Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Anyone have experience with Frozen locs?

Hans Miniar Jónsson
@hans-miniar-jnsson
13 years ago
74 posts

So, as I've stated, well, everywhere I believe, I'm from Iceland.

And I haven't had the "pleasure" of exposing my locs to a proper winter freeze as of yet.

However, I have gone from the gym or pool (or tanning salon, don't judge me, it's not for the tan, it's for the heat into my achy sore body!) with damp hair in the past and only in the few steps from the door to the car I've sometimes felt how the hair clings together and stiffens as the moisture in the hair freezes, and it happens bloody fast.

Now winter approaches in all it's icy glory, and I foresee days when I'll have to shower in the morning or after a work out (or hit the pool) without the 2-4 hours it can take for the locs to go from wet to bone dry before I go outside into as low as -10c (that's 14F for you Americans).

Obviously, when water freezes, it expands, that's just the physics of the thing.
Also, certain frozen fabrics (and frozen non-locs) have been referred to (and proven to be) "brittle".

Therefore, I worry a little.

Anyone have any experience with braving the frozen north with their locs?
Anyone had the chance to experience "Frozen" locs?
Any feedback/thoughts/ideas at all?

It'd be a damned shame if I'd hit the pool as a part of my physical rehabilitation in November just to have my locs break up and fall off as a result. :/

updated by @hans-miniar-jnsson: 01/13/15 09:11:38PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

ive actualy had to wash my dreads outside in that kinda brutal cold

but hate to tell u this they take way longer then 2 hours to dry

but in winter i blow dry

but yea ive had frozen locks b4

just try to get em dry b4 u go out

in winter i try to wash on days when i know i dont gotta go out

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Hans Miniar Jónsson
@hans-miniar-jnsson
13 years ago
74 posts

2-4 is a rough estimate on my locks based on previous experience, but really, I don't actually time 'em ever...

I have the sort of densely packed hair that took up to 3 hours to dry before the locks, and I haven't felt "much" of a difference.

;)

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form