dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Naturally occurring dreadlocks a concept difficult to grasp

c21dread
@c21dread
12 years ago
17 posts

rofpmslmao :)

of course you must have been to a loctician Jdwood how else would u get such a wonderful head of hair

.nice of him to save u the bother of having to talk to him Denney

unfortunately the world is full of dumbasses.

one thing about honesty is that some idiots are scared of it and so do not bother entering your life - which is nice

updated by @c21dread: 07/09/15 12:07:27PM
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

Well, people just have twisted views of what locks are. To the layman, there is a difference between matted, and tangled hair. They think that dreadlocks are twisted, therefore tangled, but your hair is not twisted, therefore it is just matted.

They don't get it that tangled and matted are the same thing. Try explaining to them that your hair naturally twists and tangles itself. You don't have to do it to your hair.

If all you say is that you wash, people automatically envision clean, straight hair. They might look at you, and see locks, but that not what's going on in their minds. It's a form of change blindness. They are seeing what they are imagining. It's hard to explain. It's like day dreaming while your listening to someone talk. You hear the words, but have no idea what they just said when they stop talking.

hippiegal
@hippiegal
12 years ago
182 posts

These people probably think that you get dreads by not washing your hair. They don't make the comb connection.

Baba Fats said:

Well, people just have twisted views of what locks are. To the layman, there is a difference between matted, and tangled hair. They think that dreadlocks are twisted, therefore tangled, but your hair is not twisted, therefore it is just matted.

They don't get it that tangled and matted are the same thing. Try explaining to them that your hair naturally twists and tangles itself. You don't have to do it to your hair.

If all you say is that you wash, people automatically envision clean, straight hair. They might look at you, and see locks, but that not what's going on in their minds. It's a form of change blindness. They are seeing what they are imagining. It's hard to explain. It's like day dreaming while your listening to someone talk. You hear the words, but have no idea what they just said when they stop talking.

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

I've got a full back piece, so I know what you mean about ink. When people ask me how long it took, I just tell them. I've been on the table for about 11 hour so far. It hurts, but not as much as you'd think. I just try to give them an example of what they have probably felt in their lives. It's like getting a small shock over and over again.

That's a shame about the girl at work. Sorry to hear you have to deal with that on the regular. I'd just be very short and frank with her. One word answers are good for people who don't want to accept the truth. It;s hard for them to argue with you if you don't add to the conversation.

Heathen Hippie )O(
@heathen-hippie-o
12 years ago
164 posts

I live in Indiana. My MIL's best friend used to do hair for a living. She also happens to be black. And I hate, hate, HATE the stereotypes!! She tells me to put wax in my hair and that I need to twist it... I told her no, I'm good, it will lock up eventually and I am NOT putting greasy wax in my hair. :| My MIL has felt my one little dread and says it's soft, she doesn't think the rest of my hair will ever dread. I haven't had many other responses from too many people, except my mom says all the college kids where she works who have had dreadlocks had lots of problems with them [I told her my guess is they had them "done," rather than letting them happen] and she thinks it's a phase..... ugh. lol. Other than that I have had nothing but positively curious or pleasantly surprised comments about my hair and how I wash it and what else I do all natural, like my laundry detergent, my bread, etc...

I very much agree with the OP... it's not much to do about dreadlocks but dreadlocks are one of those things that people don't want to change their mindset about. They are one of those things that require more thinking and changing your way of thought and sometimes your feelings about things, and like someone said if the people you are talking to aren't at that point in their life, they will reject what you tell them and some will always try to challenge you. I also have to say I was very happy to see someone comment about the brainwashing involved in the pregnancy/birth process, infant feeding, and modern medicine! haha. Totally OT but still, <3.

Circle Dancer
@circle-dancer
12 years ago
121 posts

Some people must just give off this vibe where people feel comfortable coming up and talking to them. I guess I must look like a scary bitch because I've received zero comments about my dreads or pretty much any other way that I've looked. People do stare at me though.

Andres2
@andres2
12 years ago
70 posts

well it has to do a lot with you body language. if you look friendly and talkative they will talk to you. only my friends and family have made remarks about my dreads. my family of course is going to give me negative comments. my friends are just curious. but, yeah i do get that stare. my classmates probably spend the whole college lecture staring at the back of my head.

Circle Dancer
@circle-dancer
12 years ago
121 posts

Yeah, Ive never been good at projecting "friendly" body language, even though I am a nice person. A lot of people have told me I'm "intimidating"... maybe I'll work on changing that. I tend to walk around like some sort of weirdo in my own world. :D

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

I was like that in highschool. I was the one goth in my whole school in all grades. I wore all black, black nailpolish, eyeliner, black leather trench coat (even after the school imposed a no coats in class rule), and multicoloured mohawk, and I never changed for gym and carried an umbrella if we did anything outside (Yeah I was that kid). The kids in my grade didn't get to know me until my senior year. Before that they were all afraid of me. And once they got to know me, they had to explain to all the freshmen that I wasn't going to shoot up the school.

It didn't happen until I changed my whole dress that strangers started to feel comfortable enough to come up and just talk to me. I'm not saying it's all in how you dress, but people do tend to create an image of you before they talk to you at first glance

hippiegal
@hippiegal
12 years ago
182 posts

It's like the way people used to freak out in the 60s about men with long hair. That too was seen as unclean, degenerate, unsocial, threatening, etc. But to these guys it was political, spiritual, or freeing in some way - even if only from having to visit a barber every six weeks. Fifty years on and there are probably still folk who rail on about 'long-hairs,' but mostly it's accepted now. I think in decades to come you will see a lot more dreads and dreadlock-wise people. It's up to us to set the course for natural dreads, and undercut the salons before they move in too far.

Sara M~ )O( said:

I very much agree with the OP... it's not much to do about dreadlocks but dreadlocks are one of those things that people don't want to change their mindset about. They are one of those things that require more thinking and changing your way of thought and sometimes your feelings about things, and like someone said if the people you are talking to aren't at that point in their life, they will reject what you tell them and some will always try to challenge you. I also have to say I was very happy to see someone comment about the brainwashing involved in the pregnancy/birth process, infant feeding, and modern medicine! haha. Totally OT but still, <3.

/ 9

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form