Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Naturally occurring dreadlocks a concept difficult to grasp

Gabriel Beauchemin
@gabriel-beauchemin
12 years ago
50 posts

I still found that surprising, magical, that when the hair are uncombred, they ''stick'' together to form dreadlock. Nothing in the hair hold the the dreadlock together, but with time it is stronger an stronger. Don't you found that special?

updated by @gabriel-beauchemin: 07/22/15 12:17:42PM
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

I don't know what it is about where I'm from. I keep hearing stories about people's bad experience with otherscriticizingtheir locks. Where are you guys from? I am in Philadelphia, Pa, but I've had locks for years before I moved here. before that I lived in a little suburb right outside the city. No one ever said anything to me about mine except my family. It could be that they feel close enough to me to say something negative, but It still shocks me that everyone here seems to have had some ignorant comments directed their way.

The only questions I ever get are from people looking to grow their own and if I have some advice on how to do it, and how to wash them. Everyone here seems to know that they are clean and don't smell.

Maybe everyone else is just to into their own lives that they don't want to rock the boat by talking to strangers. My parents neighborhood is like that. People know they have neighbors, but don't actually know their neighbors. And it's not like like there're miles between houses.

I like the advice about acting confused though. Good call. If I ever do end up in that situation, I'll totally use it

Janice
@janice
12 years ago
49 posts

I live in Canada. I have thus far only had great responses (other than my parents, who are in their 70s). Oh, and one VERY drunk guy in a pub told me I had a lovely tree growing on top of my head. HAHAHA! I had to laugh at that one...

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

baba philly has a hell of alot of dreads its hard to go a block without seeing dreads and then in june they have the massive odunde fest on south street thats literaly a sea of dreads a croud of dreads so tightly packed its haerd to move through the crowd and its like 5 square blocks of dreads ontop of dreads so its not like ppl in philly are surprisded by dreads or dont know ppl with dreads..tho some still are ignorant and assume they are weaves or extentuioins

now if i go to siome lil hick moutain town u might get a much diferent reaction

heres an example

thomasville nc broke down there camped at a preists house while we waited to fix the van

was me and 5 others (1 had lobes stretched to the point he could put his azrm through he hung skateboards even car batteries and suitecases from his lobes as jewlery haha)

sanyway

we showed up the town ..the entire town..pannicked nobody lef6t their houses we stopped in the library to make calls about van parts we were there an hour and the policce got 38 calls cauise nobody knew where we were haha (the cop that stopped us to talk to us bought us lunch a carton of cigs and a case of beer hagha)

so an hour later we gto back to the van we were almost there when a van puiulls up and the drivers whispering to 1 of the other guys then drives off aparently he told him "you better leave town fast there are people with guns out looking for you" needless to say i dont have that van no more..we got the hell outta there fast

another example we were crystal mining in ark ..mt ida everything was super cool very freindly met some amazing ppl but then this born again bible thi=umper invites us to stay with him

2nd day there he starts throwing rocks at the 1 female with us (also a dready) ..why? cause he peeked in the room when she was changing her shirt so decided she was a witch and a tsnake haired temptress and had to be stoned to death (his exact words

we found out the next day he bit off his pregnat ex's ear!

another example allegheny national forrest many years ago (90s?)

(actualy maybe late 80's)

i went to go to a gathering with no info at all (ill tell the whole story as it was kinda ..miraculouse) we got there a month early so we wandered the forrest (800 square miles) trying to guess where it was (we didnt even know when haha)

so for a month we kept dropping into town (tidiout aka titty out haha ) and 1 day a car drives by and throws a mscdonnalds shake at us

then turns around races by and throws a si=oda bottle at us

and again a can of beer..i mean really trying to hit us in the head or something

so we went back to the woods wandering around a few more weeks and 1 day just decide to park in a spot not much bigger then a parking space but i jumped the vw bus up into this spot

we camped there 3 days a racoon ate my weed and then 1 day we hearvoices down at the road

so i pop up onto the van roof to see over the ramp/hill i jumped up and the very 1st kitchen was parked right below in an 80-0 square mile forrest we found the trail head with no directions at all jusrt pure instinct and luck

anyway

back to the story

when the gathering was in full swing this skinny lil redneck kid runs up to me in tears and starts hugging me crying..i dont find that sorta thing that unusual at all but it turns out this was the kid that was throwing stuff at us

he said he just didnt understand..he saw these ..odd looking peiople ..people like hed never seen before so thought it was cool to throw stuff at them

he learned a real lesson that day

anywho its 4 am im babbling haha so ill wrap this up

point is

there are alotta sheltered ppl out there who dont know anyone with dreads

they hear rumors that dreads are made by smearing shit in your hair and maybe ..just maybe they did see a drea talking biut jah or whatever and they think dreads are drug addicted psycho killer cultists bent on molesting kids amd enslaving virgins..well i gues it would be easier to just say they dont understand whart dreads are or what they mean or ..anything

so ignorance breads predjudice which leads to misplaced anger and hatred of the things they dont understand

srry bout the babbling haha

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Jdwood
@jdwood
12 years ago
275 posts

You always have the mostinterestingstories SE.

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

That kid with the skateboards is nuts. I don't mind the stretched lobes. I've got them, but that must have hurt to carry around a skateboard from your head.

What's in north carolina? I don't think I'd ever be caught dead in the south. Too much ignorance going on there.

Some people just get the wrong idea because they see homeless people who can't take care of theirhygiene with locks. It does happen naturally, so people who don't wash or brush end up with them. And it's automatically assumed that they're drug addicts. Plus locks are still considered a thing for pot heads in the eyes of unenlightened people.

I'm glad that redneck saw the error in his ways. Some people just need the chance to get to know dread heads, and they'll see that we're normal people too.

Not babbling at all. I love to hear your stories

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

And I know how Philly is. I went the parade the other day, and I saw 5 or 6 heads there in the first 5 minutes

c21dread
@c21dread
12 years ago
17 posts

hilarious- locticians - now i have heard everything - i am so naive !! dreadlock salons hahaha the irony

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

i love that youve had dreads 23 years and never heard of locticians and dread salons lol yet so many newbies think thats the only way to dread or the dreaded dread kits

they think you have to force it\

ppl who had dreads as long as you and i when we started we never heard of backcombing or any methods other then just stiop combing andf let it happen

thats why tioday so few dreads are going to last as long as ours

--
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

no ofcourse nopt6 if it doesnt get messy 1st it wont dread

if you comvb it u prevent dreads

how dificult is it to understand?

all your life you comb to prevent dreads

you dont comb..it dreads

its that simple to understand

Iron lion zion said:

It's hard to understand... I mean can I comb it a bit at least? so it wont look like a mess?

--

/ 9

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form