Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Does section size and shape determine loc size and shape?

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts

dude

a rectrangle dread doesnt end up rectangle right? because they tend to round out

they wioll become round most likely

a 10x1 dread cann become round but most likely a 10x1 dread is the result of 10 dreadss in a row forming a beavertail that can be flat at the root and round at the tip

no matter the shape of the roots they will try to beccime round

i have many teardop or even cresent moon shaped that are round

many many more are long flat lines that are round

take a rectangle chunk of playdoe and roll it what shape will it be? round

hairs moldable ot gets its shapre not from the root sections but from the pressures its been under rolling comprtessing whike u sleep tend to round it

now if u have a round root and u lay on it in a coma fir years without moving you wiull have a flat dread not cause the roots are flat just cause u flattened it in yoyr sleep

no math needed dude

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1

updated by @soaring-eagle: 07/09/15 10:29:26PM
RootsRasta
@rootsrasta
14 years ago
64 posts
i never said anything about dreads becoming square or rectangle
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts

no u said oval if they become oval why wouldnt they become round

thats the point the shape of the section makes no difference in the dread shape period

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
RootsRasta
@rootsrasta
14 years ago
64 posts

i would LOVE shrinkage!! it is a definate indication that the dreads are dreading!

I started short [3-5"] and i am going to have them for the foreseeable future. that way i go on a complete journey of short to long

Dolly
@dolly
14 years ago
49 posts
Oh, holy cow!!! Yes!! Massive shrinkage!!! I sometimes wonder, "where's it all going?"!! I looked at your pictures ... yours look amazing!!!! I'll have to check out the incredibly shrinking dreads group!!!! So many things I was completely unaware of when I started, but it's all good!! This site has been an amazing source of connection with great people and infromation!! I'm with you on the little bit of sadness in losing so much length (don't you love attachment?) ... had it in my head that if they started long they'd stay long!!! Does your hair grow pretty fast? Thanks, M3!!

MagicMeganMama said:
Aw, someone else who has had tons of shrinkage too. I've had the same results as you- waist to shoulders. I just started a group on here called "Incredibly Shrinking Dreads" for posting pics and discussing the massive length loss that some of us have had. It seems that the longer the hair, the more shrinkage there is. Hopefully Knottysleeves idea about gaining some length as they become heavy, will happen. I get sad about how much length I have lost, but I'm loving my dreads enough, that it was worth it.

Dolly said:

Groovy!! Thanks for the encouragement! I started with them at waist length back in Oct and now my hair barely goes past my shoulders!! It feels like with how much they're shrinking that there's so much hair getting pulled up and in that they're going to be six inches in diameter!! Hahah! Of course they won't, but it's kinda wacky! It seems like they'd be harder and harder to separate as time goes on, which is why I was feeling compelled to do something about it now! However, after reading what you and SE wrote, I'm going to carry on with faith and sit back and enjoy the ride!!! Thanks again!!

Knottysleeves said:

The shape isn't really important, it's the size that matters. ;-)

Definitely don't start over! Worst case scenario, in three or six more months you can always split some of the rectangular ones into squares if they're still bothering you.

Dolly
@dolly
14 years ago
49 posts
That's great perspective!! Rather than being attached to my length, I'm learning to let go and embrace what is happening. It's a pretty incredible process to behold!!! I have often wondered if it's not easier to start them short, because then they just get longer over time ... but evidently it doesn't matter ... most of us as humans see what we don't have and want that!! Thanks for your thoughts throughout the thread!!! Yours look like they're doing great, by the way!!!

RootsRasta said:

i would LOVE shrinkage!! it is a definate indication that the dreads are dreading!

I started short [3-5"] and i am going to have them for the foreseeable future. that way i go on a complete journey of short to long

Dolly
@dolly
14 years ago
49 posts

Yeah, it sure does!! We either learn to let go or we get dragged, right? ;)

It'll be fun to keep track of each other's progress!! I'll post some pics on the Incredibly Shrinking group soon!!!

All my best to you .. . and happy holidays!!!

MagicMeganMama said:

Yes, attachments are a funny thing- seem to only make life harder. LOL. And I really had a big attachment to my long hair- which is probably why I lost so much length- so I could overcome the attachment. My dreads have started to tighten up since my "current" picture and don't look so poofy now. My hair normally grows very fast, but I haven't had anyadded lengthyet, as I'm still in the shrinking process. I'm at the 7 month mark, so hopefully they will be done shrinking soon.

Dolly said:
Oh, holy cow!!! Yes!! Massive shrinkage!!! I sometimes wonder, "where's it all going?"!! I looked at your pictures ... yours look amazing!!!! I'll have to check out the incredibly shrinking dreads group!!!! So many things I was completely unaware of when I started, but it's all good!! This site has been an amazing source of connection with great people and infromation!! I'm with you on the little bit of sadness in losing so much length (don't you love attachment?) ... had it in my head that if they started long they'd stay long!!! Does your hair grow pretty fast? Thanks, M3!!

MagicMeganMama said:
Aw, someone else who has had tons of shrinkage too. I've had the same results as you- waist to shoulders. I just started a group on here called "Incredibly Shrinking Dreads" for posting pics and discussing the massive length loss that some of us have had. It seems that the longer the hair, the more shrinkage there is. Hopefully Knottysleeves idea about gaining some length as they become heavy, will happen. I get sad about how much length I have lost, but I'm loving my dreads enough, that it was worth it.

Dolly said:

Groovy!! Thanks for the encouragement! I started with them at waist length back in Oct and now my hair barely goes past my shoulders!! It feels like with how much they're shrinking that there's so much hair getting pulled up and in that they're going to be six inches in diameter!! Hahah! Of course they won't, but it's kinda wacky! It seems like they'd be harder and harder to separate as time goes on, which is why I was feeling compelled to do something about it now! However, after reading what you and SE wrote, I'm going to carry on with faith and sit back and enjoy the ride!!! Thanks again!!

Knottysleeves said:

The shape isn't really important, it's the size that matters. ;-)

Definitely don't start over! Worst case scenario, in three or six more months you can always split some of the rectangular ones into squares if they're still bothering you.

/ 2
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form