Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

WHAT IS THIS SITE INTENDED FOR?

Luis Rodriguez
@luis-rodriguez
12 years ago
1 posts

SO BEFORE I BECOME A FULL BLOWN MEMBER OF THIS SITE I KINDA HAVE A QUESTION. I HAVENT REALLY DONE MUCH RESEARCH IM ONLY GOING BY WHAT IVE SEEN IN THE PAST 2 OR 3 DAYS. IS THIS SITE A PLACE WHERE PEOPLE WITH DREADS AND PEOPLE WANTING DREADS CAN SHARE THOUGHTS, PICTURES AND IDEAS? OR IS THIS JUST A PRO NATURAL AND ANTI EVERYTHING ELSE SITE? IM GETTING MY HAIR LOCKED IN A FEW DAYS AND I WAS WONDERING IF I CAN POST PICTURES AND SHARE MY JOURNEY WITH YOU GUYS OR IF IM JUST GOING TO BE BASHED AND TRASH TALKED TO BECAUSE I DECIDED TO GET MY HAIR LOCKED WITH THE CROCHET METHOD OR BACK COMBED OR WHATEVER I DECIDE TO DO? JUST KINDA SEEMS LIKE THIS ISNT A "DREADLOCK" SITE BUT MORE LIKE A NATURAL/NEGLECT SITE...LIKE I SAID THIS IS JUST MY OPINION IM NOT TRYING TO START TROUBLE OR PUT THIS SITE DOWN BY ANY MEANS

updated by @luis-rodriguez: 01/13/15 09:30:47PM
☮MamaKittyLove
@mamakittylove
12 years ago
198 posts

A lot of the people on this site have done other methods besides natural/neglect. I believe almost everyone on this site (so far) that I have met are all kind and love to give advice. I know for a fact that 99.9% of the members on here are against wax in dreadlocks though.....so I think if you were getting your locks professionally "made" you should either leave the wax out or not talk about it on here lol. That stirs a lot of people up.

christina popejoy
@christina-popejoy
12 years ago
91 posts

Hi Luis, Welcome.

This is my personal opinion. If you want dreads that will last a lifetime this site has the people,dread- education, know-how, mistakes made and in-turn the lessons learned, success stories and beautiful inspiration of healthy locks and also saved dreads from some of the most harmful methods. I mean I started with bacombing, alot of people start with the tear and rid method. But I believe the vast majority do go the natural way, and to be honest with now usinghindsightit makes alot of sense, as it costs practically nothing, you have to do barley nothing except wash andseparate. And it just happens. The starter methods tend to look more like dreads on the first day then they all unravel and loosen yet remain sectioned for the best part then begin to slowly knot back up. People talk with experience on the damage of some methods and have proof with their own personal journeys of methods gone wrong. You dont get hounded if you use a method yet some come strongly un-recommended. As does the use of wax the devistating effects of its usage are in fully backed up with proof too (ITS AN ABSOLUTE NO NO!) , only good advice out of the love of sharing the dreadlockjourneyand one that lasts is what you will find here.

☮MamaKittyLove
@mamakittylove
12 years ago
198 posts

Very nicely put. !!!!

christina popejoy said:

Hi Luis, Welcome.

This is my personal opinion. If you want dreads that will last a lifetime this site has the people,dread- education, know-how, mistakes made and in-turn the lessons learned, success stories and beautiful inspiration of healthy locks and also saved dreads from some of the most harmful methods. I mean I started with bacombing, alot of people start with the tear and rid method. But I believe the vast majority do go the natural way, and to be honest with now usinghindsightit makes alot of sense, as it costs practically nothing, you have to do barley nothing except wash andseparate. And it just happens. The starter methods tend to look more like dreads on the first day then they all unravel and loosen yet remain sectioned for the best part then begin to slowly knot back up. People talk with experience on the damage of some methods and have proof with their own personal journeys of methods gone wrong. You dont get hounded if you use a method yet some come strongly un-recommended. As does the use of wax the devistating effects of its usage are in fully backed up with proof too (ITS AN ABSOLUTE NO NO!) , only good advice out of the love of sharing the dreadlockjourneyand one that lasts is what you will find here.

