Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

how do u test your hairs ph?

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
after reading up on articles claiming baking soda harms hair (if not followed by acv) i started to wonder how do u test the hairs ph to see if your in a healthy range?now lil info on ph and hair and how baking soda and acv affect itph is a range from 0 to 14 it measures the acidity or alkaline state of a substance (hair in this case)7.0 being neutral14.0 very alkaline0.0 very acidichair is normaly 5.0-5.5making soda 9.0 (i think)and acv i thinks around 4.0while cleaning hair baking soda alters the ph to a 9 this while cleaning it opens all the cuticles (partialy why it cleans so well removing dirt ph ballancesd shampoos cant getto while the cuticles are closed)open cuticles alow moisture penetration as well ..this is good to a point, but if they are not sealed up u can get too much moisture penetration in some cases and lose all your moisture in othersto close cuticles if you use a ph ballanced shampoo hot water opens them cold water closes them..if the ph is in the 5 range if they are alkaline acv or any acidic like lemon juice will close them this is the sealing in moisture that makes them soft and feel conditoned without conditioners this softeness wont harm dreadsnow backcombing permenantly pries open many or most of these cuticles at least on the ends where backcombed new growth should react normallyanyway i just wanna know how do u test the ph to see if your in the healthy range?

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1

updated by @soaring-eagle: 01/13/15 08:51:48PM
Lukey Luke
@lukey-luke
14 years ago
26 posts

well you could try to do it similar to the way we do it in the hort trade. get your dreads saturated (but not dripping), set aside enough water so that some will run out (shouldn't take too much, a cup or two maybe), and test the pH of it to make sure its pretty close to neutral. pour it through your dreads and collect as much runoff as you can, then test that. Those cheap little pH sticks should work well enough to get a general idea, unless you want to spend a bunch of money and go all high tech lol. I don't know if it works for dreads, but thats the "proper" way to test for soil pH anyways.

Panterra Caraway
@panterra-caraway
14 years ago
667 posts

Hair will adopt the ph of the products used. When I was in beauty college we used litmus paper to test the individual products used on the hair and divide by that number. In other words, if a shampoo you used was a 7, and your conditioner was a 5 and your mousse was a 3...your ph is a 5, which is balanced. A trichometer measures tensile strength or "stretchability" of the hair and we kept one in the salon to add in the decision to chemically process a client or not. As far as reading an actual ph on the hair itself..I would guess that that would only be possible by a hair analysis in a lab. It is possible to map the use of drugs and trace minerals on the hair, so I assume you could probably map the ph as well.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts

i was r=thinking something simular but wasnt sure how it would work

i think i have a ph test kit here somewhere ill try that when i find it

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Kyle
@kyle
14 years ago
14 posts
Get a litmus strip ph tester and Saturate a small amount of water (neutral) With your hair in a cup then see where it ends up on the test. Just an idea
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form