Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Adding real-hair extensions or "falls" at the root to real dreads?

bad seed
@bad-seed
13 years ago
10 posts

Will do! :)
So far i'm thinking the best way is you get/make the fakes with the loops on the end so you can just slip them over your real dread and maybe just bobby pin them in for a night out.

or if you wanna go more permanent I'd guess you'd have to sew them in maybe, i'd have to look in to how to do that the most dread-friendly way. either way when I do get round to it I shall post my discoveries on here :)

thanks for the encouragement, can't wait to see what the next few months does to my hair theyre really starting to take shape, cant believe nearly 4 months have went by already !

Alisa Yuldybaeva said:

But yeah extension can be cool I guess to make a more fuller look lol If you can attach them well that is. I'm considering to add a couple as well. Might look cool! So please do tell if you find a good non harmful and easy method

updated by @bad-seed: 07/22/15 06:20:35AM
Elaina Clayton
@elaina-clayton
13 years ago
8 posts

I just added a few real hair extensions to mine the other day! I cut my hair a few weeks ago because i had some long weird stringy pieces that didnt look right so i gave myself a trim and my hair was too short for my liking so just made a few dreads out off these human hair extensions that i had already. I used a comb and a crochet hook to make the new dreads and then got one of my dreads that was the same thickness and cut just a bit off the end of it to make it fray out. Then i took the new dread and frayed the end off that and i used a crochet hook to attach the new dreads to the ends of some of my shorter dreads..some people might not like that but if youre wanting length and fullness it works! maybe ill post i video

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

another way to have length..dont cut them

Elaina Clayton said:

I just added a few real hair extensions to mine the other day! I cut my hair a few weeks ago because i had some long weird stringy pieces that didnt look right so i gave myself a trim and my hair was too short for my liking so just made a few dreads out off these human hair extensions that i had already. I used a comb and a crochet hook to make the new dreads and then got one of my dreads that was the same thickness and cut just a bit off the end of it to make it fray out. Then i took the new dread and frayed the end off that and i used a crochet hook to attach the new dreads to the ends of some of my shorter dreads..some people might not like that but if youre wanting length and fullness it works! maybe ill post i video

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Elaina Clayton
@elaina-clayton
13 years ago
8 posts

or do. considering the title of the discussion yo

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

well look at what u said

i cut em cause they were long then they were too shoert so i extended them

if u just left em alone theyd still be long

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Elaina Clayton
@elaina-clayton
13 years ago
8 posts

i cut the long HAIR , my dreads were already short

Sweet,
@sweet
11 years ago
133 posts

l'm a hairdresser by trade and also have thin dreads and have been adding like some of the others say ' sheeps wool' you first make up the dreads either by wet felting or dry felting with a needle, make a skinny bit in the middle of the two dreads so then you can thread it through the root part of 1 of your dreads. You can also add the coloured wool to the ends of you own dreads with a felting needle, but ONLY the ends as the barbs in the felting needle will shread your dreads to pieces!. Adding the already made up wool is so the answere as its a nature thing and doesn't feel like that plastic synthetic.

If you need more help i can take you through step by step what to do and where to get the carded wool :)

KnotLady
@knotlady
11 years ago
300 posts

volume comes after a while...the hairyou shed gets caught inthe knots, thickening your dreads. and new sections of hair growin between existing dreads.so theres alot that will happen. mine is at about 8 months and ive gotALOT more volume than i had.just another reason dreads arebeautiful. its takes a little time though.

bad seed said:

thanks for your comments!!
Yeah I was thinking about that method [the looping it through a dread]... i heard that would damage the root though [splitting it]

And I also want to avoid any crocheting methods of doing this...BUT I've been through the search on here and found THIS youtube video which shows you how to make a single ended dread with a loop on the end...

and i think that would work well...just loop it over one of my dreads and thensecureit maybe by sewing it or using clips if i didn't mind it being less permanent

I think i probably should be a bit more patient as well.. :D I'm nearly four months in and theyre coming along great. it's not the thickness of the dreads I'm bothered about, it's just the fact I dont have enough hair to have as many as i'd like...i think looking through progress pictures is a good idea because i have nooo idea right now how theyre going to be TOMORROW never mind when matured...

THIS is my dreadlock idol and she just seems like one of those people with TONNES of hair, ive seen photos of her before she had dreads as well. Since my hair has always been stubbornly fine i just get the feeling my hair will never look like this without a bit of help but I'll probably be waiting a few more months before investing in some extensions :)

thanks for your help. :)

Lauren Halsall said:

i wanted some bulk to mine so i added a few felty dreads in a brown colour which worked ok

just buy some merino wool and making them is simple, i'm not sure about adding hair sorry and wouldnt you have to use a crochet hook to put it in which would weaken it at the root?? you could always make some from synthetic hair and add that in to the underneath to put it in you make it teice as long as your hair make a hole in the root of your dead and just put it through the hole i'm sure you could make some from hair and do it that way i'm sorry if this is no help

but your hair will thicken!! if you've not been dreading long it's worth your time just to wait a couple of months if you look through members old pictures to now you can see how they change, the best thing to do would be to give them time :)

updated by @knotlady: 02/05/15 10:12:49AM
KnotLady
@knotlady
11 years ago
300 posts

but SE's point is...they arent ever going to be longer for real if you cut them. putting extentions onto cure aproblem patience would have solved is kinda counterintuitive.ive got lots of long wispy bitsand i feel it give my hair anice shape and makes it lookvery natural.
Elaina Clayton said:

i cut the long HAIR , my dreads were already short

Sweet,
@sweet
11 years ago
133 posts
I am 2 years in and have still a whole heap of scalp area, I just havn,t enough hair, something like a few have answered about brown sheepskin wool is a great idea, but how you make them is the secret to success, when you make a really long piece of felted dread you do it twice the length of the dreads you want, then roll a supper skinny piece in the middle of the two dreads, something when you pull it through the skinny piece sits right in the root of your own dread, with the middle bit being something skinny it won't make your roots split. I f you felt it was a bit weak just sew in some cotton threads, you can also pull out the added dreads at any time real easy.

/ 3

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form