Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Besan and Coconut Oil Regimen (Inspired by Traditional South Indian Routine)

Beijaflor
@beijaflor
12 years ago
20 posts

With the push of Soaring Eagle, I wanted to share with you guys my washing routine that is/was used throughout Southern India traditionally. While I am not Indian, I use this regimen with the up most respect and I am receiving great results. It is great for anyone and it really keeps the hair clean and soft.

The Besan (Chickpea Flour) is used as a hair shampoo. It naturally has the highest saponins among all of the foods that contain saponins. In India, they take the flour and mix it with water and apply it to their heads for a few minutes. Then rinse. And then apply coconut oil every other day. I have modified this to better fit us with locks. What I do is I take a 10-12 oz container(make sure it has a top), then I take a panty hose and stretch it across the top, and I take roughly a teaspoon and a half (sometimes 2 teaspoons) of besan it put it in the panty hose. then once done I pour some hot water through the hose until the container filled up. Then I shake it and let it sit for at least 15 minutes. I use the panty hose so that the particles will not become stuck in my locs and usually the tea ends up being particle free.

Once done, I go and rinse my hair through some plain warm water to loosen up the dirt and then I remove the panty hose from the container, squeeze out the excess water into the container, and then pour the tea over my head. I leave it one for at least 5 minutes but you can leave it on longer for a deeper cleanse.

Then I allow for my hair to dry without applying any coconut oil. Usually I apply coconut oil before I wash which is a traditional way of washing that was usually done so sometimes depending on how long I left it on I dont need oil but I still put on a tiny bit if needed once my hair is dry. Since my locs are young, I apply coconut oil maybe twice a week so that my locs would not have to much moisture which may stop the dreading process.

Thats it! If it helps my locs are 3 weeks old and I am a brand new member. I hope this helps.. Please feel free to comment or ask questions.

(edit by soaringeagle) if you dont have african type hair or pretty mature locks you should skip the coconut oil cokmpletely till mature

updated by @beijaflor: 02/14/15 08:23:48AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

i know besans chick pea flour but where do u get it in the form you use it?

i am definately going to at least try this once

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

im going to feature it but i added a lil edit note at the end just for newbies who arent aware that conditioners like coconut oil wiukd hurt non african dreads too much early on

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Valérie
@valrie
12 years ago
539 posts

This is very interesting. SE, I'd love to hear results of you using it. :)

I also looked it up and you can buy it at your local Indian market. I thought I would share this because one of the replies has a detailed breakdown of the different types:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080923181154AACxd7J

Beijaflor
@beijaflor
12 years ago
20 posts

I get it from health food stores. You can get a whole bag of it for around 5 dollars and that would last you a good 6 months-1 year depending on how often you wash. Even longer if you wash once a week. i wash at least twice a week and i still have a lot.

And yes, i agree with Soaring Eagle that for non afro hair that it may be too much moisture. Coconut oil goes through all of your hair layers.. so thats 100% moisture penetration and its the only thing that moisturizes your hair that way next to water. Even I use just a finger-amount for my hair.. especially since they are baby locks.Also apply to only dry hair , if you apply it to wet hair it would hold in water longer which makes your hair take a little longer to dry.

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

I might give this a try if I can find Besan around me. I'm sure there's an indian store somewhere around

Beijaflor
@beijaflor
12 years ago
20 posts

You can also find it under Chickpea or Garbanzo Bean flour. Besan is the Indian term for that flour so it should easily be available in health food stores or even your regular grocery if you are lucky.

Jackie
@jackie
12 years ago
78 posts

Interesting! I'm not sure this is for me, but I love to hear what other people are naturally washing with!

Beijaflor
@beijaflor
12 years ago
20 posts

Thanks Jackie!

Manj
@manj
12 years ago
18 posts

hey, this is a nice post to have come across, (beingIndian :))

Besan is very good when mixed with coldyoghurt or milkand used as a face mask too,
I rather like the natural scent of the flour after washing it off and becomes a mild exfoliatorwhen you do.

my mom makes amazing dumplings with it too!

/ 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form