dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Really really thin hair and dreads?

Chris Airwalker
@chris-airwalker
12 years ago
6 posts

So hello, I've been reading through this forum for some weeks now. and firstly:

REALLY beautiful community you have here. I love the attitude and vibe here, so open and relaxed and positive about everything and everyone! Keep it this way;-)

As so many other people in here I want to grow dreadlocks. I'm pretty sure I would like to go natural (maybe some backcombing to give them a little shape to start of with). I'm not very complicated and strict about the 'natural' rule as some other people seem to be. I'll do whatever is the best to get and keep the dreads I like and more importantly my body likes :-)

But there is this one little doubt about it: I have VERY thin and I also think very few hair. A few years ago I had them about shoulder length and when they were tied into a pony tail it wasn't much thicker then 1inch. So REALLY small...

I have blond, scandinavian, straight hair. I remember it really liked knotting up when it was that long. Without shampoo without conditionner it would was just about impossible to comb. So I guess that's a good sign... right??

So I'm still rather worried about the amount and 'density' of my (future) dreads... Is there a limit to how thin ones hair should be to not look like a half balled sick person with dreads?

And one other question: What kind of methode you think was used to achieve this? I know these are mature dreadlocks... nothing to expect in the first year or two for me... But it's the style I would like to go with my future dreads. And I think it's important to get it right at the beginning right?

My hair is about 5 inches long right now. My profile picture is from today...

Thanks for any helpful answer :-)

Chris from Belgium

updated by @chris-airwalker: 02/15/15 01:30:50PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

those look natural except might have been interlocked one time i think i cant be sure but something bout the roots of 1 looked off

anyone with loose hair in a ponytail will be about an inch but dreaded more like 6 inches

it sounds like yoirs is more then oerfect for natural dreads so id go with that

your hair will be fine usualy when its dfdreaded u cant tell how thicjk or thin it was b4

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Chris Airwalker
@chris-airwalker
12 years ago
6 posts

Oh nice SE. That sounds gooood :-) I think I needed someone to just tell me that it's going to be fine... I admit it's rather a big thing for me...

Is it better to wait a little with thin hair or better go with short baby dreads and let them grow as dreads?

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

well u got plenty to start id just go for it now

--
Chris Airwalker
@chris-airwalker
12 years ago
6 posts

ok then... let the neglecting begin :-)

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

they look relatively natural. But the texture of some of the ones wrapping the others into the ponytail along with the root of the one on his temple makes me think they were interlocked multiple times throughout the years it took to grow them. It looks like he interlocked a couple every few inches of growth. Who knows why, because the knotting in between looks great.

But you do sound like you've got fine hair for going completely natural. I have thinner hair too, and mine turned out great. Don't worry about it. Locks thicken up and create thickness and texture all their own

Heather
@heather
12 years ago
1,291 posts

i think that guy in the pic is a member here. if i remember right he no longer has his dreads.

anyway. i have fine, thin hair. i did backcomb my first set and it lasted all of two weeks before i brushed them out and went natural. starter methods in thin hair looks really scalpy if you know what i mean. i felt like i looked bald. letting the sections develop naturallycamouflagesit quite a bit.

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

When did you find to time to start coming around again? lol. It's been a while. I would have recommended he go right to you about this

Chris Airwalker
@chris-airwalker
12 years ago
6 posts

Hello guys,

Thanks for the words ;-) Appreciate it!

So neglect sounds to be the best way for me then.

Just wondering: what exactly do you guys mean by 'interlocking' the dreads?

If someone knows the name of the guy on the picture I posted in the first post I'd appreciate it very much.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

ijnterlocking is a horrible method thart used to be called root flipping..until,,.l it became common knowledge that root flipping caused dreads to break off so salons changed the name..now interlocking is starting to get to be known to cause em ti break so somesalons are calling t looping rooting or just say they have a secret technique

interlocking involves splitting the roots then feeding the entire dread through the gap in the roots and doing it over and over in a lattern around i think like every 30 degrees or so

so what it does is the hairs are twisted tightly where its fed through but also twisted around and around it makes these spots very weak as they have no elasticity at all so snap off if yanked it also causes the roots to thin and causes traction alopecia like twistjng cause it pulls the roots in way too tightly

if u liook at the guy in the pic a couple of his roots look crinkluy and thinner like a semi braid just once or twice at the roots

--
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form