Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

tips for starting my dreads

the tattered laddie
@the-tattered-laddie
12 years ago
3 posts

sadly i have not started my dreads, but i plan to very soon if things work out ok.

my hair is about 8 inches long and is wavy, but gets kind of curly half way down. does this sound like it would work well with dreads?

i'm mainly wondering about what i should use, as i am probably going to go with the natural method. i read doctor bronners is good but also that it's not good unless you have hard water, which i don't. so while i'm starting natural locks, i do not know what i should be using or how i should wash my hair. can i use baking soda or should i just use a residue free shampoo, and what is one that i can get at the store? should i scrub my hair at all, or just my scalp with my fingers?

i guess i should lay all my questions out here

how exactly should i wash my hair while starting natural locks?

what exactly should i use and is baking soda totally okay?

how often should i wash my hair while i'm just starting (during the first month or so)?

sorry that i have so many questions

updated by @the-tattered-laddie: 01/13/15 09:33:50PM
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

Dr. Bronners is good if you have soft water. Hard water is when it doesn't rinse out well. The same goes for the BS wash. There are some awesome soaps from dreadlockshampoo.com. They work in all water types, and the makes liquid and bar soaps. liquid is great for baby locks, but you can use a bar if you like it more.

Just wash your scalp, no you hair. When you rinse, the soap will run through your hair.

Have you seen the post on BS/ACV ratios? Baker Street posted a good description. It should be a featured thread.

Wash as often as you like. But make sure that your hair dries completely between washes. Every 2-3 days is good. When they mature, you can wash a little less often, bu try not to go less than once a week.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

baba covered it all pretty well ill just add that if u use bs u dont gotta scrub at all or touch tyhe hair even

if u use bronners dilute it akot 12 times more water then siap

bronners is a super concentrated all purpoe all natural soap its made to be diluted to diferent ratios for diferent purposes undiluted u probly could use it to scrub grease and ol off an engine while a 5-1 ratio might be good for floors and laundry

and 12-1 a shampoo and 20-1 a facial..

(all but the 12-1 shampoo are rough guesses but the lable lists alot of ratios )

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
the tattered laddie
@the-tattered-laddie
12 years ago
3 posts

thank you for the information. i think i might go with dr bronners after all if i can buy some. something else i forgot to ask is what drying methods should i use? can i dry my hair with a blow dryer or should i just let it air dry?

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

air dry when u can blow when u must (like mid winter and u gitta go oi=ut in suv-b zero weatger right after washing)

sitting in the sun will dry it fast

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form