Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Sigh back to where i started

Tied up in knots
@tied-up-in-knots
12 years ago
202 posts

Goodo. Never use just one source for information. Always check credentials and history. That's why I get my dread advice here from S.E. and not from other sites.

Ixchel said:

thanks tied up, i didn't even realize it was you who said it i thought it was the original poster since i was skimming through trying to reply to a couple different comments at once. i think no matter the topic or the blogger you will find blogs out there with good or bad information, you just have to do more searching to decide what is the good or bad. i'd never take a single blog as "fact" lol

Tied up in knots said:

Ixchel. I do apologize for the housewife comment. That was out of bounds. If I didn't have a part time job I'd be a housewife too and I don't think I'm a dumb bunny at all.

The problem is that I follow more than a few mommy-blogs, written by housewives, and they also moonlight on advice columns and give TERRIBLE unfounded advice about things they know nothing about. So I had a knee jerk reaction and chose the improper wording.

I'll edit that out.

updated by @tied-up-in-knots: 07/23/15 04:22:08PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,639 posts

we had 1 chick on here last year who crochetted the hell out of her dreads and poured an entire bottle of lemon juice over her head and left it on for days at a time

i told her both were bad for her hair and she went on a rampage

panterra who has 30+ years experience with hair and pretty much knows all there is to =know about hair and scalp care tiold her shes basicly disolving her hair and will end up bald eventualy so instead of stopping (shed only done this a few weeks and thought her 3 weeks experience was better then 30 years of scientific proof)

so she made youtube vids badmouthing me the site and everything calling us nazis and hair police because we rried helping her so she wouldnt ggo bald

some people reacte with anger when you try to help them

its not that the advice is bad

its not that anyones trying to push their viw=ews on anyone else

its just that some people have anger o[issues or just hate being told they are doing something wrong

in fact they would rather keep doing it wrong just to prove a point even if the results can be devestating

o

you got the best advice we can offer

stop using lemon juice

use the bs with acv (seperately) or a dread shampoo

or your hair will keep falling out

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
TheOhm
@theohm
12 years ago
21 posts

haha i love how ur all so apologetic. those are the responses i was looking for.
Ha this website is great but my computer gets a bit slow so i can have difficulty navigating forums.. organization and a bit... of dare i say.. backcombing(or separating congos is more appropriate) would do it wonders... i really dont think bakingsoda has detergent(cleanser) qualities which is why it is great. but i guess you could say exfoliation will remove dirt. I also was reading that the lemon juice only reacts when heated or something besides the point. I love my lemon :( tastes so good when washing lol

So bs for reducing oil production & acv is for removing oil and normalizing ph and to stop over production of oil?

Any word on dr bronners? why didnt the baking soda & acv remove the gummy stuff?

Oh i have one more good question but ill start another thread for that one.

Thanks for all your advice and responses. sorry for any hostility.

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

If the BS solution is too weak, it'll start exfoliating, but won't be strong enough to strip it completely off your scalp and out of your hair. When it dries, it'll leave that gummy mess. If it;s still not strong enough the next time you wash, it'll just exfoliate more dead skin but will still leave some behind. This just piles more and more of that goo in your hair and on your scalp.

If you make it stronger, it should start to clear up that residue. It own't happen right away because there is so much, but after a few washes it'll be all gone.

As for Dr. Bronners. It's awesome. I used it for the first 5 years, and nothing else. I just started with the BS wash about 4 months ago, and haven't turned back. But, I have nothing against it. I used it once when I was in Ireland because I couldn't bring a baggie of white powder onto a plane. lol.

But Dr. bronners has 1 drawback. It doesn't rinse out well in hard water. It'll leave a sticky residue behind. If you have soft water, it's a great soap. I use it for normal washing. But it just doesn't work well in hard water.

You're right that baking soda isn't a detergent. It' not even close. It's a salt. Salts aren't detergents. I could go into the biology and chemistry of what makes a detergent, but that's for a different discussion. It has cleaning powers because it's a salt and isabrasive. You could clean just about anything with plain table salt. But the gases that baking soda releases makes it more effective as a cleaner.

I understand that you love lemon. I like it to. But in your hair it will do more damage than good. I know we've said it before, and I don't want to stress the point, because you can do whatever you want with your hair. It's yours. We are just trying to inform you of how to keep your locks and scalp healthy. What you do or don't do with that information is up to you. No one is going to go to your house and hide all of your lemons

Supa Dread
@supa-dread
12 years ago
100 posts

So, SE has 22 year old neglect dreads. most folks here have dreads, and after i removed the wax from mine and started my washes, my hair locked faster and became less oily...YOU sir or maam have no dreads, all these people do...yea...im taking their word over yours, no one got defensive sir/maam. You did. If you dont want to listen to people with years upon years of experience of naturally washing their dreads, than thats on you, there's plenty of love on the site, but there's also a lot of ignorance and hardheadedness from some..

One

/ 3
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form