Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Couple questions

Jonah Uhls
@jonah-uhls
12 years ago
5 posts

I got my dreads done about a week ago(backcombed), and the individual dreads are thinner than I'd like, and while I realize that they do get thicker over time what I'm seeing on me right now,compared to friends of minewhen their dreadswere at the stage mine are at, mine seem considerably thinner.

My question is, how would I go about making the dreads thicker, and at this stage would it bea difficult/overlylengthy process to do at this point?

updated by @jonah-uhls: 01/13/15 09:32:52PM
Alexander Šuma
@alexander-uma
12 years ago
17 posts

just sit and wait...Your dreads will get to be approximately the size of your section.They will always be thinner in the beginning stages.Not including loose hair/frizz..

You have different thickness of hair and what have you than other people,so timelines don't have to match up for progress.I am months behind my fiancee,hers still have catching up to do compared to mine in certain areas...Backcombed hair will loosen a good bit too.But just wait it out.you don't have to restart or anything.Just time.You don't shed hair like normal haired folk do,it will remain in the dread,so it will build mass.Patience,and take Biotin(B7) supplements if you want..But paitence really.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,639 posts

count how many you have

guestimate the average size of the area at the roots

but keep in mind ..size dont matter

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
lionm
@lionm
12 years ago
8 posts

Would combining dreads later on down the road be a problem? I have never actually tried it. I just let em do their thing.

Jonah Uhls
@jonah-uhls
12 years ago
5 posts

I mean, when I look at the roots I'm okay with thesize, but the differencebetween the size of the roots and the size of the actual dreadis what I'm concerned with. Is that a promblem that'll just go away with time?

soaring eagle said:

count how many you have

guestimate the average size of the area at the roots

but keep in mind ..size dont matter

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

Check out any of my vids. You'll see that most of my locks are made up of between 2 and 7 combined locks. It's not hard to do. You just stop separating them where you want 2 to become 1.

They ALWAYS will be thinner when they start out. When they start, they are more compressed than they should be. As you wash them, they will loosen up, and some might even come out. That's ok. As they reknot and tangle again, they will become sponge. This is because, while they are maturing, they tangle comfortably and correctly for themselves. When mature, they start to be just about the same size as the section. So as thin as they are, now, they wont be in 6 months. They'll be much thicker

Valérie
@valrie
12 years ago
539 posts

You probably have a lower hair density than your friends so your hair will be thinner than theirs and take longer to thicken up (I'll bet dollars to donuts that if you guys had undreaded hair that when using the same hair elastic to put in a pony tail you would have a smaller one than her/them as well.)

Anyhoo, if you like the size of the roots then let them be for a while. Honestly, you won't have any sort of thickening until later down the road from where you are at now anyway and if you let them congo too soon you could end up with massively heavy and thick dreads later on that you do not want. Waiting to congo later is a lot easier than splitting dreadlocks to make them thinner so I highly recommend waiting it out. You are, after all, only at 1 week so you have the whole unraveling and looping process yet to even start which will change everything.

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form