Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Before i start dreading, i need some advice ! (Which Method)

Jessica9
@jessica9
12 years ago
27 posts

Guess im gonna have to look a little ratty for awhile!
Haha thats fine.

Awesome thanks!

We have a bunch of kids in my school who had neat perfect dreads, though ive never seen a black kid with nappy dreads.

Ill look like the crazy white kid doing it wrong.
Whatever, im out of there soon! I just want them perfectly imperfect .

updated by @jessica9: 07/10/15 09:09:49PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

dunno who that is but those are definately natural and wild

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Jessica9
@jessica9
12 years ago
27 posts
So my mom agreed we will do my dreads, even if my dad doesn't like them, she says it's my hair and if it makes me happy. We will do it.She will be helping me with the twist and rip method.I've seen a lot of people complain they look like braids. How can I avoid this.I've watched alot of videos on it and it still confuses me.Any advice? I'm so excited!
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

It is kind of like a braid. But dirty looking. Instead of using 3-4 sections. You use 2.

Now, take a section of hair. If you want thicker locks, 1 inch sections are usually the biggest you want to go. That'll give you about 40 locks. If you want more, make them smaller.

With that section of hair in your hand, split it into 2 parts. They shouldn't be even (Even parts is what makes them look more braided). Pull those sections away from each other. Then make 2 new sections. Pull those away from each other. Then 2 new ones. And again pull them away from each other. You want to do this until you are at the tip of the new lock. Each lock can take some time. So be patient. Even if they look a bit braided at first, as they mature, that appearance will go away and you will not be able to tell.

You don't want to pull them tight against your scalp. This causes a lot of problems. First, you can pull hairs out that will weaken the locks and root. It'll itch more because more stress was put on your scalp thannecessary. If you pull too tightly, you can actually start traction allopicia, which leads to baldness.

Each lock does not have to be uniform. In fact, they shouldn't be. There should be a certain amount of variation in size and shape of the sections. Doing this will fill in any gaps that appear.

When you wash, if you haven't heard already, your locks will unravel and come loose. This is natural. It happens to all baby locks. Don't try to redo them. It might not feel like it, but this untangling is a step forwards, not backwards. They need to come loose so they can reknot and lock up on their own. Every time you put them back together you are starting over from scratch and they will never progress past the first few days

Jessica9
@jessica9
12 years ago
27 posts
Awesome thank you that helped.When they come undone, can I atleast separate them, to keep them from knotting to other dreads?Can I wear beads in new dreads? I know rubber bands are bad.I have a good feeling mine won't come super undone. Since my hair knots like CRAZY. I'd go natural, but I want more control.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

u can have all the control u want going natural just by seperating

u can wear beads in new dreads but if u dont move em now and then the dread mighyt thickebn both above and below making it permenant (almost most likely eventualy it will fall out but might take years)

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Jessica9
@jessica9
12 years ago
27 posts
I'd take them out while I sleep and such. I'd just like to decorate them soon as I get then.Do the dread wraps screw up baby dreads?

/ 3
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form