dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

my story and some questions

lexxerd
@lexxerd
12 years ago
6 posts

Hey all,

I started growing my hair out for dreads 14 months ago. Today I have 8-9in of hair all around. I started doing some research and realized there was alot involved with sectioning and dreading hair that I just wanted to pay someone to do them for me. I ended up finding a guy who does hair professionally and had previously done Asian and Caucasian dreads and had a good knowledge of how to do them. So I stopped worry about researching on how to do them yourself and decided to have this stylist do them. Well...bad idea. The whole situation really sucked to be honest. I couldn't see really what he was doing because the mirror was small and most of the time I was facing away from it. I told the guy I wanted 34-40 dreadies. I ended up with 52 horribly backcombed sticky gooey dreads. In just a few hours some of them were completely flat, and falling apart. I wasn't very happy with the job but figured I just needed to keep palm rolling.

After about 3 days I was tired of palm rolling my hands and getting my hands all sticky from what ever was put in my hair. I was told it wasnt wax but that it was a mud. It was brown and I couldn't read the label, so not really sure if thats even true. The palm rolling was not helping at all, they would would just fall right apart a few minutes after. I started doing more research, and then found a really informative page ( http://www.ragingrootsstudio.com/sectioning.htm ) about sectioning and read here that the grid pattern has the worst coverage of the scalp. This pretty much made me want to take them out. It took nothing to comb them out while washing them, didn't lose any large amounts of hairs, there weren't really any tight knots, it all came right out. After the wash I had a female friend section my hair, and backcomb them into dreads. We had alot of trouble backcoming because there was still some type of residue in my hair still. We went ahead and finshed them. In a day they were falling apart in the middle and on the ends. We couldn't really get any knots started close to the roots either because of the greasy garbage in my hair by the roots, Needless to say, I washed them out, and had to wash my hair about 8 times with dawn dish soap and soaked my hair in apple cider vinegar for an 40min. I then washed my hair twice with mane and tail to try and get all the dawn residue and conditioner feeling my hair had. Today my hair down to my shoulders and wax free.

So I've done my research, I want to aim for the 30-40 range (my second attempt I had 27!) and do the RnT method with alot of change ups to avoid to much braided look. I had a few questions when going this route. I understand that palm rolling is kinda optional and hair will lock on its own, but maintenance wise with new RnT dreads.

How long should I wait before my first wash?

How long till I should be regularly washing them 2-3 times a week?

Is it okay to put my dreads in a pony tail while im at work with my new RnT dreads?

What can I do to prepare my hair for dreads?

How can you get conditioner out of your hair? (the dawn soap left my hair silky smooth, its normally dry and poofy)

updated by @lexxerd: 02/14/15 05:11:59PM
Chad Moss
@chad-moss
12 years ago
1 posts

Hi Lexxerd, I'd be glad to answer these questions. Ok, so as for the first wash I myself waited about 2 and a half weeks to wash them after I stopped combing my hair. I plan on washing my hair at least once a week but for you that all depends on how active you are and how dirty you get. So you might have to wash it more. I hear that the baking soda mix everyone is talking about on this site is really good for dreads. I myself am using the Dr. Bronners magic lavender soap. It helps your hair dry out plus you can wash your entire body with it and it smells yummy. :3 I think that plenty of patience, time in the sun, (time in general), love, and a carefree attitude will help you remove all theunnecessary moisture out of your locks. Try your best to keep your hands out of your hair because all you really need is time and patience to get awesome dreadlocks. Maybe a little separating and twisting will do ya good too. I hope my answers helped.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

ok start off with a anti residue shampoo (and ill get more into other things i want to say to u in a moment) like suave clarifying or nutragena anti residue

then u can do a baking soda soak with sea zsalt

now

theres no reason to section at all

hair will section...;and dread..itself if u just let it theres no reason to palm roll backcomb tnr or any of that

if u just let it dread it will dread

but ok lets say your set on tnr sectioning more randomly is best a mix of sizes no grid patterns just be sure hairs from 1 sections not goung into another

washing theres no need to wait to wash u can wash 2-3 days later and u can wash njhormaly (2-3 times a week) from the begining

howecer they wikl loosen and look worse b4 they look better

dont redo them even if they fall apart completely they will dread back up on their own

ragingroots is 1 of the better locticiands as she refuses to do many of the mokre harmful methods instead refers ppl to less ethical salons

in all the world i estimate 1% of dread salons are worthwhile

oh u can wear a pony tail but better to be loose pony tail and let them be free as much as u can

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
lexxerd
@lexxerd
12 years ago
6 posts

Thanks for the quick replies. This is helpful! Is mane and tail or paul mitchell teas tree shampoos residue free? These are the two a currently have. What about knottyboy dread shampoo ( http://www.knottyboy.com/shop/product/dreadlock_shampoo_bar/ ) I wont touch their wax but are their cleaning products good?

lexxerd
@lexxerd
12 years ago
6 posts

Haha your funny

soaring eagle said:

if you want to get ahead starti got one word for ya, WAX. section where you want the dreads and lather it on up with wax. wax is like a magical gift from the heavens

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

wtf i didnt post that

--
lexxerd
@lexxerd
12 years ago
6 posts

weird it shows the default lion face picture now too

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

no they arent ok and knottyboy id boycott the dreadlockshampoo.com is by faer the vb=best

bronners or baking soda is fine too unless u giot hard water

lexxerd said:

Thanks for the quick replies. This is helpful! Is mane and tail or paul mitchell teas tree shampoos residue free? These are the two a currently have. What about knottyboy dread shampoo ( http://www.knottyboy.com/shop/product/dreadlock_shampoo_bar/ ) I wont touch their wax but are their cleaning products good?

--
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

was a troll an d he only lasted 2 minures till i noticed

lexxerd said:

weird it shows the default lion face picture now too

--
lexxerd
@lexxerd
12 years ago
6 posts

Why boycott knottyboy?

soaring eagle said:

no they arent ok and knottyboy id boycott the dreadlockshampoo.com is by faer the vb=best

bronners or baking soda is fine too unless u giot hard water

lexxerd said:

/ 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form