Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

stinky {mildew?} dreadlocks

Tree fae
@tree-fae
12 years ago
7 posts
Mine have a wet dog smell (not really moldy) when they get wet. It's impossible to get my thicker dreads dry with anything less than a blow dryer on high heat for 20 minutes straight, and I have a baby too so way too long for me. I have the Aussie humidity too...I do a lavender and vinegar soak. I would try using a whole lot of lavender oil and the sun to dry it up. Get a blowdryer too,Just warning you, of you let this go and they get mouldy, you can endanger your health and get seriously ill. Mould is no joke.
updated by @tree-fae: 07/23/15 06:14:15PM
Mama Harrison
@mama-harrison
12 years ago
117 posts

eh..bringing this thread back from the dead, huh? Thanks, but my locks are smelling just fine now. I think it was a humid summertime thing ; )

Karen Guy
@karen-guy
11 years ago
36 posts
I also am havng a musty smell problem. About 8wks in. I use Trader Joe's Tea Tree Shampoo or the Citrus Shampoo from TJs. I have gone all natural no other products, only wash in the morning about 3 tmes a week. My daughter has the same problem, my son uses the same shampoo washes the same & swims 3 times a week in the afternoon s his hair is actually wet later in the day & no smell. The only difference is his hair is just to his shoulders. My daughter & I both have hair to the middle of our back. What could be causing the smell? I will try the thyme tea soak, does It have to be fresh herbs or can I use dried? I really don't want to walk around w/a stinky head. Please help thanks
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

get the rot knot from www.dreadlockshampoo.com it works wonders

dont use those shampoos on dreadas!

you have residue buildup from the shampoo

if your daughter doesnt have dreads hers is from tying it up or wearing a hat or pony tail while damp

buns especialy will cause that

if you switch to a non residue shampoo after removing the residues and avoid anything that prevents airflow around them when damp it shouldnt come back

the rot knot will kill all the mildews and molds u got now

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Karen Guy
@karen-guy
11 years ago
36 posts
Thanks SE. Yes my daughter, son & I all are in some stage of dreads. My daughter the longest at 3mth my son only 2wks behind her & I started the journey about 6wks ago. I decided the smell is just like when you leave laundry sit in the washer all wet on a hot day & forget to put it in the dryer or on the line to dry. I will definitely get the rot knot. Just wondering if you know what it could be to prevent it in the future? I Wil stop using the Trader Joe's shampoos & order the dreadlocks shampoo. Just not sure what to change in our routine, we wash in the morning and don't put our hair up until it is all the way dry. Any other tips to prevent stinky dreads would be great!
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

those are the typical causes just being damp with no airflow

--
Karen Guy
@karen-guy
11 years ago
36 posts
SE I checked out the website could not find the Rot Knot, do you know if it is still available? Am I looking in the wrong spot? Thanks
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

shes incredibly slow at getting it up there use the contact us page to tell her you need it and tell her to hurry and put it on the site since dozens are waiting to order

--
Karen Guy
@karen-guy
11 years ago
36 posts
Thanks for the heads up. Maybe I can light a fire lol we need Rot Knot stat, stock those virtual shelves!

/ 4
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form