba is closer to the natural oils that your scalp and hair produce. So it's a safer bet. Just dab a little bit on the tips and use a soft bristled brush (toothbrush is better), and gently brush them out

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

yea u can comb out the tips but they may loosen anyway
and get used to bumps do not palm roll !
bumps are m=normal and nesacary nit to mention beautiful
leave em alone they will be forming way mor e loops they do suck in over time near maturity..most will the ones that stay you wil; be glad they stayed

u goit the idea of salon dreads in your head that take extreme work to prevent bumps in fact some cut them off! insanity thety do extreme damage to remive bumps that usualy go away on their ownn
palm ri]=olling will just weaken your dreads and do next to nothing to the bumps
(unless your read falls off)

just leave m alone and see the veauty in the organic nature of them

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Jessica9
@jessica9
12 years ago
27 posts
I think the bumps are from when I made them, I think I did more ripping in some areas, I have like three weird small dreads.It'll be like normal straight hair, then a big knot, then semi knotty then loose. It drives me crazy they don't feel like my others.My other one problem, I have on dream that when I made, I pulled it one direction while making it.On one side on the dread root its tight, the other side of the dread its loose. This dread likes to stand straight up. As my roots grow, will this stop?So I can wrap baby dreads? I won't wear it in forever. Maybe two weeks, then take it out for awhile?
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

yea it will and yea u can but if u leave it in they will be thinner where wrapped

post pics lets see whats going on'

--
Jessica9
@jessica9
12 years ago
27 posts
http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa7/jpjessie102/meeeeeeeeee.jpg That's the only semi decent picture of me I have right now.Tomorrow I'll get some that aren't meant for Facebook lolI had crazy thin and fine fair.Yet I made, 35 or 36 dreads, some with decent thickness to them already.Can't wait till my beads get here.They are starting to relax finally or, I need to wash them. One of the two.Soon as I fix the tips. I'll be very happy with them for their age!
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

bumps? they look rediculously straight already

definately wash em

--
Little Wing
@little-wing
12 years ago
41 posts

They look good!. At least to me. Your hair is gonna change a lot, just be patient. :)

Jessica9
@jessica9
12 years ago
27 posts
Kay ill wash them very soon!So they look decent. I mean I know all dreads are different.But I have a few that feel like pure rope already. I must of twist and ripped them very well. They are almost hard.I have some that are floppy and loose.But other then the tips, the loose hair doesn't bother me at all.I'll get better pictures, maybe you'll be able to see the bumps. Cus I sure can feel them. Lol
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form