Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

looking for a easy and painless way to dread.

gregory portes
@gregory-portes
14 years ago
3 posts
i was thinking since i didnt want to go through the pain and time of backcombing i thought of a way to do dreads. i was thinking to twist my hairs very tightly then putting a band to hold each twist. while sleeping on the dreads and not using conditioner for a while i think it would tighten and in time become a dread. tell me what you guys think btw i have nappy hair also if you guys have any other painless ways to do dreads let me know.
updated by @gregory-portes: 02/14/15 08:50:41AM
MT_mommy
@mt-mommy
14 years ago
13 posts
First of all, dreading shouldn't be painful to begin with. Quit brushing your hair and as your sections form, make sure they stay separate at the root to prevent congos. No pain there.If you want to help your dreads along, you can backcomb, which shouldn't hurt if done correctly (if it hurts your head, then you're doing an awful lot of damage to your hair and you don't want that). You can also help your dreads along by using the twist and rip method, which may sound painful, but isn't if also done correctly. I helped my 3 year old's dreads with twist and rip and she didn't complain one bit. She's got baby fine, caucasian, very straight hair and hers are locking up super fast just by leaving them alone and letting them do their thing.Whatever you do, don't put rubber bands in your hair. Rubber bands cause breakage, get lost in the dread and rot. Plus, dirt and grime gets caught under them and it's gross. Besides, the idea you posted above wouldn't allow your hair to dread anyway. It would prevent knots from forming and knotting is the ultimate goal.Dreads are painless, but take time to form and mature. If you're looking for insta-dreads, I'd get a wig. Other than that, if your hair is nappy like you say, it should lock up without much help anyway. All hair forms knots eventually if left alone.Good luck with your journey!!!
dreadlockedlady
@dreadlockedlady
14 years ago
39 posts
Since you have nappy hair, just freeform from the start...that's pretty easy, minimal pain.If you twist, don't twist tightly also, you won't need a rubber band to hold the twist.Depending on how nappy your hair is LOL, conditioner stoppage won't affect your hair's ability to dread.I used conditioner from the start and had no issues.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
just go naturalu have nappy hair it will dread bnaturally so easywhy would u try to force dreasas when thye easiest most pain free way to dread is the way dreads always were dreaded b4 all these silly methods?btw backcomb is a really dumb idea for nappy hairthrow away the combstop confditioning unless its real drylet it dreadseperate em as u see fitnothings as easy and pain free as doing nothing

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
why anyone would say u need to have pain or the only other options synthetic dreads is beyond mejust go natural..no pain all gain..pure pleasure

--
Felicia
@felicia
14 years ago
1 posts
Thanks for the rubber band info I was using them to lock a weaker thinner lock to a stronger one. What should I do than?
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
well just seperating is natural methodfreeform organic and neglect are all i guess u can say flavors of natural dreads just depends on if you dont intervene at all in how they choose to develop, or if you seperate to control the sizesthe other term u used or tried to use is twist and ripor twist and pullthats relatively pain free but is more for non nappy hairfor nappy hair well anny hair naturals the easiest most pain free and healthiest way to dread..most traditional as well

--
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
oruse nothingif the thin locks next to a thick lock they will join id u just dont seperateu never gotta force dreads just allow em

--
gregory portes
@gregory-portes
14 years ago
3 posts
how do you do the twist and rip way like explain how its done also thanks alot for the info helped alot also should i seperate them in rows or random and how do i separate them and how do i keep my hair clean and smelling good without using conditioner or anything that will relax my hair

soaringeagle said:
just go natural
u have nappy hair it will dread bnaturally so easy
why would u try to force dreasas when thye easiest most pain free way to dread is the way dreads always were dreaded b4 all these silly methods?
btw backcomb is a really dumb idea for nappy hair

throw away the comb
stop confditioning unless its real dry
let it dread
seperate em as u see fit

nothings as easy and pain free as doing nothing
taye
@taye
14 years ago
833 posts
twist and rip is hard to explain but real easy to do. take a strand of hair twist it around divide it into 2 sections, take a piece from each section and switch sides..kinda like braiding.pull the two pieces wide apart to push the knot towards the roots.continue doing this all the way down the strand of hair.twist separate into 2 pieces grab a bit from opposite side on and on.search the videos.....i saw one i think was called "my twist and rip method" it will show you better than i can describe it. Sorry i couldn't explain it better.
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form