Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

I am in the process of getting dreadlocks. Why do I feel like a fake?

LillyPilly
@lillypilly
14 years ago
16 posts
I'm going through some major life changes and rediscovering my true self after having suppressed the real me for so long due to needing to be "very corporate" in my employment.Since then I have switched jobs and now work in a very laid back, but still corporate environment.I've begun the process of my dreadlocks, have put some thread around a few and some beads too. I'm holding them back with a nice headband I made myself. All classic dreadlock accessories. However, what else am I going to decorate them with except for beads, threads and shells, and what else will I hold back the straggly bits with, but a nice headband? lol.I feel that even though I've been really happy and comfortable with my hair this way (actually more happy than I have been in years), I can't help but feel that I've gone from being a neat, tidy corporate chick, to a dreadlock chick, complete with beads and thread. All this over the space of a few months though, not overnight.Does this make sense to anyone? Sorry, I'm not explaining myself very well.
updated by @lillypilly: 02/14/15 04:36:29AM
Thundersquall
@thundersquall
14 years ago
235 posts
Im not sure exactly what you are saying. As far as working the corporate job and being able to have dreads thats sweet if they are cool with it, though i myself would leave the beads and whatnot out while at work..Dreads attract enough attention as they are ya know? =) But hey if u can rock it, do it.It is a change having dreads. I was always a clean cut guy with either cornrows or a clean fade. But i couldnt be happier since having decided to grow natural dreads. Most people are afraid of change, but like a catepillar into a butterfly, it can be a positive metamorphisis.
Jdwood
@jdwood
14 years ago
275 posts
Sometimes after wearing a mask for so long we forget the face that hides under it. When we are "forced" to look or act a way that is not ourselves and then decided to find the real person that we are it takes some time to adjust to it and to accept that we are different. I when trough something similar myself.
NaturalWomyn
@naturalwomyn
14 years ago
849 posts
sounds like an identity crisis! ;o) I think you maybe need to realize that you don't have to fit into a neat lil category. You don't have to be either wholly corporate or fit the exact stereotypes of a dreadie. Figure out what you like and forget the rest. Just be you and you will be content. Many Blessings
taye
@taye
14 years ago
833 posts
you are rediscovering you! That is a beautiful thing. The real you is not a fake. You were just a dready mama inside waiting for the moment to shine :) Embrace it and stop worrying about what others think. If you are happier in the new self/true self then i don't see an issue at all :)
so would've i
@so-wouldve-i
14 years ago
71 posts

NaturalWomyn said:
sounds like an identity crisis! ;o) I think you maybe need to realize that you don't have to fit into a neat lil category. You don't have to be either wholly corporate or fit the exact stereotypes of a dreadie. Figure out what you like and forget the rest. Just be you and you will be content. Many Blessings
^ couldn't have said it better myself, i love this post!!
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
why decorate to fit a sterotypical dreadie chickwhy tie em back to fit a corporate dreadie chickleave em be to be as they wanna be and u will feel so much more like you

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Diana
@diana
14 years ago
4 posts
ive been struggling with the same type of thing since i was born. sometimes the change can feel really weird at times. you shouldn't feel bad about being on an in between or for changing from one thing to another. i oftern get crap for being a punk rocker, and a hippy at the same time. but those are just names to categorize me from other soemthing to give it a name because it unfamiliar. embrace what you love and let urself love it. wther dreads, corporate look or anything else it doesnt need a name, except yours. like you said, "I've been really happy and comfortable with my hair this way (actually more happy than I have been in years)" just remember that. and as for if ur stressing about what to put in your hair or hold it back with, have fun with it. i feel like what you accessorize your hair with is to reflect you, but not to prove something to others, but your own enjoyment and chance to be creative. i think its awesome you made your own headband! its your hair and your choice what to do with it :)and some words of comfort, ive been through changes like this plenty of times, your not alone, and these struggles with self only end with good outcomes. if u ever need to talk, though we dont know each other, im happy to listen or give some words!
Brandon Arnold
@brandon-arnold
14 years ago
184 posts
No worries! I know how you feel sort of. I never really fit into a category myself. I had a mohawk for years and most kids were afraid of me and ended up being my best friends. Never stuck to one genre of music. I work at walmart and attend college with dreads! Kind of all random stuff to mention, but the point i'm trying to make is just do what you want to do and don't worry about categorizing yourself. As long as you are happy!
Honest Abe
@honest-abe
14 years ago
1 posts
this makes perfect sensethose of us who are aware, cognicent, live with our eyes openstill hold ourselves and our actions accountablestill while none of them doyou want your decision to be pure and who out there even cares, even considers their actions or their motivesexpress yourself without hesitationcolor and decorate and celebrate yourself with a smile and pridethis makes perfect sensebutit's insanity that you would doubt yourself
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form