Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Hi, i'm new.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
if your paranoid u should be paranoid about what a salon will do to udread perms (ewwwww) interlocking completely smothering u in wax hell theress even 1 that used liquid latex instead of wax1 salons pictures had a woman with liberty spike dreads standing straight up 2 feet! with hugbe huge wisde sections and tapering to poointy tipsi guarantee if u go to a salon and waste several hundred bucks that u will be starting over the right way the next dayt..unfortunately some salons cause perme ant harm that u cannot recover from without shaving and starting overwhen u do your own u will have dreads to be proud ofespecialy if u just let nature do em for u

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1

updated by @soaring-eagle: 07/23/15 05:04:52PM
Jerry
@jerry
14 years ago
15 posts
Hi,

I'm not paranoid about what the salon may do because i will be in charge of that. Maybe it is different from the salons you're familliar with, but if i say: do A, they do A. If they 'recommend' B and i say NO i want A, i will get A. The salons you talk about sound pretty agressive, concluding from your oppinion/stories about it. And I totally agree that people should avoid those salons! However......You make it sound like once you enter a salon, you're subjected to their will. But that is not the case with my salon.
And also it will not cost me several hundred bucks (well, euros in my case). Moreover, the price includes 1 maintanence. They actually encouraged me to maintain my dreads myself. But i still have to decide on a method. They do twisting or backcombing.

But thanks for all the advice you gave me. I hope I do not come across ass agressive or rude, I just display my thoughts. And react on the thoughts of others.

Greetz

soaringeagle said:
if your paranoid u should be paranoid about what a salon will do to u
dread perms (ewwwww) interlocking completely smothering u in wax hell theress even 1 that used liquid latex instead of wax
1 salons pictures had a woman with liberty spike dreads standing straight up 2 feet! with hugbe huge wisde sections and tapering to poointy tips

i guarantee if u go to a salon and waste several hundred bucks that u will be starting over the right way the next dayt..unfortunately some salons cause perme ant harm that u cannot recover from without shaving and starting over

when u do your own u will have dreads to be proud of
especialy if u just let nature do em for u
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
u can do it far better yourself and we have never seen anyone satisfied with salon dreads ..most started over right doing them themselves within 3 weeksand yea they do push u into bad things by claiming thats the only thing thsat will work for unot 1 will ever tell u that u do not need them at all and that your haiir will dread better if u simply let it dread on itss own..in fact they will tell u it will either never dread on its own r will look terible and you will need to come in and get it fixedbackcombing in african textured hair is very damagingand twists well u will have tiny lil extremely tightly twisted lil nubs with huge huge gaps between themyour better off doing looser finger twists no gel at allu cant mess it up..but salons sure can

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Fay Brotherhood
@fay-brotherhood
14 years ago
59 posts
I think the chief thing you must remember Jerry is that dreadlocks are a natural state of being for hair without a brush. It just........ happens. Beautifully, on its own. Anyone trying to sell you a product is doing that..... a salon. dreadhead hq, knotty boy etc etc..... It will not do their business any good to say "yea, you can do all this stuff for free with a minimum of effort......"Listen to the people who are not out to make money. Its there you will find the truth. Money makers will sell you lies to make money.......You can help your dreads along to form, but if you just give your hair a couple of weeks alone, it will TELL you what it wants to do. it will form its own sections, telling you where your dreads should be. Don't force it. Let nature decide, and then if you life maybe help it on a lil bit with T and R or something :)
so would've i
@so-wouldve-i
14 years ago
71 posts
I think she was just saying that african hair and/or kinkier, curlier hair holds small locks better.. I would agree and think it makes sense. My hair has always been somewhat curly for caucasian hair and all of the ones I twisted have held brilliantly. My friend who has smooth, straight, fine hair tried twist and rip method and it was completely unsuccessful for her.

Thundersquall said:
Um, to the above poster, how do you figure african hair is more suited to small locks and that straight hair is better for large ones? Granted, most black folks celebreties included rock small ones, but african hair by nature tends to be THICK and BUSHY, so thick locks are just as perfect as small ones.

