Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

crochet dreads recovery more then twice as long as expected

Lex
@lex
14 years ago
217 posts
Oh, and now, I officially know the first white kid I have ever seen with a very shiny dread perm, or twists. I can't tell because they are so thin and wormy and shiny.SE want to talk him out of this madness for me?
updated by @lex: 07/13/15 07:53:12PM
NaturalWomyn
@naturalwomyn
14 years ago
849 posts
weird! we are like complete opposites on that!! ;) I have as many dready friends (or more) as straight haired friends and they all went natural. Most of them have never even heard of any other way. I guess it depends on where you live? I did meet one kid at the last festival I was at that had super neat maintained locks and I'm assuming he crocheted but I didn't ask him. Different strokes for different folks I guess...

Lex said:
a lot of the people I know who prefer crochet dreads have or have had dreads themselves. I know a couple of white dreadheads, both with dreads that are around 13 years old, who swear by interlocking. They have a son who has been dreading since birth and his dreads are interlocked too, and he is almost eight now.

I thought it was strange that so many people on this forum went natural, when I only I know one person IRL who did, and at least six others who much prefer methods that are considered harmful on this site.

It is a very strange dready world out there, and only a fraction of it ever shows its ace on the internet.
Lex
@lex
14 years ago
217 posts
It probably has a lot to do with the fact that I live in Detroit, and since African Americans are the majority they tend to encourage really maintained locks. It might also have to do with the fact that since I am in a highly industrialized area a neat "professional" look is usually important.Definitely the area though :)
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
philly has a huge rasta population so u see rastas everywhere doing everything 1/2 the street venders are rastas..many artists poets u name ittheyre oiteraly everywherefrom germantown and main line with the million dollar mansions to the worse ghetos u see dreads all overbut i travel alot tooi see some manicured locks suretypicaly they fall into 2 generalitiesyoung guys late teens early 20s black with perfect manu=icured locks (a few not a whole lot) or older black women who seem like pta typessorta semi conservativeevery once in awhile at odunde or somrthing u will see 1 with manicured dreads and traditional african dress and it just seems off against the backdrop of all the natural dreadsoh but like i was saying back on the road traviling alotya do see some backcombed but not over maintainedbut ya see way more natural and im talking coast to coastthere are like micropockets of manicured dreads i guess maybe its just the naturak ones stand ouit more are more memorable i mean cause from a lil distance the manicured ones and braids look exactly alike so u arent even sure which yoir looking at without looking closeralso i mean the majotity of the dreads i hang out with arent in the city at all but deep in the wilderness ontop of a mountain far from babylon and salonso even tho my city has a lotta natural dreads and large rasta population i know way more dreads from miles from nowhere where the nearest mirrors a 2 hour hike to acar to drive 2 more hours to get to a mirror (wekll i know cars have mirrors just making a point)

Lex said:
It probably has a lot to do with the fact that I live in Detroit, and since African Americans are the majority they tend to encourage really maintained locks. It might also have to do with the fact that since I am in a highly industrialized area a neat "professional" look is usually important.

Definitely the area though :)

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
in the tredgicly humerouse section theres a dreadlocking tool an angineering student designed and pattented (but as far as i know its never been used on any head but his cause most dreads laugh when thery heard about itits called amultihead variable rotating something or otherbasicly just that a tobe that rotates and ponds the dread with tiny needleshe was looking for testing colunteers on another forum years sgo and ppl were amazed anyone would evenm think up suchj a dumb thingthen he went and got a pattent

rawsum said:
heyyyyy... just thought of a REAL money maker... take on of those portable sewing machines oooooor maybe a tattoo gun and put crochet needles in .. then just run up and down the dread and presto... no loose hairs.. I better check youtube to see if it's already been done :D

soaringeagle said:
well we ware both right
beauty is in the eye of the beholder but the tastes of the beholder is often influenced by what is pushed on them as ideal...nit always some ppl reject those ideals and have a more broad open mind
but the vast magority is extremely influenced by the images they are tod are correct

hell have u ever seen those crazy comercials for a product called booty pump or something? basicly a prosthetic ass to make u look like u got gheto booty it looks completely rediculouse and like its meant to be a parody but with more whites getting into hiphop or whatever apatently ppl try to imitate that look with a fake ass
the media in that case influenced a subsection of socierty to believe thats a prefferable look so creatted a way to fake it and sell a product
in fact, im pretty sure most ppl never even thought about wanting that look untill the product came out and attempted to make it look desirable
same with that bumpit thing that chicks get to put under theyre hair that makes it stick up or a thousand other products

ask yourself this

would people want manicured locks iif nobody was manicuring loccks?
someone has to create the buzz
jonny clean comes along
here buy this wax up yoir dreads and never fear a loose hair again

so along somes a new group who think thats an improvement
and then comes a guty with a needle saying dont feel sticky just poke away all day to p[erfect coformity

creating the product and saying its better then the old way automaticly creates yje idea in theyre minds thawt it is

in the world instread of excersizing, moving or playing we not have better alternatives to dieting and living just chop out 1/2 the stomach
swollaw a tawpeworm put on a belthat elecrricutes your abs..always something worse they tell u is better so u fall into the gotta have it mentality

the very fact that anyone crochets can be traced back to a "authority" saying crochet is better then
______

marketibg is powerful
look at the popularity of energy drinks
then compare that to the taste
do u think anyone anywhere would have ever drank more then a sip without the promice of spinging wings and having the energy of a 2 year old on steroids

alotta the crazy thibngs u think u desire u only desire because of matketting promicong an p\utcome

axe ..axe shows images of girlds fondeling your balls to sell what appears to be just a spinge
theyre making millions claiming girls will like ya if yu stink of that shit (i can only assume it stinks since most stuff like that does)

with crochet..the promice is acceptence and emplotyabikuty
crochet in a salon and u will get a job and not be an outcaste

all products desires are born out od a promice of a result no matter how fake
eat at subway and u wont be fat
wqear gucci and they wont think u live in a gheto
buy nikes and you will win the olympocs

shoes are shoues they gotta cover your feet and not cause pasin
but instead of 20 dollars u will pay 200 for the pronmice of making others jealouse..being in style ..admired by those with less money

to buy into a harmful product or method someones gotta be feeding u lies that u should want it that its better

dont believe me4? take a sip of an enrrgy drink and try to enjoy it just for the taste alone

its the same with dreads u are fed the idea that 1 is better then the other cause its more expensive..status..i can afford 500 a month to not even have to wash my own hair and have them maintained for me

remember awhile back we had someone whos freind spent 14 thousand dollars maintaining his dreads only to have them fall off?

all along he thoighy he had superior dreads being professionaly maintained he never even washed them withoit going to the loctician
when they started falling off he went to the loctician
and kept goibg till they were too far gone to save

14 thousand dollars to comfort himself to make him think he had better dreads

all it ise is u buying into an idea that something harmful is somehow better

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1

/ 3
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form