Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Help with finding Steps to take in Starting dreads?

Jacob Jones
@jacob-jones
12 years ago
2 posts
I want my hairs to grow into a natural loc. I don't know if I can do this. I need help for How long for results? After doing what? How should I wash? What should I wash with? Wax? Where to start? What's going on? Need anything else?
updated by @jacob-jones: 01/13/15 09:31:32PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

no wax never ever ever wax

u want natural dreads then all u do is wash with a non residue dread freuindly soap 1-3 times a week or the baking soda soak if shampoo scrub the scakp only not the hair let it grow let it dread it sections itself in a few days to a xcouple weeks then starts to dread as it dreads u will need to seperate sections so they dont grow together

thats it

ujits as easy as doing almost nothing

wax is a disaster in dreads no matter whatr u never want it in any dreadsits a scam

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

Wax is the furthest thing from natural locks. In fact, it will prevent them from locking all together. Those who used wax find that even after years of having dreadlocks, they can still pull them apart by hand and them just palm roll them back together. Real locks need hours and hours of conditioning and brushing to remove them from maturity.

The next worst thing you can do is use a crochet needle. These only break your hairs into smaller and smaller pieces. In time the hairs at the tips of your locks will not be connected to your scalp anymore. They will be connected to more broken hairs, which are connected to more and so on. Finally they will connect to hairs in your scalp. This weakens the integrity of your locks and tends to tighten them so unnaturally that they can actually just snap off from very little tension.

If you want natural locks, just let your hair be. Stop brushing/combing it. Wash often (1-3 times a week) with non residue soap, and start separating as needed when they start to knot up. Some people see amazing progress within a few days to a week or so. Some people (myself included) don't see much progress for a year.

Check out the recovery forum for ideas on how damaging wax and crocheting is. And check out the timeline forums for ideas on how other people are coming along. You might even find someone with hairtype like yours to compare to

Valérie
@valrie
12 years ago
539 posts

Sounds like Baba and SE have pretty much covered your questions. If you want more comprehensive information about dreads and maintenance (the pros and cons) plus the baking soda recipe as well as some other washing options (like Dr. Bronners or locking up liquid) go check out the dreaducation link (which is the 5th link at the top of the page.)

Also, check out some natural/neglect timelines since that is the route you are planning on using. The speed at which everyone's hair dreads is different but it's a beautiful process worth experiencing and sharing.

Jacob Jones
@jacob-jones
12 years ago
2 posts
For real. What I been doing naturally for a while is not showering often. I wash my scalp I guess with burts bees w/ baobab oil. It's really hard to explain or determine how to wash just your scalp when your hair grows from that. Anyways, I wash it and then go right to the pineal gland. Can I wear hats for a long period of time? I work 4 ten's per week and hydrochloric acid drips from the ceiling onto us general laborers all day. The hat I wear is just a braided paper fedora. Pretty nice hat. Glad I have it or I'd be bald. ^_^
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

The burts bees is not a good idea. Burts bees usually contains come type of hydrocarbon. Their shampoo has glycerin, which softens your hair by leaving a slick residue that will not wash out easily and will build up over time

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form