As to the original post. Bro i am halfrican american myself and can tell you what i have been doing.
1. Throw the pic away
2. Shampoo with organic soap shampoo bar made for dreads once or twice a week. No conditioner.
3. Hot oil treatment once a week with jojoba oil. Excellent. for dry african type hair.
4. Wait.

I am stopped picking the first week of november and already my hair is matted and sectioning off. I was going to get twists originally like you, cause they do look good for our hair type. But deciding to go natural was a liberating decision, one which my hair is taking to quite happily. I know you want some "clean" looking dreads, but you can also achieve this with natural you just gotta seperate them into the proper sections once its locked and let the hair do the rest. Not trying to change your mind but seeing the progression of your hair is a rewarding experience bruh, for real.
so would've i
@so-wouldve-i
14 years ago
71 posts
I just think it's kind of a joke to pay someone to do something you can -EASILY- do yourself. And you don't need to pay for maintenance at all besides a bar of good hair soap.I did mine myself, I love them, and all I had seen to do them off of were youtube videos.

Jerry said:
Hi,

I'm not paranoid about what the salon may do because i will be in charge of that. Maybe it is different from the salons you're familliar with, but if i say: do A, they do A. If they 'recommend' B and i say NO i want A, i will get A. The salons you talk about sound pretty agressive, concluding from your oppinion/stories about it. And I totally agree that people should avoid those salons! However......You make it sound like once you enter a salon, you're subjected to their will. But that is not the case with my salon.
And also it will not cost me several hundred bucks (well, euros in my case). Moreover, the price includes 1 maintanence. They actually encouraged me to maintain my dreads myself. But i still have to decide on a method. They do twisting or backcombing.

But thanks for all the advice you gave me. I hope I do not come across ass agressive or rude, I just display my thoughts. And react on the thoughts of others.

Greetz

soaringeagle said:
if your paranoid u should be paranoid about what a salon will do to u
dread perms (ewwwww) interlocking completely smothering u in wax hell theress even 1 that used liquid latex instead of wax
1 salons pictures had a woman with liberty spike dreads standing straight up 2 feet! with hugbe huge wisde sections and tapering to poointy tips

i guarantee if u go to a salon and waste several hundred bucks that u will be starting over the right way the next dayt..unfortunately some salons cause perme ant harm that u cannot recover from without shaving and starting over

when u do your own u will have dreads to be proud of
especialy if u just let nature do em for u
Thundersquall
@thundersquall
14 years ago
235 posts
I dont have a web cam currently unfortunately so i cant post what my hair is looking like as of right now. But i can tell you that it basically looks like little sections sprouted all over my head, varying in size and thickness. My hair isnt quite 5 inches i dont think so obviously they dont hang down yet but instead stand up. Some folks looking at them can definately tell im getting dreads, short tho they may be. And no, they dont look like little gelled up spikes; very natural looking actually. If you search "freeform dreadlocks" you can find examples of what other black folks hair looks like, though theirs is seperated/sectioned differently then yours may want to.Its actually not a bad look jerry, just not as "clean" looking as say getting twists. I like to hop in the shower after waking up cause they tend to be smashed to one lop sided side but after i get outof the shower they perk right back up. Your hair may section itself differently then mine, but watching each indivudual ones progress is chill and as soon as you find one thats just matted and stuck you remember it. That is part of why i say it can be a rewarding experience.
Thundersquall
@thundersquall
14 years ago
235 posts
Also, another thing to consider is this; whether you go with salon methods or completely freeform, i have been told the key thing to realize is that once they are mature, you will have to seperate them into desired sections no matter what method you used to start them. So yea lets say getting twists looks good and in neat sections but once those little curly fry lookin twists lock up and mature, they will want to eat eachother, making the idea of initial sectioning somewhat redundant. Again tho, SE told me this so safe to say its legit.

And that is another reason why i went natural.

/ 3
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form