Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

We need a "My hair won't naturally dread" support group!

Nicole Binns
@nicole-binns
13 years ago
22 posts
This seems like the appropriate place to mention that it's possible to go even further into extreme neglect, but it's something most people are not comfortable doing. It could be called the 'ascetic' method. It will get reliable results quickly. You are able to wash your hair one last time thoroughly with only shampoo, get out any residues, and then, stop using shampoo of any kind, completely. You rinse your hair with plain water only, as often as you want.After a few days, you will see the oil building up on your hair. Keep waiting. Don't wash it. You will have to resist the temptation to wash your hair with some kind of shampoo, and you'll sit there wondering if you can use some other substance that will be similar to shampoo or soap. Use only water and resist the temptation. Your hair will definitely look greasy by now. It will start driving you crazy and you will feel disgusting.After a few weeks, your hair will stick together in greasy strings. This is too gross for most people to tolerate, and that is why most people don't do their dreads using no shampoo and extreme neglect. This is the way that I made mine. If you can put up with this, you will have sticky strings in a couple weeks. A short time later, the roots closest to the head will start to form mature, matted, 'real' dreadlocks, while the hair farther away from the scalp will still be just a string of hair that is hardly tangled at all. You don't need to worry about whether your hair is tangling or not. The greasy strings keep the hair sticking together enough to make the roots get matted.That is the 'desert island' method of getting locks. That is why humans had locks before shampoo and soap were invented, and that is how the donkeys and dogs and other animals who have locks are doing it without backcombing or washing or anything.
updated by @nicole-binns: 07/23/15 02:34:21AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

haha guess thats always an option too

i preffer the go play in the woods method myself

worked fast for me

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
HealingAmungTheTrees
@healingamungthetrees
13 years ago
93 posts

Wow, I am sorry I did not mean to stir up a war. I did not think anyone was telling me to give up, just saying not to feel bad some people jut choose not to wait it out.

The only reason I was hoping to go neglect was because I was not happy with the way my dreads formed last time I did T&R. But my history with being able to go months with out a comb or brush make neglect sound like it won't work. No big deal. I just was wondering if I was the only person with hair like this or if I had some kind of freak hair. If I had my daughter's hair neglect would work so quickly, hers tangles and dreads up when you just look at it the wrong way! LOL

Lets all relax and play nice now :)

Panterra Caraway
@panterra-caraway
13 years ago
667 posts
Well, I have been going neglect for 9 mos. I have really tested my patience. I tried some T&R in the first month or two and it fell out the same day! I tried light backcombing on the bottom neck area and it fell out the next day! I had absolutely NO KNOTS for about 6 mos. atleast. At month 8 I had 11 dreads (not just suggestions of dreads or sections) and now at month 9 I have 19. Most of my progress is across the back but it is slowly moving forward. A million times I wanted to give up but I didn't and I am really glad. I look back at myself in the first monthes and I laugh at how anxious I was. I really thought at one point that I was the only person in the world who had undreadable hair...not true. LMAO
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

the 3 most common facters affecting neglect

1. oiliness odviosly
  2. length ofcourse
  3. human interaction ..how u wash how you dry how u touch it and mess with it

texghture and type do affect it but not as much and wont prevent dreads like those 3 factors wuill

adjust the oiliness or wash and dry techniques and give it enough time it will dreadadd beads and ..it will dread faster

MommaCrunch said:

Wow, I am sorry I did not mean to stir up a war. I did not think anyone was telling me to give up, just saying not to feel bad some people jut choose not to wait it out.

The only reason I was hoping to go neglect was because I was not happy with the way my dreads formed last time I did T&R. But my history with being able to go months with out a comb or brush make neglect sound like it won't work. No big deal. I just was wondering if I was the only person with hair like this or if I had some kind of freak hair. If I had my daughter's hair neglect would work so quickly, hers tangles and dreads up when you just look at it the wrong way! LOL

Lets all relax and play nice now :)

--
Lex
@lex
13 years ago
217 posts

SE you are one of the most confrontational people I have ever encountered. You make me feel like I shouldn't comment on anything, because you are just going to belittle my thoughts and actions. I hate the way this forum males me feel but for some reason I keep coming back to offer my own experiences so people know that there are other options.

I hope I never meet you in real life because I am pretty sure you would find a way to make me cry.

NaturalWomyn
@naturalwomyn
13 years ago
849 posts
I think it's somewhat about our own perception as well, I chose not to backcomb or T & R because I didn't have the time to waste on my hair! lol! we're all different whatever floats your boat :o)

Deborah Lee Mitchell said:
I give people props for doing the neglect method. I don't have the time nor the patience for that. GOOD LUCK!
NaturalWomyn
@naturalwomyn
13 years ago
849 posts
not to say that anyone who did backcomb or used t & r wasted their time, I just meant that I let my hair dread because I didn't want to spend another minute fussing with it, 12 or more hours of backcombing didn't sound like too much fun to me lol! :o)
Vincent G
@vincent-g
13 years ago
11 posts
C'est faux.

Si les dreads se formentavec de la friction, comment serais-ce possible qu'ils se dfassent en essuyant avec une serviette??
L'utilisation d'une serviette cr une friction entre le cuir chevelu, les cheveux et la serviette.
Donc, automatiquement on obtient des noeuds et non pas on les dfais.

Tu devrais rflchir un peut plus avant de dire n'importe quoi.

soaringeagle said:

towel drying can undo knots

does bronneres leave it clean or greasy

whenu wash do u wash the whole hair or just scalp

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts
umm can someone translate?

Vincent G said:
C'est faux.

Si les dreads se formentavec de la friction, comment serais-ce possible qu'ils se dfassent en essuyant avec une serviette??
L'utilisation d'une serviette cr une friction entre le cuir chevelu, les cheveux et la serviette.
Donc, automatiquement on obtient des noeuds et non pas on les dfais.

Tu devrais rflchir un peut plus avant de dire n'importe quoi.

soaringeagle said:

towel drying can undo knots

does bronneres leave it clean or greasy

whenu wash do u wash the whole hair or just scalp

--

/ 7

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form