Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

New to dreading.

ZachP
@zachp
12 years ago
3 posts

Hello all, I have questions about starting my journey to dreads.

I'm not sure how to start, I'm aware that you must stop combing and whatnot but is that all you do?

Is there certain soaps that would help my hair start dreading faster?

Can I still tie my hair back?

Any replies would be appreciated, Thanks a ton.

updated by @zachp: 01/13/15 09:32:56PM
ZachP
@zachp
12 years ago
3 posts

Also, I'm not sure how to navigate this forum so I apologize if this is posted in the wrong section

Claire Wilson
@claire-wilson
12 years ago
23 posts

Check out the "Dreaducation" section, the link to it is in the navigation bar at the top of the page. All your questions will be answered there, plus some you haven't even thought to ask!

But here are some short answers anyway:
- Stop combing, leave your hair alone, then when you start getting knots separate the hair into the sections you want the dreads to form in.
- Clean your hair with baking soda and water (there are instructions on this in the dreaducation section), then use the apple cider vinegar rinse. It is the cleanest and nicest your hair will have ever felt! Wash in between 1-3 times a week, depending on how often your hair needs it.
- You can tie your hair back, but it will slow down the process, as it is the hair moving about that causes knots to form.

I am five weeks in, and I have some mad dread babies happening already, so it won't be long till you do as well. I'm looking forward to seeing pictures of your head along the way :) Have fun and enjoy the experience!

Claire

ZachP
@zachp
12 years ago
3 posts

Thanks so much, I'll check out that section, and I appreciate the info you gave.

I'm real stoked for the journey to come!!

Claire Wilson said:

Check out the "Dreaducation" section, the link to it is in the navigation bar at the top of the page. All your questions will be answered there, plus some you haven't even thought to ask!

But here are some short answers anyway:
- Stop combing, leave your hair alone, then when you start getting knots separate the hair into the sections you want the dreads to form in.
- Clean your hair with baking soda and water (there are instructions on this in the dreaducation section), then use the apple cider vinegar rinse. It is the cleanest and nicest your hair will have ever felt! Wash in between 1-3 times a week, depending on how often your hair needs it.
- You can tie your hair back, but it will slow down the process, as it is the hair moving about that causes knots to form.

I am five weeks in, and I have some mad dread babies happening already, so it won't be long till you do as well. I'm looking forward to seeing pictures of your head along the way :) Have fun and enjoy the experience!

Claire

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

Welcome. It looks like where you are, you might have a small issue with hard water. That area of Ak. is on the slightly-moderately hard side. The BS wash is great, I love it, but you might run into trouble with washing it all out. Give it a try, though. If you find yourself itching afterwards, even when you use ACV, you may want to look into any of the soaps from dreadlockshampoo.com. They are designed to work in all water types. And you can get liquid ones from them, so it's easier and gentler on your baby locks

KnotLady
@knotlady
12 years ago
300 posts

ive been wondering about the dreadlock shampoos. 15$ seems kinda pricey. how long does it usually last and is it worth it?

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

Definitely worth it. I got a small 1 ounce sample size of it, and it lasted for 4 washes. And if you really wanted, you could dilute it a bit to stretch it out

Valérie
@valrie
12 years ago
539 posts

I actually diluted it to get it to distribute a bit easier and it works great. It made my hair pretty soft so I am currently using it as an additive to my Dr. Bronner's mix and when my hair matures I will be transitioning to the bars.

Honestly, the pricing is comparable to quality shampoos so I'm okay with it. :)

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form