Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Fly away strays and puffy ends

runawayjosh
@runawayjosh
14 years ago
32 posts
Hi everyone I am new to the site although I have been reading posts for weeks and getting a better understanding of everything. 5 months ago I made the decision to do it. (Get dready)...anyway, I know SE will ask so I had someone backcomb and dread perm, (yeah a so-called professional and this was before I found your site). Never-the-less ever since reading here I gave up trying to be so diligent with up-keep and just let it do its thing. I now use only residue free-soap and aloe from time to time. Most dreads are locking up at the base, although some hair at the base is longer than others and many strays wandering. Also at the ends of the strands there are some puffy ones (alot like a flower before the morning sun wakes him/her up). So my real question is as my hair starts to lock-up more and more will all these strays everywhere just get eaten up by the dread itself or will I have to somehow thread them back into the dread? Also on a good handful I have loops that are like hairs trying to back out of the dread itself...it seems as thought they are not going anywhere. What should I do with those troublemakers?BTW-Soaring Eagle I saw your video of your 20 year old dreads and I am amazed. Its almost inspirational to see the dedication to something like that...I hope one day I can have the patience to do so. I also chose to backcomb vs. natural because I am a teacher and wanted it to be a little more tidy, so to speak (ha ha I guess that backfired huh?)Peace and Thanks for Listening,Josh
updated by @runawayjosh: 01/13/15 08:50:43PM
Natty Dave
@natty-dave
14 years ago
56 posts
lumps bumps and loops are all normal and part of the process, i believe it has a lot to do with the actual locking and tightening and it's a positive sign of progress, nothing to worry about. i'm not sure what you mean about the puffy parts though.i'm not familiar with dread perms but isn't that where they use a chemical to damage the hair? i would think this could cause some trouble in the future as the damaged parts may break off and you'll end up with more loose hair while you wait for the new growth to dread but regardless, with dreads, the answer to all problems seems to be time and patience
runawayjosh
@runawayjosh
14 years ago
32 posts
yeah I am pretty sure a dread perm is exactly what you think...I did this before I found the site. The guy who did it told me it would help with the locking process and what did I know he has long, beautiful dreads and that's what he said he did. OK so I will love the bumps and the lumps and the loops and the adolescent little fly aways that want to be non-conformists....ha ha...Thanks.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
dread perms are the worse thing u can do and should only be done as a last resort idf u try everything else for years and they all failedmost who dread perm end up cutting off the permed parts once the dreads grow in cause theres a permenant texture change and severe dammage

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
runawayjosh
@runawayjosh
14 years ago
32 posts
SE....yeah I was thinking that was what I would do when everything locks up and they start growing a bit. I should have known better, but like I said it took me awhile to stumble onto this site, had I found this place before the backcombing there is no way I would have let someone do a dread perm. Thanks all.
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form