Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

dreadlocks changing more than your hair

Bianca Poell
@bianca-poell
12 years ago
5 posts

personally i think that it made me feel more comfortable about myself in general. I dont worry much about how i look now that i got my dreads becasue before i was so self concious that i think it was affecting my self esteem. I have decided to get dreadlocks as a part of marking a new chapter in my life so i guess it really changed my perspective a lot not only physically but symbolically on my emotional side as well.

Sheribaby
@sheribaby
12 years ago
30 posts

My dreads have made me relax more. I don't really know why - its like a weight has been lifted off my shoulders. Sometimes things happen in your life that make you realise life is short and you have to do the things that matter to you - dreads matter to me (and I know that sounds dumb but they do)

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that growing locks is going to rub a lot of people the wrong way. Before you decided to grow them, you probably, even if you didn't realize it, did some things for the benefit of others rather than for yourself. Growing locks helps release you from that bond. You start to realize that you don't have to look a certain way to fit others idea of normal. Some people get that without locks, but locks do help.

It's good that your locks matter to you and that they are not just forfashion. I couldn't ever imagine thinking of my hair as just hair.

Circle Dancer
@circle-dancer
12 years ago
121 posts

They made me feel sexier. Which is funny, because I know a lot of people in the world would have said I was way sexier before with my sleek black hair that went all the way down to my butt. But the fact of the matter is, I didn't feel like "me" with that hair... never really did. That's why I wore it up in a messy bun for years.

Dreads made me, ME. I feel like ME now. My outsides match who I am on the inside. And while some might disagree that my hair is sexier now, the confident vibe I send out now definitely is noticeable.

chalale young
@chalale-young
12 years ago
1 posts

I have just started natural dreads 3 days ago and i feel like i have found a side of that i did not know i had and i love it. I have began eating more healthy and not that processed stuff or chemical stuff i feel like i am more healthy and like i am more just relaxed.

Kerri Wheeler
@kerri-wheeler
12 years ago
1 posts

Dreadlocks have upped my self esteem greatly to be honest. Before, my hair was super crazy; I was nicknamed the lioness by a few of my friends haha. Dreads have taken that away and also earned me lots of compliments. I totally dig them and don't plan on getting rid of them ever, they not only raise my self esteem but also are just fun to have.

Btw, for all those concerned Dreads DO NOT stop you from getting a job. I earned a job as a lab assistant at a university with them about 6 months ago.

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

Good to know. I am a Bio major. I never had doubts that I'd get a job in a lab. Scientists are strange people anyways. But it's good to hear from another person working in a lab that they didn't have any issues

Nicholas janousek
@nicholas-janousek
12 years ago
49 posts

Yeah I know what you mean Ever since i started i look at pic of me before and i almost dont recognize myself I've gotten used and have grown to love how it looks and it feels this is i how i should look

Whip Thehooper said:

They made me feel sexier. Which is funny, because I know a lot of people in the world would have said I was way sexier before with my sleek black hair that went all the way down to my butt. But the fact of the matter is, I didn't feel like "me" with that hair... never really did. That's why I wore it up in a messy bun for years.

Dreads made me, ME. I feel like ME now. My outsides match who I am on the inside. And while some might disagree that my hair is sexier now, the confident vibe I send out now definitely is noticeable.

updated by @nicholas-janousek: 07/23/15 07:01:16PM
Nikki Whiskgirl Lindsey
@nikki-whiskgirl-lindsey
12 years ago
14 posts

ah my 2 week dreads have already brought out a change in me. i half back combed dreads and half neglect, some have beads, some have ribbons, some are big and some are small, they are very unordered and chaotic, which seems to accurately reflect the inner me. i am bipolar and have hidden this as much as i can for the past 20 years, my dreads have made me not care about other people knowing now, they are there on display for the world to see and i kinda feel everyone that looks at them can see the real me....they have made me feel so much more confident and even beautiful. my dreads have and will continue to change me and my life for the better :)

Blair
@blair
12 years ago
11 posts

I've changed so much in the past week since I started my dreads. For as long as I can remember I was never happy with my hair. I hated it short, I hated it long, I hated it when it was down, I hated it when it was up. I was almost constantly brushing it because it was always getting tangled up. I spent 20 minutes every morning trying to flat iron it and fill it with waxy products so it would stay flat. When I finally started my dreading process it was the most freeing thing I've ever done. I never realized I could love this 'nappy mess' on my head as much as I do. After the first time I washed them with the bs deep cleanse my hair felt amazing. I decided that if my hair felt that good without chemicals, sulfates, and perfumes being put into it, then my body would feel great too. I went out and bought organic body wash, lotion, and deodorant. Im also starting to eat better, not just for the weight loss, but because it makes me feel so good. I'm more energetic, and in better moods.

It also made me realize that I didnt need to take any crap from my controlling boyfriend. He hated that I finally stood up for myself and I did something he told me not to do. Sad right? Our relationship will be ending soon, and I'm happy to say I'm not sad about it at all.

So you could say my dreads changed almost everything about me for the better. I feel almost enlightened. Sorry for such a long response. Haha. :)

/ 6

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form