Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Four months and nothing happening

Butterfly
@butterfly
13 years ago
56 posts

Oh god don't tell me that Nick!!! 10 months? You must be even more patient than I am. I just expected something by now.

I don't run my fingers through it when I wash it, like I said. I pour the Bronners on and pat it to suds it up. I leave it on for a few minutes to make sure it saturates my scalp before I rinse. I don't rub it when I towel dry it. I just put it up in a towel when I get out of the shower and leave it for a few minutes while I get dressed, then take the towel off and let it air dry. Sometimes, I gently squeeze the wet ends with the towel.

I will go back to the baking soda but my hair is not oily at all. It is very dry. When it dries after my shower it looks like straw, it's horrible. I've had dry hair all my life. I have dry skin, dry nails, dry hair. I had a hysterectomy several years ago and everything has been desert dry since then. I have to use tons of moisturizer on my skin. Right now, I wash my hair about 3 times a week but I'll try twice a week if you think that will help. It just starts to get itchy and flaky white stuff on my scalp if I wait too long which is gross. Usually when that happens is when I wash it.

I'm willing to try anything. I will go back to the salt spray again, but it didn't do anything before.

updated by @butterfly: 07/03/15 04:12:09AM
Nickberber
@nickberber
13 years ago
24 posts

i do exactly the same things...except my hair that are a bit oily..

i was my hair every 3 days,but ill do it 4 days to see if something happens..

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

nick u started at shabved so u still need another inch or more

thats just a matter of length is all

butterfly

hmm thats odd but ya know its not ungheard of to take that long

beads would help but if they wont stay on perhaps a lil wrap like a 1'2 in cuff in the center might be an option

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Heather
@heather
13 years ago
1,291 posts

i feel for you. i had/have the same problems knotting. i'm almost 13 months now and am finally looking like i'm dreading my hair. it took me a good six months to start knotting. beads are a big help. i would suggest using bs/acv instead of bronners though because bronners is an oil based product and it might be leaving a residue that's preventing the knots. add a tbls or two of sea salt to your bs mix and you can add a few drops of essential oils too if you want a certain scent. just dump it over your head and let it sit for about 3-5mins. and then rinse. no touching necessary. then you do the same thing with the acv rinse. i personally skip acv because my hair gets a bit oily.

if all else fails you could always do a starter method to jump start the knotting. good luck to you:)

Butterfly
@butterfly
13 years ago
56 posts

Ok, I am switching to the Baking soda starting today and adding a bit of sea salt. I will skip the vinegar at first and see how it does. I can't believe it took you 6 months Heather. I guess my expectations were off. I didn't expect a full head of dreads by now, but I did expect some knotting to have started by now. I appreciate all the support and suggestions and I hope they will work.

Butterfly
@butterfly
13 years ago
56 posts

SE, where would I get those cuffs you mention? I live in a pretty conservative area and not sure I can find stuff for dreads so I would probably have to order from the internet I guess. Or could I get them from like a craft store like Michaels? I'm not sure I know what they even are.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

ah well wasnt something u buy but make

what i meant was like doing a hair wrap type thing but only a short one or "cuff" probly not the best term i guess haha

take embroidery thread or hemp tie a knot around the section wrap it around and around till u covered like 1/2 inch then tie a knot

leave it on for a couple months i think they will stay on better then beads cause u can wrap em tight

Butterfly said:

SE, where would I get those cuffs you mention? I live in a pretty conservative area and not sure I can find stuff for dreads so I would probably have to order from the internet I guess. Or could I get them from like a craft store like Michaels? I'm not sure I know what they even are.

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Butterfly
@butterfly
13 years ago
56 posts

OK, I've got some hemp I bought for crafts so I'll give it a shot. Thanks for all the advice!

Juniper Pärla
@juniper-prla
10 years ago
33 posts

I see this discussion is quite old but i was just wondering what has happens since this thread was active.

I'm having a verry slow progress myselfe so I'm curious how it went.

/ 2
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form