Supa Dread
@supa-dread
12 years ago
100 posts

The site is really intended to enlighten people on anything dreadlocks. People here wont bash you if you go with a crochet method or anything like that, what they will try to do however is strongly discourage you from doing so, and with reason. A high percentage of members of this site are people who went with such methods, and then a few months later realized that they had no lock progress and they did nothing but damage their hair. A lot of folks come in asking for help to save their locks, some of them are loaded with wax, some of them see no real advancement, and some of them are even loosing their hair. This site is really about educating folks about dreadlocks with a strong emphasis on the natural/neglect method. I happen to be one of those who went to a locktician and used wax and 6 months of getting them twisted and being told not to wash them is when i said enough is enough and said something was wrong about that, thats when i found this site, and after removing all the wax that was used, and washing my hair 2 to 3 times a week, my went into lock overdrive and its almost fully locked in only 2 months. They're gonna also remind you and encourage you that REAL dreadlocks take time, and are messy for a period of time and to embrace that stage, because the very idea of dreadllocks is to let them be what they want to be, not force them into being uniform and all the same size and without frizz. At the end of the day, all of us are grown men and women and will do whatever we want to do, but if i can tell you from personal experience, i wish i woulda found this site before i went to a locktician, so i coulda went completely neglect. After wasting over 400 bucks in retwisting visits and not washing my hair, i realized the mistake i made. Now i wash my hair twice a week with basic supermaket items like baking soda sea salt and a few essential oils, and only separate them after washes and the development is undeniable. Just go through the help! save my dreads section, and it should be enough to send you running away from lockticians.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

its nit about the methods its about whats best for your dreads

think about it

natural method a gentle breeze tangles your hair you take a nap and it tightens..gentle as can be

crochets like using a jackhammer ..brute destructive force.. that makes it take 6 months longer to dread

not to mention like was stated the 400 dollars wasted thben 50-70 every couple weeks after and most locticians tell you not to even wet your hair for a full year! then only wash it when you come in ffor appointments

washing yoir hair is the only thing you do need to dread locticians woll make it harder to dread just to keep you coming back obver abnd over

you asked the purpose of this site

and that is to tell you the truth since every site with a monartary motive has a financial reason to lie

wax prevents dreading and never washes out yet they claim it maj[kes dreads mature in 2 months and washes out easy..lies

twisting is needed for tidy dreads but twisting will make you go bald lies

hell theres even a gredlocking gizmo that mangles yoir hair its a rotating tube thart pounds hundreds of crochet hooks through your dred as it slpins completely rediculouse destruction yet some locticians did try it on 1 member

1 freind even had liquid late poured over hear head her blond hair now sticky black rubber coated mess they then twuisted it and called it dreads as it hardened

this is why we recomend avoiding liocticians at all costs they do everythibg wri=ong and only cause harm

1 member spent 6000 dollars on her dreads they were a mess they also has so much wax caked in them she needed multiple surgeries multiple course ogf antibiotics for a grand total of 10 thousand dollars wasted because locticians screwed her

in fact her dreads acrtualuy somehow started to really dred during the time they were messing her up and what did they do/ cut off the loops the only parts that wrre dreading they chopped off!

before u even think about going to a locticualn read read read here we will save u thousands of dollars and the heartache of having to starr over

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Valérie
@valrie
12 years ago
539 posts

This is definitely an information and encouragement site. Mostly aimed at healthy dreadlocks. Some here are more fanatical about making sure a point is taken and others will just say it once to you, shrug their shoulders and walk away.

But what I hope that this initial post has accomplished is an encouragement for you to read the dreaducation information and to peruse the recovery section as well as the timelines of members so that you go to your locking appointment armed with knowledge (knowledge of what to expect at the appointment and what to expect from the methods they use.)

You will use whatever methods you want to... I just hope that you look up the aforementioned information before making a commitment.
Also, people will remind you periodically of the effects of the method as you post. There are way too many people on this site to just hear it once from one person and then silence the rest, if you catch my meaning. As long as you know that this site promotes healthy hair and methods as well as education and don't get offended by the insistence of this then please, by all means, join in and post.

Good luck!

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

and i'll add almost every dread problem can be traced back to what you do to them so when yiu come back for help you will be reminded again and again that the issues your asking for help about were caused by what youve been doing to them

so we can recomend you stop harming them over and over but if you dont listen your just going to keep coming back with the same ol problems.

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form