Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

ripping congos: will it get better

joyful.d
@joyfuld
14 years ago
9 posts
My dreadies are about 5 months old and looking really good. They're locking up well and starting to really look like dreads, rather than just messy, fuzzy hair. :) I rinse or do a bs/acv wash about twice a week, more if necessary (though that's rare). What I find, though, is that every time I get them thoroughly wet, they congo at the roots like crazy. I have to go through them carefully afterward and painfully rip them apart to keep them from joining permanently.Is this an issue that will improve - at least a little! - with maturity, or should I expect that my naturally very curly hair will also trend towards serious congoes?
updated by @joyfuld: 01/13/15 08:49:58PM
JESSICA EVA (Eva Lovelocks)
@jessica-eva-eva-lovelocks
14 years ago
217 posts
i think it does end up getting better. i seperate about once a week when my hair is dry, because when hair is wet it is weaker, so i think it would lead to more breakage if you do it while wet. i think you just have to put up with it!
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
wellits easier yo break when wet but in this case thats what u want is to break connecting hairs more easily

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
NaturalWomyn
@naturalwomyn
14 years ago
849 posts
yes it will get better but by how much is different for everybody. Mine are only at 8 months and I never have to rip anything apart anymore. That could change later on but for now they just keep getting tighter individually w/o eating each other. Some people have their dreads for may moons and still have to rip apart occasionally. So you'll pretty much just have to wait and see! :o)
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
lets put it this way i ripped alot long ago weekly about andstill got 3 or so that 2 joinedthen i left em goin 3 months 5-8 grww together but that was from 3-6 that became 1 eaxch.. after nearly 3 years dozens grew togerther i never let any get over an inch but probly got 30 or more that combined between 2-6 max (i think)found a buncha new babies since stopping jojoba and adding sea salt a weekthose i seperated slightly to see what they doif some thin ones really want to be 1 maybe let em..big ones keep seperate..it gets less and less but u will always hafta seperate unlrss u just dont wanna noo more

--
NaturalWomyn
@naturalwomyn
14 years ago
849 posts
i think it depends on your hair texture and the thickness of your dreads my husbands coming up on 5 years in a few months and he hasn't had to separate his dreads in over 4 years. They just don't try to congo anymore. He has very thick hair and phat dreads though so....
Faelwynn
@faelwynn
14 years ago
362 posts
At first, I too had to separate like mad... then as I started approaching 6-8 months, I didn't need to very often anymore... then I decided to force two to congo, and from there there's been minimal separation. I just make sure to go through each one every few days and make sure I don't get mega congos at the root...as those could be really painful to separate. It'll get better I'm sure! But it's hard for any of us to say exactly when.
joyful.d
@joyfuld
14 years ago
9 posts
Awesome, that's a great pseudo-consensus. It's not that I mind doing a little maintenance - especially because it's pretty much the only thing I ever do to them besides washing them - it's just that the congoing recently got worse and separating got WAY more painful and time consuming. It's nice to think that I can likely look forward to them congoing less at some point in the future.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
make the seperating extra thouroughinsteasd of just ripping which can compact some knots to the rootsafter u rip take a fingertip and try to get under anty hairs between that are flattened to the scalp if u get under ant hairs between dreads oull upward this way if u seperate to the scalp theres alot less chance they will recombine soon

--
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form