Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

crochet recovery experiences

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

ok yogisunshine wanted "scientific studies" to backup the experiences with crochet recovery since there is none i figured a comparison of experiences to gather data would be god enough

so heres the questions i want you all to answer

1. did you crochet once or alot/
  2. if more then once how often for how longt?
  3. total estimated crochr\et seessions?
  4. how far in did you stop?
  5. how long from that point before you noticed dreading signs (like looping)
  6. how tight or loose werethey when yiu stopped?
  7. how fuzzy did they fget during recovery?
  8. how long did it take to lose the woven look?
  9. how long till the roots started tightening naturaly/
  10. how long till they lost the manufactured look/

any other experiences you wish to share?

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1

updated by @soaring-eagle: 02/14/15 03:17:28AM
Sheribaby
@sheribaby
12 years ago
30 posts

So mine were started with TnR, crochet and interlocking.

1. I crocheted 2 or 3 times after the intitial creation

2. at three months I crocheted them myself - then at 6 months I had them crocheted by the people that started them. Somewhere between 0 and 6 months I probably sat on the couch and attempted to crochet a few - nothing too dramatic)

3. 3 or 4 maximum crochet sessions

4. 6 months is when i stopped (approx)

5. I think I noticed the regrowth dreading on its own after maybe 4 or 5 months (can't really remember) so thats a guestimate - I'm not totally sure about looping but I have loops on the bottom 4 inches of dread

6. They were tight because they had just been crocheted :) but they have softened up a lot and are quite spongy now.

7. Not really fuzzy at all - there is loose hairs coming out of the dreads but they are not and have never really been tragically fluffy since i stopped crochet - admittedly though I had hair down to my thigh/butt region before I dreaded so I don't know if that is an advantage to not having fluffies or not

8. I'm 19months in (13 of which are no crochet) and they still look a bit woven but I honestly think thats more from the TnR than crochet

9. The roots started locking naturally pretty quickly - probably 4-5 months after I stopped interlocking and crocheting

10. They haven't looked "manufactured"to me for a few months (people keep telling me to get them "fixed")

Hope thats what you are after SE ..... I never really crocheted my roots though - they were interlocked and I used a big doll makers needle to pull regrowth up inside the dread to stop the fuzzy halo look - the crochet was mainly used to pull fuzzies in on the lengthy part of the dread (not the base)

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

thnx that helps would love more experiences to compare to too

--
Dreaded Shredder
@dreaded-shredder
12 years ago
25 posts

1. A LOT. I crocheted extensions onto each of my 42 dreads. It required A LOT of crocheting to get the extension tight enough on my Twist and Ripped dread so it wouldn't fall out.

2. I crocheted my entire head all over probably 7-8 times over the course of 2.5 months. Although when the stupid extensions would fall out I would have to crochet them back in.

3. all over sessions: 8 crocheting of extensions onto my tips? Sheesh: 40 times?? :(

4. At about the three month mark, I was sick of my extensions and the fake-ness. They kept falling out and were so generic looking.

5. My hair started looping overnight. I have really curly hair and the loops were unbelievable. I was in love!

6. My dreads were never tight from being crocheted, they were however weighed down from the weight of the extensions, so when I took the extensions out, my hair was free to twirl and dread on its own, which happened rather fast. My roots even dread really quickly because of my hair type. Its quite phenomenal actually.

7. They were so fuzzy!!!!! I hated it! But after 2 months or so, the fuzz calmed down and my hair was on its way to healthy healing\

8. I never really had a "woven" look

9. within 1 week the roots were dreading naturally without effort

10. My dreads lost the manufactured look slowly over probably 1 month. Each month they keep getting better and better. It really is a phenomenal process. I am so happy I threw out my crochet hook!!! and my fake extensions. :)

I had to use olive oil on the tips of my hair to help with the split ends from all my crocheting. :)

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

wow u had unbelievably fast recovery thats unusual but like u said your hair type wants to dread like crazy

--
Dreaded Shredder
@dreaded-shredder
12 years ago
25 posts

I actually can't believe how much my hair is locking up. Some of them are really getting quite mature, especially the first two I made (they have about a two week head start on the rest of my head). I actually quite like the look of grown out roots that are loose and messy ... and had no idea that I would never really experience that type of look. Mine are dreaded all the way to the base already! I'll have to take some close ups just to show what my hairs done on its own! Its crazy!!
soaring eagle said:

wow u had unbelievably fast recovery thats unusual but like u said your hair type wants to dread like crazy

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

i should spank you for ever crocheting hair that wanted to dread so quickly

bad dready haha

but seems u were lucky and your hair forgave u faster then most

Dreaded Shredder said:

I actually can't believe how much my hair is locking up. Some of them are really getting quite mature, especially the first two I made (they have about a two week head start on the rest of my head). I actually quite like the look of grown out roots that are loose and messy ... and had no idea that I would never really experience that type of look. Mine are dreaded all the way to the base already! I'll have to take some close ups just to show what my hairs done on its own! Its crazy!!
soaring eagle said:

--
Dreaded Shredder
@dreaded-shredder
12 years ago
25 posts

Haha! :) :P

jamie tuckey
@jamie-tuckey
12 years ago
2 posts

i made my dreads by back comb and twist and rip or whatever they call it, after a month/2months i started crocheting them to make them lock faster but i noticed they started to look and feel to man made so i have just been using a homemade lockaccelerator to rinse them with and letting them carry on by themselves, they are starting to recover, i am getting more loose hair and the roots are starting to knot up, im also getting kinks etc but im just wondering how long they will take to look good?

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

much longer now crochet backfires causing more loose hairs and makes them too tight to dread so usualy takes 6 months longer ..or more

but if your getting loops thats a good sign

--
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form