Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

removing hair dye from dreads

mercy ~
@mercy
13 years ago
44 posts

ok so i dyed my hair black like 4 or 5 months ago and my roots are coming in which are medium brown and i really dont like the way black dreads look on me so i was wondering if anyone used hair dye remover on their dreads??? i need to know its safe cause i dont wanna ruin my babys!!! haha and i rreallly dont wanna bleach my hair

updated by @mercy: 02/14/15 09:46:20AM
Panterra Caraway
@panterra-caraway
13 years ago
667 posts

Hair dye remover is hard on the hair in general...any hair, whether dreaded or not. It is also something that I don't advise people to try on their own because is needs to be applied very quickly and evenly and watched VERYcarefully. You also must recolor immediately as the remover will leave the hair a rather odd color most of the time. It does not just remove the artificial color and restore it to its original shade. It is akin to bleach, yet slower in development... so not quite as damaging and easier to control an even result...but still a very big job. That is why I advise people against black hair color in the first place...because unlike other shades, it is very hard to get rid of and is a harsh and difficult color to wear in general. Do you know a professional? Even a friend in beauty college would be better than attempting this yourself.

I just took a look at your profile and pics. If that is how you look, I would leave it alone Sweetie. Although it may be darker than you want right now and you have roots coming in, I think your dread babies are coming along nicely and your hair is in a good place. I wouldn't disturb it. As time goes on, you could either stay natural or put another color and as time goes on you will end up with black tips . Your hair will shrink significantly as it matures. Trust me, you won't end up with alot of black left, maybe half ofwhat you have now, although it will take awhile. I think you will end up happier leaving it than to do a remover. :)

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

good point it p[robly would look cool with black tips

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
mercy ~
@mercy
13 years ago
44 posts
Ok thanks! Its not like pitch black its dark brown I hope my color fades cause the BS
Angel Frye
@angel-frye
13 years ago
409 posts

Actually, the ACV will lighten your color. My hair was dyed a pretty vibrant copper-auburn about a month before I started my dreads and I noticed the color dulling down after a few times of using ACV. The color had never reacted that way before so I am sure it was the ACV doing it.

I'm growing my hair out in my natural salt and pepper so I'm going to be right there with you, Mercy, in having awesome colored lock tips.

Panterra Caraway
@panterra-caraway
13 years ago
667 posts

Actually, yes! Your hair will fade with the BS. And you are right, I would call it more deep coffee brown than black :) As it lightens, you may get a kind of reddish cast to it, which I also think would be nice for you. In reply to Angel's comment...Depending on what the hair was colored with and the condition of the hair in general, will determine what lifts the color and how dramatically. BS is used to degrease walls prior to painting and opens the cuticle layers because it encourage dryness, so its stripping abilities will be pretty strong. As for ACV, it smoothes and closes the cuticle...so, it will not pull as much color out...unless you are using henna to color or perhaps another semi-permanent/vegatable based color. Because those colors sit on the cuticle layer to begin with and do not penetrate into the second layer Cortex, any substance (even water) will fade those colors significantly :)

mercy ~ said:

Ok thanks! Its not like pitch black its dark brown I hope my color fades cause the BS
Angel Frye
@angel-frye
13 years ago
409 posts

"Depending on what the hair was colored with and the condition of the hair in general, will determine what lifts the color and how dramatically."

hehehe... I've got something that'll fry your brain Panterra: Ferria professional color. Ya know... the BAD stuff! Fantastic color range. I love it. But in combination with other things...eh. Read on.

I once had my hair colored with some of that and a few weeks later tried to get a perm at a salon to keep my frizzy hair together more nicely. OH my god. My hair turned white at the roots, orange the rest of the way down and started breaking off. Not pretty. Let's just say that a hair stylist was crying that day. I wasn't as freaked out as I could have been. By far. I just had her shave it. But oh my lord was she freaked because she didn't ask what kind of dye I used. I didn't know that it mattered.

It was a tragedy. But ya know what? It's HAIR. So the hell what. It grows back.

It's interesting seen my roots grow out now. I've always been so fanatic about keeping my hair color nice and neat.

Panterra Caraway
@panterra-caraway
13 years ago
667 posts

Well, I have seen this same kind of reaction...thank goodness you were calm. Actually, the type of color does not matter, unless the color contains metallic salts...but many perms are hard on hair. And to top it off, some stylists don't wrap properly and distribute tension evenly...which gives you that nice breakage you mentioned..ugh! But, all in all...I would place your unfortunate mess and its responsibility in the lap of the stylist. There are mutlitple factors to consider when doing chemical services and when a client has color, you need to be very sure you asking the right questions. Sorry that happened to you...but you handled it the best way you could :) Man.......

Angel Frye said:

"Depending on what the hair was colored with and the condition of the hair in general, will determine what lifts the color and how dramatically."

hehehe... I've got something that'll fry your brain Panterra: Ferria professional color. Ya know... the BAD stuff! Fantastic color range. I love it. But in combination with other things...eh. Read on.

I once had my hair colored with some of that and a few weeks later tried to get a perm at a salon to keep my frizzy hair together more nicely. OH my god. My hair turned white at the roots, orange the rest of the way down and started breaking off. Not pretty. Let's just say that a hair stylist was crying that day. I wasn't as freaked out as I could have been. By far. I just had her shave it. But oh my lord was she freaked because she didn't ask what kind of dye I used. I didn't know that it mattered.

It was a tragedy. But ya know what? It's HAIR. So the hell what. It grows back.

It's interesting seen my roots grow out now. I've always been so fanatic about keeping my hair color nice and neat.

mercy ~
@mercy
13 years ago
44 posts

i just want this black outta my hair!!!!!! i want a deep red color urgh

SurrealLove
@surreallove
13 years ago
12 posts

In my experience with dark brown hair, it just fades over time, not even very long. So if it were me, I'd just wash and wash and it probably wouldn't be long before you could dye a red over it. It'd look vibrant in the sun but nice and dark inside.

/ 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form