Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

skinny at the roots with big flat sections in the middle?

Paige
@paige
12 years ago
52 posts

The majority of my dreads look like this:

That is the same dread, as you can see it has lots of loops, but it's just so wide and flat. Most of my baby dreads are skinny till the middle, then they'll look wide and flat and loopy like in that picture, then with some sort of wispy end. You can see the skinny part in the shadow of the second picture. A couple of my dreads are skinny all the way down and just the end will have the flat part, like a beaver tail. Probably about 75% of my hair looks like that, with the other 15% just not dreading at all and the last 10% being more rounded but still pretty kinky. I'm at day 161 right now.

I haven't seen any pictures of forming dreads that do what my hair is doing....I guess I just need some reassurance that they'll mature into normal looking dreads.

updated by @paige: 02/05/15 10:12:49AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

whats a normal dread?

every dreads unique and different..or should be at least

they look like normal lokking dreads now to me

they will get less wild

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Valérie
@valrie
12 years ago
539 posts

Some of mine are doing EXACTLY what you are describing. I am at 3 and a half months (about 99 days-ish?)
My hair started off shorter than yours so I don't have quite as many loops in the middle but yes, they are thinner at the roots, loopy at mid-strand, and then straight at the tips. There are a couple that have gone a little bit past this "stage" and the loops have compacted a bit and the tips have sort of blunted themselves leaving a couple whispy-bits at the end... but still thin at the root. I also have some loose sections.

You are not alone in this hair description. I started mine TnR and you are pure neglect * yet are hair has a lot in common so I think this is a "normal" avenue in the progression to mature dreadlocks. :)

*EDIT: backcomb and neglect (as per your timeline.)

Paige
@paige
12 years ago
52 posts

Ah good I'm glad to know I'm not alone! My hair started off a little bit above my waist, and my hair (except for the very front sections) is shoulder length. It started shrinking A LOT at four months, I fear more shrinkage is to come! So you may experience that. I guess we just have to stick with it! Thanks for the reassurance :)

Valrie said:

Some of mine are doing EXACTLY what you are describing. I am at 3 and a half months (about 99 days-ish?)
My hair started off shorter than yours so I don't have quite as many loops in the middle but yes, they are thinner at the roots, loopy at mid-strand, and then straight at the tips. There are a couple that have gone a little bit past this "stage" and the loops have compacted a bit and the tips have sort of blunted themselves leaving a couple whispy-bits at the end... but still thin at the root. I also have some loose sections.

You are not alone in this hair description. I started mine TnR and you are pure neglect yet are hair has a lot in common so I think this is a "normal" avenue in the progression to mature dreadlocks. :)

Valérie
@valrie
12 years ago
539 posts

Yeah, mine started at mid-chest length and all of my shrinkage so far has been to my chin (yet there are still a lot that are slow on progressing, keeping my hair looking longer.
I just saw your timeline update and that dreadie (your first 1) got so incredibly short! Was your hair layered or shorter at that section?

Paige said:

Ah good I'm glad to know I'm not alone! My hair started off a little bit above my waist, and my hair (except for the very front sections) is shoulder length. It started shrinking A LOT at four months, I fear more shrinkage is to come! So you may experience that. I guess we just have to stick with it! Thanks for the reassurance :)

Paige
@paige
12 years ago
52 posts

Lol no it was the same length as the rest of my hair! Yeah from the front I still carry the longer haired look. I just looked at yours, you've made great progress. They seem a lot thicker than mine though. I'll try spraying the front of my hair with sea salt tonight!

Valrie said:

Yeah, mine started at mid-chest length and all of my shrinkage so far has been to my chin (yet there are still a lot that are slow on progressing, keeping my hair looking longer.
I just saw your timeline update and that dreadie (your first 1) got so incredibly short! Was your hair layered or shorter at that section?

Paige said:

Valérie
@valrie
12 years ago
539 posts

Mine all vary in size from less than pencil width all the way up to an inch (with about 3 of them being possibly 2 inches?) I did notice though that the thicker ones are moving along much faster than the thinner ones.

Paige said:

Lol no it was the same length as the rest of my hair! Yeah from the front I still carry the longer haired look. I just looked at yours, you've made great progress. They seem a lot thicker than mine though. I'll try spraying the front of my hair with sea salt tonight!

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form